- advertisement -

What would you say to this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MySweethearts, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

The other day Luke asked me out of the blue "mom, will I die if I don't have insulin?" :eek: I was very taken back...I just said that he needs to have it to stay healthy. Thank goodness his mind is usually on Pokemon so he changed the subject. But, I know this will come up again...has this happened to anybody else? If he was older I would of been frank w/him, but him being only 7 .

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I tend to be pretty straight-forward with my kids, so I would probably be honest. They will find out someday, and I'd rather it be from me with the correct information.

3. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I am also very straight-forward. My daughter knows that without her insulin she would die and how much we love the insulin because it keeps her alive, healthy, and with us where she belongs. She handles it very well!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would probably say, "You would die if you didn't have food, shelter, water, air, or insulin. Aren't we lucky that we don't have to worry about such things?" :)

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is perfect!!:cwds:

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

This is a perfect response to a common question - I will share it with others.. :cwds:

7. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

This is what I will say :) Thank you everybody for your help :) ....I hope you all have a great Christmas!

8. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I do like Hawkeyegirl's response.

I always stick to the point and try to stay truthful no matter what subject Emma comes up with. I don't want her to come to me later with a "but you said" and then try to think of a lie to cover up my lie. My answer to this one is Yes, you will die if you don't have insulin. And then follow it with if you take your insulin....... All the time thinking in the back of my mind, "you better realize this, burn it into your sub-conscience and not give us trouble when you're a teen trying to skip out or be lazy about your insulin shots."

So Emma, who is almost 8, knows this fact and thanks me after I give her an injection.

9. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Wonderfully put!

10. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Yes. Excellent. Puts it in perfect perspective. :)

11. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Agreed! Kudos~

12. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I'm straight with my boys as well but the key is putting it into perspective and Karla's reply nailed it.

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Ding, ding, ding - you win the prize. :) Simple, straight forward and totally accurate.

Thank you.