- advertisement -

What's your favorite tape?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

We got the sample pack from Medtronic and I've used all of them, but am still not sure which I like best. Sloan doesn't like any of them, but it just works better. He has a site on his rear right now that isn't getting tugged every time he pulls his pants up and down. (I circled the tubing once around the outside area of the infusion set while the skin-tac was still tacky and then stuck tagaderm over that!) I'm wanting to order some but I'm not sure which one to get.

I know there isn't really any right or wrong, I just thought I would see what most seem to use.

2. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

I tried the same sample pack from medtronic when we started CGMS,
    all the tapes are pretty good, Tegaderm held up the best though, especially in the water, BUT removing it was a different story, even with Unisolve wipes. It took me forever to take it off and ds hated it.
    So i had to go back to IV-3000 for the sites and sensors and I really like those, they keep the infusion set in place but are easy to remove even without Unisolve., just use a little baby oil before the bath or shower.
    We never had a site pull out with a little piece of IV-3000 on it, ds has it on his bum as well.

3. mollygolly

mollygolly Approved members

I like using the Tegaderm over sites and hypafix(hard to get off but can leave on for long periods and get no marks) over sensors. I cover emla cream with IV3000 that I have left over as I find it the easiest to remove.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use Hypafix. It works the best in strength, how it holds up, adhesive, and least amount of skin irritation and reaction.

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

do you find that you need extra tape with a site? (you're not cgm'ing are you?)
    We've just never found a big need to extra tape. :)

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Do you have the pump in a pump belt? That helps with the tugging on the site. We have never had to use extra tape on a site.

7. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

If the site is on his belly or side, no, we don't need it. If it's on his leg or pants, yes we do. It (the site, not the tubing) gets tugged too much with him pulling his pants up and down. I'm sure it won't be an issue when he is older, but for now, he just yanks and tugs his pants too hard and he needs a little something extra to hold it in place.

8. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I used to use tegaderm with an additional adhesive (either skin tac or mastisol depending on how much moving and sweating I was going to be doing.) But honestly my new favorite these days is Durapore, the plain roll of cloth tape available at any drugstore for less than $5. It's cheap, readily available for those emergencies when you suddenly need tape on an outing and didn't bring any, has held up better to sweating than the more expensive tapes, and because there is nowhere to trap sweat my skin holds up better with less itching.

9. KHM

KHM Approved members

We are, admittedly, rookies but we've tried nearly everything. We use Opsite after applying Bard Barrier Wipes = less skin irritation. Yep, removing is a pain but we do oil, bath and then Unisolve when circumstances allow---otherwise we just take a lot of care with the Unisolve and go slowly.

Fair warning: Unisolve is a pretty strong solvent; latex gloves won't protect your hands (I am lamenting too many manicures lost...). We use nitrile gloves and are very thorough about cleaning it off of Lindsay's skin before we move on.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Tegaderm user here.

11. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

Yeah, regarding Unisolve and manicures! So true. I can't have my nails painted anymore, I tried the regular latex gloves but still no luck,
    they dont protect your fingers at all and you dont have that precision that bare fingers give.
    Im going to give the ones you mentioned a try, i want my purple nails back!

12. KHM

KHM Approved members

Showing my age and rookie status, my first reaction to this thread title is "Maxell chromiumO2, 90 minutes".

Its been a long time since I used audiotape to share music, though. Today my favorite tape is Opsite but we def have to use barrier wipes for L's delicate skin.

13. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Hypafix seems to be the only tape that Blake isn't allergic to. It also holds up in water very well.