- advertisement -

"...What's YOUR number..."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ronin1966, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

"What's YOUR number"

Not the best or even a smart way to begin a conversation with me, not ever!

Ask me how my day was first? Ask me if I saw what the dog carrying your shoe across the kitchen trying to get a cookie in trade. Ask me anything you want but DO NOT EVER start any conversation by asking "...what my numbers are..."

Not unless you want a serious fight. And it won't go well for you...:cool:

I'm curious whether other diabetics, parents of diabetics understand that view? (Badly phrased though it is...)

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Wow, the first thing I thought of when I read the title was a Science Olympiad contest of the same name.

I must be losing my touch, as diabetes wasn't the first thing I thought of.

I do try to have some conversation with my son before asking what his reading was. Actually, he doesn't ever remember, so I ask him for his meter and look it up myself.

3. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Our school nurse emails us Andrew's numbers every day, & I love it! I worry about him & I'm dying to know how things are going. This way, I can know, but still ask Andrew about his day instead of his numbers. Thanks for the reminder! I hope you can work something out to relieve the concerns of those who love you & allow you talk about the rest of your life!

I noticed that you are new - Welcome to CWD!

4. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Thank for sharing your perspective. I try very hard to welcome my daughter home with a "how was your day?" and then when she's off to shower, check her meter for the numbers. ;) I know she's not a number, but some days, I have to admit, that's what comes out of my mouth, especially if I know that her day at school might have been trying or unusual. :eek:

5. Toni

Toni Banned

I don't have to ask. Still get them all.:D But when she is older we will have to turn this over to her, hook, line and sinker. Turning such a burden over to her is going to bother me. And at some point we won't know what is going on at all. I think that will cause more worry than knowing.

6. Rukio

Rukio Banned

xD About all I get asked is "What was your bloodsugar?"
    Least its not as bad as a friend of mine who was diagnosed about 6 or 7 years ago, whos own dad won't speak to him except to say "Whats your bloodsugar." for two years. That must have been rough.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

I appreciate the reminder. :)

In the early days after diagnosis I was guilty of this as my daughter's safety was first and foremost in my mind, and I didn't yet have the experience to know that The Number could wait for a few minutes until we'd had a chance to chat and share how our days are going.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I've realized I've substituted "what's your number?" by "Are you ok?":rolleyes:
    My son always answers " Yeeees mom. Stop asking." :eek::eek:

Need to work on that.;)

9. Ronin1966

Hello Amy:

<Amused>

And what do you do with that "knowledge" prey tell? :D

10. Ronin1966

Hello KimbyCox:

Thank you for the welcome.... new to this site but my dragon and I are ancient enemies.! With time I shall teach it obedience as it has taught me respect :cool:

11. Ronin1966

Hello StillMamamia:

<<Need to work on that. ;)

Yup... (understanding smile)

It is as if, by knowing that information you (generic) wish to protect us from ourselves :eek: ??? And though perhaps understandable, its an impolite question to ask...

12. Ronin1966

Hello Rukio:

Interesting quotes....

There are ways to find out without coming across like a control freak or just plain nasty. Asked enough, or repetitively and the question becomes the voice of Charlie Brown's Teacher.....

13. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I don't quite understand.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

Thanks for the reminder! This is something I work at on a daily basis!

15. Ronin1966

Hello Rukio:

My reference to the cartoon "Charlie Brown" and the character of the teacher was my attempt at explaining if I say something often enough, in an endless repetition, like a broken record going over the same sound for hours again and again....

Like the character of the charlie brown teacher all you hear is noise... not the actual words said. Repeat something like WHATS YOUR NUMBER enough and it becomes a meaningless sound effect... ignored

Better?

16. Rukio

Rukio Banned

xD. I started repeating "whats your number" over and over and by the end it was coming out "Mucha wumber" xD