- advertisement -

What's wrong with my body?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by DylanMurdock, Mar 29, 2009.

1. DylanMurdock

DylanMurdock New Member

I apologize in advance for the excessive reading, I have been stuck with this issue for a few years now and never seem to have gotten any help with it, even from my doctors.

Well, I'll start with my dx.

I was diagnosed at the age of seven, My mom, Kimberly is a type 1 diabetic as well, So we caught on early and caught onto it very early so there were no complications there.

I was pretty well controlled as a young child, I was giving myself my own injections within the first week, and my blood sugar rarely ever went out of range.

Then, once I hit puberty at around age thirteen, Everything changed.

My body starting rejecting my insulin. It had gotten to the point where my blood sugars never went lower than the high 300's and my a1c shot to around nine.

I assume, Not knowing what she was doing, my doctors told me this was normal for teens and kind of "let it slip" and just raised my insulin intake.

Well, Now, at the age of 15 my diabetes is far more uncontrollable than ever. Even with 53u of lantus at night, 1 unit of humalog for every 5 grams of carbs and 1 unit to bring my glucose down every 20, I am ALWAYS above 400.

I hold a normal diet, When I can bring myself to eat. I am not the kind of person that eats sweet food all the time, etc. It has gotten to the point where I can only eat something small like a slimjim for the day. My a1c is currently 12, on the dot. And I ALWAYS feel like I'm dying.

I don't know what puts this on, nor do I know why it is happening to me. I see all of my type 1 diabetic friends leading normal lives, Skateboarding, Going to parties, etc and STILL feeling completely normal the next day. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that they get to be kids, But, I want to be one too.

It's so darned discouraging not being able to be there for friends and family because I'm laying in the living room drinking gallons of water and sleeping all day. Just the other day it was mine and my girlfriend of 2 years anniversary and I couldn't even do anything for her because I was sleeping from being up all night vomiting.

I used to be a happy kid, But now all I want is death. I don't want to end up going blind, or losing limbs because of this. I have done nothing to deserve this pain. I feel so utterly alone, Like noone knows what its like to feel this way, although I'm sure there is, Which is why I joined this community.

I don't expect answers to magically fix my condition, I just need to know, that there is someone out there that knows what this pain feels like..

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Is there any chance of you getting an insulin pump? I think that most people become slightly more sensitive to insulin and can reduce their doses slightly after starting on the pump, so this might help you

Personally, I was diagnosed as a teenager so I don't have any personal experience with starting to go through puberty with type 1, but I'm sorry you can't get control over D right now, and that your doctors aren't helping!

Could you try switching insulins (taking apidra or novolog rather than humalog and/or levemir rather than lantus) because I've heard that some people are very sensitive to one type of insulin in particular and that the switch is really helpful to them.

Or perhaps you could start on an oral med as well as the insulin (like metformin?) which would help to decrease the insulin resistance somewhat and get your sugars down some.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope you find something which works soon -- you shouldn't have to be this high all the time.

3. DylanMurdock

DylanMurdock New Member

I've tried the pump in the past.
    It worked well for awhile, But then it starting falling out continuously.

I'm a very, very active person. I skateboard, and play at local shows weekly if I can bring myself to moving away from the water.

I've tried just about every insulin I can think of, Even some oral medication.

Lantus at bedtime, and the humalog sliding scale used to work out well for me, But once I hit puberty everything kind of went downhill.

4. Chelsea

Chelsea Approved members

I'm sorry that things aren't going well for you =( I'm a very new diabetic, so I might not be of much help, but some of the kids at my school had to switch off of Humalog because it didn't work for them, it's actually pretty common. Try asking your endo to switch to you to novalog, it'd probably help you out a lot since it seems like such an excessive amount of insulin you take, a lower amount of something different would make life a lot easier. :)

Edit: Sorry, posted this before I saw your earlier reply XD

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Could you try using more adhesive products (I don't use any, because I've never had a problem with my set coming out, but I think that some of the parents on here use things like tegaderm to help the set stick better) that could stop the pump coming out? If it worked for you, and nothing else is, I'd say you should do everything possible to get back on it. I can remember how crappy I felt before being diagnosed so I can't imagine how horrible it must be to feel like that all the time, knowing what's wrong but not how to sort it out. ):

6. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

You say you're on Lantus...have you tried a split dose? That way you take some in the morning and at night...this does mean one more shot added to your day, but if it gets you in range, it'll be worth it. Also, maybe because you've been on Lantus so long your body is getting too use to it :confused: You can try Levimir, which is long acting like lantus. Many of my friends have done better when they switched from Lantus to Levimir.

The pump could really help you as well. Maybe you should give it another try, just to see how it goes.

You should talk to your endo, for sure. He/she should be helping in any way that they can to get you feeling better, ya know. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing! We're always here for you. :cwds:

Don't let Diabetes win...we KNOW you can do it!

7. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I can only relate to your situation. That no matter what you do it just doesn't want to work, and feeling terrible all the time. I guess what I'm saying is I've been in your situation and it's hard. What I'd recommend is get a new endo, one that just won't blow it off as just being a teen.

Cait

8. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I agree with Cait. I would get a new endo, someone who is more concerned with helping you. You should not have to feel like that all the time. I know you said you tried an insulin pump, but have you tried different insulins in the pump? Or even a different pump? It's just a suggestion! Goood Luck:)

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Some of the the things you posted are very worriesome to say the least...

May I ask if your mom is involved in helping you deal with your BGs or are you handling this alone?
    I would seek a different endo as well.
    As for the pump, I second trying it out again if you want. As someone mentioned there are adhesives to help keep the site in place.
    I would also STRONGLY encourage you and your mom to see the help of a counselor, especially one who knows about Type 1 Diabetes. For the name of one, call ADA, and I'm sure they'll give you a list of counselors. I assume you live in the US, if not contact your local diabetes association.

Take care.

10. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Hi, first of all welcome to cwd.
    I agree with what others have said. Have you tried switching your fast acting insulin-like humalog instead of novolog or aprida. Sometimes people stop responding to one type (like malyssa said about lantus/levemir). What does your endo think about it? What are they trying or suggesting?

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I can't really add anything to what the others have said. I would suggest switching insulins, maybe go to something really new like Apidra vs Novolog.

12. Gaige Pash

Gaige Pash New Member

I understand where you're coming from, I really do. At 15 my a1c was at 11.7. I'm not going to tell you how maybe to fix it. Honestly, I'm still sick most of the time and sadly you get used to it, and it's horrible that you can get used to feeling awful. My advice is to find an outlet, everyone's situation is different and people need to find things that calm their souls. We're here to help and support you, but you gotta help yourself. Hating our affliction is natural, I hate it so much I lost faith in god (agnostic now), got kicked out of 3 schools, and lost most of my friends. Then I found my outlet, when I feel the pain surfacing I aim it at my pen and paper and write, and honestly people who read my writing tell me that it's beautiful. There's always some form of weight balancing out the scales of life. You just have to take your hate and release in the right direction. I've been down your road, and trust me the father you go down it the darker the street lights get. Keep trying to get your numbers down. Even though I hate it I recomend the pump, it helps. There are things to help make the sites stick too, I used to play football with my sites in just fine. It may sound wierd, but if you ever need someone to talk to hit me up at (916)534-6981(california) or pashvaelin@yahoo.com or even myspace.com/gaigetgcc I was a lot like you when I was 15, and I know how it feels better than anyone. I wish I could help you with more than kind words and empathy. sometimes the most important answers in a person's life come from asking only themselves the true questions. Oh, and sorry for this giant wall of text...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  13. dksimo@comcast.net

dksimo@comcast.net Approved members

life line

I was only diagnosed in October 2008 so I am new at this. However; you have to always remember things could always be worse. I know that probably sucks hearing that but it is true. You do have it really hard right now and I feel bad but try to stay positive!!! :D Can your mom take you to a different endo? I go to childrens of Pittsburgh. Dont know where you are located, but they are really good there at the clinic. I get online about weekly if you want to talk. It is good you are active and eat healthy, I have quit all of my sports because I do not want anyone knowing I have D, which is stupid on my part! Hey I heard in Germany they do stem cell transplant that basically cures diabetes, do not know if it is true but look into it, what can it hurt. Hang in there:)

14. beck95

beck95 Approved members

hi, i to am going through puberty at the moment so i know how you feel. Personaly lantus never worked for me i was on NPH or levimir. i'm now on a pump and its really helped me. i havent yet had to give myself soooo much insulin but i do have to keep raising my basals. it does get rather anoying especialy when you have to keep raising them every three or four days but it keeps me feeling good. on some days i can barely get my BGs out of the 20s (3oo-400) all i can say is as all the rest have said try different insulin or go back to the pump. i use novorapid insulin. other than that dont give up. good luck.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

Hate to be a parent and barge in here - but...it is possible to become insulin resistant, like T2, as well as T1 - this is especially true in Teens and yound Adults. There is a medicine - I think it is Symilyn (SP) that helps T1's process their insulin better.

PLEASE - talk to your endo or find a new endo ASAP and speak to them about insulin resistance along with T1! There is HELP! You are not the only one! They even have medicine for it!

16. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

I had a similair problem. I was taking 80 units of lantus at night and for each meal i was taking well over 15 units per meal. I'm real active too. Im a cmpetitive cheerleader, gymnasist, and varsity cheerleader and now playin golf. but on january 11 i started using the pump after 8 years taking shots and now im doing much better. but don't give up. work more closely wit your doctor. eveything will be okay; please jst don't give p. keep trying.

17. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If you are always over 300, then raise the Lantus. As much as you need, you need.
    The other options I see are to add an oral medication to address insulin resistance, and to eat differently (and I doubt that eating differently would help all that much).

18. someone

someone Approved members

Like others have said, the first thing I would try is switching insulins. You need to find a doctor that can help you with this. With what is available today, just about every case of diabetes should be controllable.