- advertisement -

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lexie251, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Lexie251

Lexie251 Approved members

After I talked so highly of my daughters school, we had an incident today. I first want to say I have only been at this a year. However I have read and read, researched and researched and most importantly have learned tons off of everyone on this website. With that said I treat my daughter lows differently then some. So my daughters school bag is packed with a meter, wipes, glucose tabs, icing, peanutbutter crackers, a juice, pringles, smarties, and some crackers and cheese dip things. I always make sure it is stocked. It has a variety of carbs ranging from 2 to 15. The bus driver informed me the other day that she needed a bag for lows. So I packed her a similar bag juice, crackers, icing, and smarties. I was under the assumption that she had been taught how to treat my daughter, because it is the schools responsibility to make sure there teachers or employess tha have my daughter know how to take care of her. Prior to me giving her the bag my daughter has been low a couple times, she radios the nurse, the nurse tells her what to treat with and we all go on about our day. Until today, my daughter started to feel shakey on bus. She tested 70, the bus driver hands her the juice and tells her to drink it. My daughter 3 hrs later was 250, because of the juice. My issue is she should of called the nurse, or she should of been aware that I only treat a low of 70 with 5 to 8c. My daughter is aware of this and new she was only to have a few crackers. But the driver told her she had to drink the juice. I guess my issue is why did she not radio the nurse like she always has in the past? My other question is who is responsible for training the bus driver? I'm trying to not be crazy, but it is not a hard concept what I expect and it is all in writing.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it's unrealistic to expect a bus driver, whose job it is to drive all the kids, safely, to be playing any sort of D management role while driving.

I'd suggest you have the nurse check your DD prior to boarding the bus and for you to be a little less demanding when it comes to treating a kid on a bus who is having what you describe as a shaking low. You can always correct a high, but what is the driver supposed to be doing? Counting out exactly 7g of carbs?

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

What would I do?

If you have a very specific way that you want lows treated, I would create a cheat sheet with various BG's and the foods to be eaten at that BG. I'd laminate it and put it in the low bag for the bus, so that whoever looked in the bag would see that a 70 should be treated with crackers or whatever it is you want done.

I would absolutely not make a big deal about it. I don't think the bus driver did anything wrong, juice is a classic low treatment and probably what he or she thought was appropriate.

I would treat this as a "live and learn" moment.

4. Lexie251

Your right, I shouldn't be so demanding I guess this has never been an issue, until she got her own bag of items. My daughters stuff is all counted outed and ready to go. The nurse usually tells her how to treat but I guess why I was a little frustrated is it caused her to run high, and normally 70 isin't a true low. But your right, I knew getting another perspective would chill me out! Thanks

5. Lexie251

Good idea on cheat sheet. I made binders and bags for every teacher and the nurse. I thought the school was responsible for making sure everyone knew all about what to do. Thanks for the advice

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I would be pleased that the bus driver gave her the juice and made her drink it. Some horror stories of bus drivers refusing to let D kids eat or drink on the bus!

I would rather my daughter have juice for a low because I know it works more quickly than crackers. I'd also rather correct the high later..

7. Lexie251

Yes your right, I get hyped up real quick but your right how mad would I have been if they didn't treat her. I guess I should calm and be thankful it was taken care of instead of neglected.

8. joan

joan Approved members

70 is a true low if you have symptoms. 15 gms of quick acting is the standard treatment for low blood sugar. I would never want my child to get less than 15 if on a school bus. As sarah said she shouldget checked before she gets on the bus because having her test herself on the bus and know what to take when she is low is too much for a 6 year old.

9. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I'd just be happy the driver treated the low. The 250 can be dealt with later. I wouldn't say a thing to the driver, except maybe thank you.

10. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

The bus driver should just give her a juice box. No quibbling over a few carbs over. Better a little high that you can correct when she is home & off the bus. Sometimes the lows will return quickly depending on the reason for them & I would rather be safe when it is not a situation where the person supervising cannot be looking directly at the child & know if the low comes back or does not come up.

Why was it 3 hours til she tested again? Is the ride home that long? I would have tested her as soon as she got off the bus.

I think you need to be a little more relaxed about this. They treated the low. End of story.

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I see you've calmed down so I won't belabor that point :)

I would thank the bus driver, then make a new kit for the bus. Only include multiples of one item at a carb count you are more comfortable with. For example, we send juice boxes to the schools but only the 9-10 carb ones because the higher carb ones are overkill for most lows for us. Or maybe just do 6 carb rolls of Smarties. Then, if she's low, there is no debate - he just hands her one of whatever it is. If she is still low or feels like she needs more, he can hand her another one. Gives you a little more control over the carbs :)

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed.

We had it in place that my daughter would test prior to getting on the bus. If she was high, the nurse would let me know and I would retest and correct at home. If she was within a certain range (100-120) the nurse would give her 10g. If she was below that range, the nurse would call me and I would come get her. This was a time when my daughter would drop quickly, so it was safer to do this. As she got older, we just got a pass that said she was allowed to eat on the bus.

We had a bag on the bus that had glucose because it was the most shelf/temperature stable. The bus company flatly said that if there was an emergency where she was incoherent that they would pull over and call 911.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

On these points - Up until HS we met with the 504 team to develop the plan, then met with the teachers, some individually, some in team meetings to review her accommodations and to review when and where responsibility for care would fall to them. In my experience the nurse coordinates the 504, distributes it and does some cursory high/low review with the teachers. Then I wanted to review the sub-sheet, the testing accommodations, to emphasize the access to water or bathroom or any other specific scenario when the teachers would be engaging my kid about her D, I always felt it best to meet face to face and to inform and to communicate my expectations and the limits of their involvement as well.

As for bus drivers, I always spoke directly to them but only asked three things: that she never be restricted from eating or drinking to treat a low on the bus ,that in an emergency that the driver remember her medical condition and that they keep a back-up stash of juice and tabs on the bus for emergencies. (she was always tested prior to getting on the bus and testing and treating limited the number of bus events over the years)

14. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Same here. I would be happy that she was checked and given juice.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Ditto, and you never know if the 70 may need more to bring her up next time because of IOB etc. I would just go with the easiest like juice and correct later.

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

The other lesson that should be learned from this situation is Never Assume.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I was under the assumption that she had been taught how to treat my daughter, because it is the schools responsibility to make sure there teachers or employess tha have my daughter know how to take care of her. P Until today, my daughter started to feel shakey on bus. She tested 70, the bus driver hands her the juice and tells her to drink it. My daughter 3 hrs later was 250, because of the juice. My issue is she should of called the nurse, or she should of been aware that I only treat a low of 70 with 5 to 8c. My daughter is aware of this and new she was only to have a few crackers. But the driver told her she had to drink the juice. I guess my issue is why did she not radio the nurse like she always has in the past? My other question is who is responsible for training the bus driver?

This is training. If child is low, child gets juice and must drink it. To expect anything more, especially from a bus driver who is also in charge of about 40 other kids safety, is asking a lot.
    Hats off to the bus driver for giving her the juice and making her drink it all. Even though your daughter told her she is supposed to have X, the driver was probably told she just needs to have the juice and that parents can fix at home. IMO, better safe than sorry. I'd rather fix now and treat later, especially if she was dropping.
    Now, I would hope that the bus driver would say to the nurse that your child went low on the ride, just so the nurse is aware in the event it becomes a pattern. But, overall I'd be completely satisfied with how the driver handled it. Remember in the end, she is a bus driver and not a nurse. She really is only equipped to handle the most basic of things and if it was to get worse, she knows to call 911.

18. Lexie251

I have calmed lol!!! But yes good idea. I just get worked up when she isint treated for lows the way I want. However it's my fault cause I should have it broke down more for the bus driver. Your idea is great. Like you said 15c is over kill. However my issue right now is she told me she will only treat with 15c because that is how dr wants it done. She can't follow what I say. The endo refuses to change orders because she doesn't agree that all she needs is 5 to 10c. I just wish I had more say so over how she is taken care of at school. The nurse follows what I want but said she can't force the bus driver to. How do I find an endo that doesn't think she needs all of that carb. Things have been going so smoothly. This is not a huge issue, I'm thankful she treated te low.

19. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

I believe you are asking too much of a bus driver, who is in charge of approximately 40-50 children at one time in a moving vehicle, to "break it down" more than what she did. I know that a bus driver does not have the time to look at a sheet and figure out what snack your child needs in order to maintain a certain BG level.

What was your daughter's bg when she got on the bus? Was it low? Did it fall all of a sudden? Christopher is not to ride the bus if his bg is under 100 because it has a greater chance of dropping on the 45 minute ride to their stop. Neither the school, the endo's office, nor I want a bus driver to be responsible for dealing with a low in addition to the rest of the children on the bus.

But we understand things happen. Christopher was 120 one day when he got on the bus and fell to 57 suddenly and had to treat himself. The bus driver pulled over so she could make sure he was okay. Luckily for us, her younger brother has T1D, so she is very familiar with the disease and doesn't mind stepping in to help with treatment. But I wouldn't ask more than giving a juice box of any bus driver. Ours chooses to be more involved.

20. Lexie251

I have set the 504 plan. Maybe I should request we all meet? I was told to make booklets of how to treat here which I did. Then supply everything for emergencies. Plus keep the nurse stocked. Which I do. I wrote out my treatment plan but just found out that no one will follow cause my endo is fighting it. I thought I was doing really well with having everything organized and taken care of but guess not:( we have a check at 2. But it may need to be changed. I don't want people to think that I'm mad at bus driver I think I was more upset when she didn't contact the nurse. After the fact. She still never has. However like everyone has said I should be thankful she treated the low. In all honestly what this comes down to is my endo and I clash. The school is legally binded to follow dr orders and I just now found out this. I thought everyone could follow what I have set up.