- advertisement -

whats going to happen to me? the future

Discussion in 'Teens' started by cunners45, Nov 12, 2007.

?

do you feel the same?

1. yes i feel the same

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no not really

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. im not sure how i feel about the future

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. well i feel the same now after reading that! :-(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cunners45

cunners45 Approved members

hello people with diabites
    im 15 years old and have had diabites since i was in year 4 at school so aprox 7 years. ive also got chrones disease (search it on google long explaination) and ive ha that for almost 3 years. yes life is unfair bt my very smart mum always says "theres always someone worse off than you". i am extermely worried about the future. and those "sweet" old ladys dont help going on about how their uncle albert had stoke went blind and lost a foot to diabites. very reasuring . anyways im thiking about this and starting to worry. i looked up sme other things on the internet and found some othre stuff out 2 that can happen with years of poorly contolled diabites!
    worried and confused:confused::(:mad::eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dose anyone else feel the same!?!?!?!?(or has kids who feel the same?)

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yeah, I think about heart disease and kidney disease and blindness and gastroparesis and neuropathy and arteriosclerosis and pancreatic cancer and stroke and all that stuff a lot too.
    But I figure it like this: I'm gonna live my life like those MIGHT happen. I know I can cope if any of those come along. I work in a home for the blind. I sometimes think about how I'd reorganize my life to keep on living if I went blind. I think about how I'd manage dialysis- home dialysis, I think. Not so much you can plan for with heart disease, but I think about it. I read a lot about it and I feel like I'm as prepared as a person could be. I hate the Don't worry take care and complications won't happen attitude because I'd feel much safer knowing that if complications come, my life will still have meaning. That I'll have decent medical care, continue to work (although heart failure might make it too difficult, the others shouldn't). Continue to have good times.
    Like the other day I was playing chess with my shrink and we were talking about playing blindfolded, and I said, "If I go blind, then I'll learn to be an excellent blindfolded player, but in the meantime I'd rather not". So I'm thinking about it, but I'm not really thinking about it in a doom and gloom kind of way.

But at the same time, I need to be prepared to live another 30 years with only the tiniest of complications if that's what happens. Y'know?

3. cunners45

thats a great way of putting it thanks alot!
    is there anyone else in my sitiuation?

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I worry about all of those things - for both of my kids - and myself - not just for my daughter with Diabetes. I am a worrier, so I worry about everything. As for worrying about my youngest and complications, I don't really. I am not sure why not, but I just know that we are in such tight control, and technology just keeps improving ,that chances are, when she is 50, she won't have any complications. There are lots of Type 1's out there now already experiencing that. It is those granny's talking about feet falling off that kill me, but I just tell my kid - hey, the are talking about Type 2...you take better care of yourself than they did, etc...

5. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Being perfectly honest -

I did not worry about those things at all until 2 weeks ago.

I was that kid that *Knew* those things could happen. But didn't think they could happen to me. And lived like they wouldn't. I let my HbA1c go up to 14%.

Then 2 and a half weeks ago my husband and I found out I was pregnant with our first child, with my 14% a1c.

I instantly turned everything around and had *awesome* control of my diabetes, but it was too late. I found out last week that I miscarried with twins. Likely due to my uncontrolled diabetes. I was almost 3 months along by the time we found out I was pregnant, and those are the most important months for development in a baby.

So now, I know that those complications are very real and can happen to me. I'm SO hurt and upset by what I have done to myself and now to my babies.

Now, I want to take care of myself so our next child will make it into this world and live a wonderful healthy life, and we won't go through this heartbreak again. But, I also am so upset that I don't want to take care of myself. I know I need to, though. So, we press through.

But, yes. I definitely felt that way since I was diagnosed almost 6 years ago.

6. cunners45

im so sorry to hear that thank you for your views.

7. lulu

lulu Approved members

I am sorry to hear about your loss. You cannot blame yourself for the miscarriages, your really do not know what happened. It could have happened with tight control too. Please, just begin to take care of yourself so the next time you are pregnant - you will not blame yourself.

I am truly sorry. LuLu