- advertisement -

What Would You Say?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheFormerLantusFiend, Sep 6, 2012.

1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My mother just came back from visiting some distant relatives overseas.
    She had already been aware that one of these people had a brother (not genetically related to us) who was diagnosed with diabetes as a child, but on this visit, she learned that all three of his children also developed diabetes during childhood. None of the three of them have had kids. The three of them are my mother's age: they're in their fifties, which means they were all diagnosed 40+ years ago.
    None of them have ever had hypoglycemia. None of them has complications. All are on insulin (except the dad, who is dead).

I'm wondering if I should try to get a message to them about MODY in case they have it and in case they would be able to go off insulin if they do have it. They were diagnosed at ages 8, 10, and 12, and their dad was 8 when he was diagnosed. All of the information about them comes from the dad's sister.

What would you do? Do you think it's really likely they have type 1?

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I thought for Mody they had to be diagnosed under 1?

Honestly, I don't know how I would handle it. Half of me would not want to interfere and the other half would want to help them. Are you in contact with any of them? If yes, maybe a quick a email with an article. If no, maybe ask your mom to?

3. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

MODY can be diagnosed at any age. MODY is a form of monogenic diabetes - TND and PND are also other forms of monogenic, which is normally diagnosed under 1, but not always. I was 18 months old when I was diagnosed, and the mutation that we have, from my research, there are children up to 4 years old diagnosed with it.

If it was me, from what I know now, if they can get tested, then I think they should. It may not amount to any change, even if they are MODY, as some forms still need insulin, but it could, and even the slimmest chance is worth testing for, IMO.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I guess my thought is what could it hurt to send them the information? They can do with it what they like. And the potential upside is pretty huge!

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think you're thinking of neonatal diabetes, which is a form of monogenic diabetes, like MODY and like other monogenic. some fomrs of monogenic diabetes can come off insulin, but not all. ;)

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

I would send them information. I can't think of a real downside to doing it. It's possible that they would be irritated or offended that you are "butting in", but it doesn't sound like they are close enough for that to affect you if they do. You have information that could potentially help them----it seems only right to share it.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed.
    I would approach it with a note stating that your mom told you about them and that you found it very interesting how they are a bit different than your average type 1. I'd then give the info on MODY. They can do with it what they want.

I have to admit, they are a very interesting case...