- advertisement -

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by joan, Sep 14, 2010.

1. joan

joan Approved members

My son just called. Can I bring his meter? He is at his HS soccer game and left his meter at school. The game has just started, it is 30 minutes away (with no traffic) and I was not planning to go. He isn't a starter so might not be playing that much. He's 17 and needs to be responsible. I don't want to go but feel guilty if I don't bring it.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would probably bring his meeter and a good butt chewing as well.

The downfall of not bringing it is the fact that we stress the importance of always having it. So if you don't, then you are making it look like it is no big deal since mom wouldn't make the 30 minute drive.

3. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I would bring it, because its important to have it. I would have a serious talk with him.

Once we were out shopping and she forgot the meter, so we bought one for $11..and I made her pay for half. Its not an option to go without..its a medical tool guideline to being healthy.

4. joan

joan Approved members

Thanks for the responses. I am glad I went because the game went into double overtime, he is still not home, and thats too long not knowing your bs.

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Maybe its just me, but unless my child was really developing a bad habit of forgetting their meter, I wouldn't give them a bad time about calling me to bring it. I know its really inconvenient, but if you make too big a deal out of it, next time they might not call and tell you they forgot it at all. Its a big deal that a teen boy would call his mom to say he forgot and really needed his meter.

So if it were me, I'd vent and maybe curse a bit in traffic to myself. Then I'd tell my kid I was glad they called.

6. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I wouldn't chew him out, if it honestly WAS a mistake, everyone is human and is ALLOWED to mess up...
    If he makes a habit of it then yes chew them out.
    Yes it needs to be a habit and yes it can be disastrous if forgotten but at some point during our lives with D WE have all messed up.

7. joan

joan Approved members

I didn't get mad at him. He was so appreciative when I got there. I wasn't mad, I just really did not want to go. I was just about to cook dinner so once again take-out.

8. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

Just a suggestion..can you buy a cheap one and keep in that bag
    for emergencies??This is what I do for Brandon.He doesn't use it much
    but I feel better with it in there.Glad everyting worked out.Becky

9. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

As frustrating as it is, I think you did the right thing. I've made multiple trips up to school lately -- I hope it's just my DD trying to adapt to the back to school routine.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We kind of do this too, though it's not necessarily a cheap one, just an extra. He actually has TWO meters that live in his football bag because I think it's so essential that he always have one during sports.

Glad all worked out.

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I always brought whatever Aaron called for -- meter, set change, extra insulin. It was annoying sometimes, but I still figured it was far better than he be responsible enough to call and take care of himself properly, than shrug it off and "limp through" without. He overall did a really good job with his diabetes, so I wasn't about to grind his gears over something I could easily have done myself.

12. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I'm responding late but I agree that you did the right thing. I always wanted Alex to know that #1 his meter and D supplies were very impt, #2 he can call me for anything impt like that, and #3 it's ok to forget stuff but not ok to ignore it....so it's impt to call.

When he was in hs, I took him his meter a few times....and his PUMP one morning!!!:eek: (left it on the bathroom counter)

But he knew not to call me for homework or other stuff.....that was his responsibility and I was willing to let him suffer any consequenses for forgetting that type of thing.

13. kas77

kas77 Approved members

I agree with this. I am sure your son knows he screwed up and probably feels guilty enough without having to be told, but only you know for sure if he is chronically careless or if he just made a mistake.

I would also take it for my own peace of mind. If you refused you'd probably be punishing yourself more than him because you'd be worrying sick about him the whole time.

14. madde

madde Approved members

I think it shows your son IS responsible that is why he called and wanted his meter. He knew he needed it. I understand your situation too. I'm glad you decided to take it to him without being upset this time. Now if he makes a habit of this, then that is another story.:cwds:

And you never know what might happen... bus could break down, etc...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  15. joan

joan Approved members

Thanks for all your responses. I was really, really having an " I don't want to go" moment. It was about 45 minutes away on highways in NJ at the beginning of rush hour. I wanted someone to say don't go he is fine but I did not get that answer. I wasn't really thinking about how me not going kinda tells him its not that important to have the meter but that is what I would be saying. I do appreciate the responses because you are all right. The next time he forgot it he wouldn't call. If it wasn't important then it isn't important now. I really wasn't thinking about him at that moment and I am glad you all were.

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hey, don't beat yourself up about it; I can't imagine that I would have wanted to go either. :)

But, I think you did the right thing. I think it's a sign that your son really trusts you that he called you.. it's not easy to admit that you screwed up a bit and forgot something.

17. wilf

wilf Approved members

Any meter company worth keeping will supply you with an extra meter for free.. :cwds: