- advertisement -

What's your least favorite thing about holiday clean up?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by DsMom, Jan 4, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Been staring at our drooping Christmas tree and dreading having to take it down today. Taking down the tree is definitely my least favorite thing about Christmas. Just hate putting all these ornaments back and trying to separate the lights from the tree...which always seem to want to hang onto those branches for dear life! Last year, was so grumpy by the time I was taking the tree out the door that I was careless and took out a favorite Christmas bowl with ornaments in it WITH the tree as I tried to squeeze it through our foyer. Love real trees, but am really starting to consider a pre-lit artificial one!

(Although, this year, my REALLY least favorite thing was having the entire family, including me, sick with a stomach bug, over Christmas break, two of us on Christmas day!:( You can tell by my mood...am still recovering from that whole thing!)

So, misery loves company!:p Please share your least favorite thing about cleaning up Christmas. Funny stories appreciated...I need a laugh!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

We've been clearing up today as well (my sister and I). Whilst she was tidying inside, I wrestled the tree out of the door and into the garden to try to detach it from the base. I ran inside for a jacket because it was freezing outside and really, really windy. When I got back out, the tree was gone. It was dark so Ruth and I were running around the garden trying to find the tree. Eventually we found it wedged under the trampoline, and then the phone started ringing so I went in and got it. Then I saw my mum, who told me that she had wedged the tree under the trampoline to stop it blowing away. Of course, by the time I got back outside it had now blown away, so we had to go on another Christmas tree hunt... :rolleyes:

But it's done now, and I've hoovered all the fallen pine bits from the floor. The room looks so bare!

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

:D:DLOL! Soooo funny to visualize that tree blowing around, and exactly what I needed, Emma, thanks! After putting it off all morning, I think I'm finally ready to tackle our tree, too. Not windy here, but also VERY cold after we've enjoyed a pretty warm winter so far. Hope you enjoyed your holiday with your family!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Love, love the pre-lit tree! I do miss the look/smell of real, but these are so much easier, and very handy if you travel over the holidays. No worries about watering.

I hate that after I get everything put away, I find stragglers. Then I put stragglers somewhere safe and forget where I put them! Then around Easter, I start spring cleaning and find the stragglers!

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

My least favorite thing about post holiday cleanup, is the part where I have to clean up. :p I have not started yet.

6. Beach bum

I had a friend who hated cleaning up so much that she'd wait until Valentines Day! She was over the top in decorating, so I think she just couldn't even face the job.

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I can understand that! Mine isn't terribly over the top, but I do have decorations up high on our built in over head shelving, and that's the part that is a PITA. Up and down the ladder..blah.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Must be one of those weird European customs. Over here we hunt Easter Eggs. ;)

9. L101418

L101418 Approved members

My least favorite part is the girls threatening me bodily harm because I would have everything shoved back in the closet by the 26th. But they won't let me.

oh - and those stragglers here too. Ugh!

10. Beach bum

You know, there really is something to be said about the Festivus Pole.
    Easy to set up, easy to take down!

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

We had to switch to an artificial tree last year due to William's allergy to Christmas trees (his asthma flared up horribly). It came prelit with white lights but we also put a lot of colored lights on it - and don't use the white ones. Then when I take everything down I leave the tree up undecorated but have the white lights on. I left it up last year for about a month and it was nice.

My least favorite thing is lugging all the boxes up and down the stairs - twice - once to decorate (but I'm more excited about that) and finally to undecorate. Boxing up all those fiddly little ornaments isn't fun either!

12. Beach bum

And some years everything fits back in perfectly, and then others I end up needing more boxes! Some little Christmas decoration troll plays with my mind!

13. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I'm sitting admist my Christmas clutter right now trying to decide if I threw cloths over the storage boxes, would they look enough like tables that I don't have to lug them out to the garage and could just claim them as furniture instead?

And my annual post Christmas tradition...trying to figure a way to just leave the tree up. Maybe I can make it work if I just hang some hearts for February, shamrocks in March, eggs in April, flags in July... :)

14. Beach bum

My mom's friend does this...neighbors actually complained about it:D
    Honestly, it would drive me crazy, just for the space it takes up.

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Saturday, we'll be taking down the fake tree with the fake gifts hanging on it.:D

And I can so relate to Emma's wind story. So windy here!

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

LOL:D:pSo Funny!

17. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My "luck" with cleaning up the tree has held again this year!:mad: After undecorating and lugging the tree to the curb, started to vacuum up the piles of pine needles left in the living room...until I realized the vacuum filter was dead and I didn't have another one. Called Sears, who reassured me they had one in stock, piled all the kids in the car, went to Sears, to find out they did NOT have one after all. Checked Target, nada. So, had piles of pine needles, and no way to clean them until I can get a filter delivered. But my sweet husband kind of swept them up pretty well with a broom, so at least it doesn't look like the forest floor in here! But can't walk around barefoot for sure!:eek:

18. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I used to hate takig the tree down and putting all the ornaments back into their boxes etc....then one year a light bulb went off (in my head) and I realized I put the ornaments into a tote, put the tote in the attic for almost a year where it just sits there, then take it back down...why do I have to put each ornament into a box or wrap in tissue paper....so now I dump all the ornaments in a big box (I do wrap extremely fragile ornaments in tissue) and put that big box inside a tote....only ornaments I lost was due to storing it in a new place at our house last year, and the temp was alot colder and the snowglobes must have frozen and burst...

So to answer the original question..... I hate how blah my house feels after all the Christmas decorations down...I do leave all my snowmen stuff out until March...but still blah.

19. selketine

selketine Approved members

At least this post inspired me to take all the Christmas stuff down yesterday - ha ha!

I did leave the tree up (artificial) with the white lights on it. It doesn't seem so massively Christmas-like. I'll take it down in a few weeks but leaving something sparkly up helps with the post-holiday blahs for sure.

20. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We broke down this year and got an artificial tree...that helped my marriage as I wasn't asked everyday..."did you water the tree" and I didn't have to deal with the hubby throwing a fit getting the tree though the front door and into the tree stand. If it weren't for the kids enjoying all the ornaments, I would be inclined to just tie a bow on the tree and say Merry Christmas! Taking down all of the ornaments is now a 2 day process! :rolleyes: