- advertisement -

What's your escape?

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by Danielle2008, May 31, 2009.

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

This is somewhat related to the thread in the parent section a few months ago...showing D kids doing sports and other activities.

As well all know, Diabetes is a 24/7 thing that you can't often forget about. So I ask, what's your escape from it?

Post pictures, stories, videos(I know we have dancers, soccer players, softball players, singers etc. etc). We talk so much about Diabetes(obviously!!), however, I think it would be great if talked about our passion or hobbies that take us away from the Diabetes stress for a little.

I will start.

One of the things I do is ride/work with horses (as pretty much everyone knows LOL!). When I ride, I don't think about Diabetes, I don't think about the normal life stresses...I just think about riding. You have to have your entire mind on your horse, you can't think about anything else. It is my 'get away' for the few hours a day I work with them.

Not only do I enjoy just working with the horses...but it gives me an excuse to be outside. I am biased, but I love Colorado scenery.

I thought I would add a video of my ride with Taylor from Friday(song by Keith Urban, of course!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZeoFQ2LxQ

And one of my favorite photos.

Walking to one of the outside arenas...

[​IMG]

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's not really a "hobby", lol, but my best escape is my friends. When I'm with them D is still buzzing around in the background, but it doesn't really matter, KWIM? Most of them understand enough about D that they don't even ask anymore if I'm testing or treating a low or operating my pump, so that's great.

This is me with some of them:

[​IMG]

3. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

My hobby/escape is motocross... I love riding my dirtbike. when im riding i feel free and i like to go FAST hahaha.
    attached is a picture of me and my dirtbike.

4. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

You all are great, thanks for sharing:cwds:

Emma, Of course friends count!! Although, it seems to be when I am out with friends my BG doesn't like to cooperate:rolleyes: . That is a great picture, looks like you have a fun crew!

Molly, how neat that you do motorcross! Is that something you started on your own, or does someone in your family do it too? I would be way to scared:eek: Fantastic picture, too!

5. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

I would have to say that my escape is also my friends, or more specifically, my Science Olympiad team (same thing :D). They are so helpful in that they don't really bring it up when we are out together. They make me feel totally normal. And when something does happen, like if I go low, or my site comes out, they are so understanding and try to help in any way they can. Friends are great. :)

Here is a picture of us just after we won state. I'm not really visible in this one, I'm kind of hidden in the back right corner, but this picture really captures our energy. :D

6. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

My family does it to. my dad use to be a pro motocross rider, but now he just rides for fun, and has taught and still is teaching me and my brother. My mom doesnt ride dirtbikes we just bought her a four wheeler that she just put puts around on.

7. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Mostly these crazy people (in the pic) are my escape :D. That and playing the piano.

8. Rachel Erin

Rachel Erin Approved members

1. family & friends
    2. photography
    3. baseball

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  9. meg:]

meg:] Approved members

My escape has to be music... Pianio, Violin and Guitar... and singing but not very well :)

10. NoMoreShots

NoMoreShots Approved members

Mine is basketball. Im always worried about it dropping but when I play basketball it makes D go away(until it drops to 47 like today):p

11. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

reading, church(there's not a ton of us, but most of act like brothers and sisters, so it's great), i love writing in my journal(i started doing it when i was 12 1/2, so i have 3 years of my life written down now and reading them is really cool.). oh, and my pets! two cats, pickles and prince and a bunny, jamie. all boys :p!

my two closest girlfriends at this years jdrf walk
    [​IMG]

and me with two friends from church when we went mini golfing(the one on the far right is my best friend)
    [​IMG]

12. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

My escape would be my friends and reading. Definitely reading. I don't know, I guess it just helps me calm down and forget about things for a while.
    My friends defintely. They are the best. Music too. I don't play any instruments (although I wish I did) but I love listening to music.
    And most of all playing with my niece and nephew.

13. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

My escape(s) would have to be my friends, for one. Another is definitely my music. I love listening to music, and I taught myself the piano a bit, and I played the trumpet for 7 years.

And also, my biggest escape that not many people know about- writing. :eek: I absolutely love it. Especially poetry. I have pages and pages full of poems that I've written over the past few years. :)

14. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Malyssa, I love to write too. Poems and stories. I'm not always good at it but I do love to write:) I've got about 2 to 4 books that are full of stuff that I have written in, so you are not alone in the writing thing.
    I think that writing can really help you, just by letting all your feelings out.

15. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I'd have to say 4-wheeling and making jewelry with my mom.

16. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I keep a diary :eek:. It really helps me think about things more clearly.

17. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

Horses/ showing/ riding in general.
    Playing sports, it helps me forget about diabetes for a while because I know that I can play just as well if not better than the non-d kids.
    Friends/ Family are a huge part of my life too, and they've really been there through it all.
    Pictures of my pony are attached!

18. Wenpuppy123

Wenpuppy123 Approved members

Umm... does tv count? Cause I always forget about everything when I'm watching tv.

I love to draw (anime and cartoon) and I'm in the process of writing a series of short stories.:p

19. Artemis94

Artemis94 Approved members

Oh, lets see... Reading fantasy (it takes me out of the real world too :D) friends, writing, and yoga. If none of you have taken yoga before, it really keeps you grounded. It helps calm me down so I can think properly. Oh, and Youth Conferences. They are gatherings of UU teens in Maine that come together for various social issues and we get really close.

20. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I've started baking a lot, which keeps my attention off of other things. My friends are a big escape.