advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your diagnosed story ?

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by Juliana1245, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Juliana1245

Juliana1245 Approved members

Do you remember the first time you were diagnosed with diabetes ?
    how old were you and how did u feel ?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was 17.
    I had been sick for a really long time. I had suspected that I was dying of something and also suspected that it was all in my head.
    When I was diagnosed, I was relieved that it was something treatable, especially after I felt how much better I felt on insulin- my father said it was like watching the dead come to life. But I was also really overwhelmed and scared, especially because I was already familiar with diabetes complications.
    I really didn't like being in the hospital, especially not after the first day, once I was feeling better. But I spent five days (four nights) in the hospital.

I had, and still have, a lot of different feelings about diabetes. At the time that I was diagnosed, I found it hard to believe. I hadn't realized you could develop type 1 diabetes at the age of 17- I thought you had to be younger. I felt sort of lucky to get a rare experience, but I also felt like the world as I knew it was ending. I was really worried about dying, both of hypoglycemia and of long term complications. I was determined not to go back into DKA, because I had felt so awful.
    I've been on this forum since roughly the time I was diagnosed- if you want to trace the way I've been talking about diabetes since then, you can. For about a year, I was also active on the diabetesteentalk forums, which were really a good place for me then.I don't think they exist any more.

3. Juliana1245

Juliana1245 Approved members

woow interesting seems like it was tough on you

4. Smarties

Smarties New Member

I got diagnosed when I was 16, about a month from my 17th birthday. In september of 2008 I got a really bad flu and really bad stomach pains for about 2 weeks. That's pretty much where it started, although the doctors suspect I always had problems with my sugar. I would get really tired and ate all the time but losing weight, I got insanely thirsty so much so that even after a huge glass of water my mouth was so dry that my lips stuck to my teeth. At the end of december my mom noticed how i'd get up every few hours to go to the washroom and noticed all the other symptoms. It took her awhile to convince me to go to the doctors and get blood work done. When they got the results I had to rush to the hospital, the doctors said I was probably only a few hours away from going into a coma because my sugar had been so high, I was lucky.

The first year was really hard on me, needles are my worse fear so it wasnt easy. I was depressed for about of year but thankfully I'm not any more. It's gotten a lot better now that I'm on the pump.

5. TsterT

TsterT New Member

I was 11 or 12 at the time and in 6th grade, first year of Junior Highschool. I was developing quite the cough, croup cough actually. My mom took me to the doctors, and they gave me Prednisone. I continued to miss school during this time, and although the croup cough was gone, I was still getting worse. My doctor, who I am no longer with, diagnosed me with all sorts of things, even Asthma and giving me an inhaler. He refused to allow my mother to home school me, as he thought he was all physiological and I was faking it all.

It wasn't until my mother found me passed out at home she refused to take no for an answer and requested my doctor to test my blood sugars after refusing to do so numerous times. He even stated he would find nothing, and his nurses would call us with the results. He ended up calling us telling us I had Type 2 diabetes. Being a 11/12 year old weighing at most 100lbs, this obviously was incorrect. Needless to say, we got an endocrinology as soon as possible, who recommended us to a pediatrician who we now love.

During this time I lost over 6 weeks of school, and introduced me to Type 1 Diabetes in the worse way possible. When I talk to other Diabetics they ask me how long I was in the hospital when I was diagnosed, I didn't spend a single night in the hospital.

6. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

Looking back I can see symptoms as far as a year or a year and a half back.
    When they started becoming pretty noticeable it was mid-February. I suddenly had this unquenchable thirst. All-consuming really... I would wake up with my mouth so dry that my tongue would stick to the roof of my mouth. I had to pee all the time.
    By the beginning of May I was sleeping 10 hours at night and 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon. I started doing my homework at school 10 minutes before it was due because only the fear of being caught could motivate me to do it. I drank a bottle of my own water and then my friend's water bottle and was still parched. I was also starving. After school I would walk home with my friend and we would split a chocolate muffin then I would eat lunch, have 3 snacks within the next hour and a half and then go out and buy a snack with my friends. I noticed that I could see all my ribs and the bones beneath my eyes. In the 3 months before I was diagnosed I lost about 20 pounds. By the time they weighed me in the hospital I was 66 pounds even though I was five feet tall.
    By June I was very tired and skinny. I got sick one day which is very strange for me (even when I have a really bad stomach virus I never get sick). I remember not wanting to worry my parents. The last straw was when I went to a slumber party with 2 of my friends. I couldn't stay awake during the film, I got up to pee and drink water at least 4 times. I hadn't been able to got to the bathroom for almost a week. When we went to play baseball I had to sit down.
    The next day, the 18th of June, my parents took me to the emergency room where they took my bg and my a1c. Both were unreadable (over 500 and over 14 is all it says on those papers) on their relatively simple tools so they transferred me my ambulance to a much bigger, very advanced hospital with a diabetes wing. By the time I got there my tongue was so dry I couldn't say my name.
    I was in full DKA.

Honestly I wasn't upset then, I was just ready to stop feeling miserable. And I am still extremely grateful to those amazing doctor and nurses.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012