- advertisement -

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Treysmom, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Trey has the chance to spend the night with my SIL. My 2 girls will be there to. SIL loves my kids very much but she DOES NOT UNDERSTAND type 1. Her FIL had type 2 before he died she thinks D is D. Trey can follow instructions from me very well over the phone. My dd's really have never been responsible for helping me with his care. They don't really know what to do if something happens(they know he needs sugar if low). The biggest prob is SIL kids are BAD to the BONE. I don't trust them with Trey's pump. They are spoiled rotten little brats. They are capable of almost anything. The 9 year old broke there playstation 3 christmas day and laughed about it.

Would you let yours go? SIL said she will check him @ night. I'm just worried about what her boys might do. DH feels pretty much the same as I do but says let him go.

SIL and BIL overlook what their kids do. They have the attitude kids are kids. They break things.....

2. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

I'd prob have to say no. If I couldn't trust ALL the people he'd be with not to do something stupid, then I'd have to say no. My answer stinks... I'm dreading the day I have to make this decision.

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'd let him have a pseudo sleepover if that is possible. You go pick him up when it is time for bed.

What would make the decision for me is that you say that her kids are rotten. I try to keep my kids from spending too much time around kids like that. Its so hard when those rotten kids are family though, yes, I speak from experience. I have some very rough nieces and nephews and I won't let me kids spend the night with them, D or not.

4. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

It sounds like both you and your husband are somewhat uncomfortable with Trey going and and being that the girls are not readily able to step in with care, I would suggest not letting any of them go. Also if there is a concern about the other children possibly messing with his pump and getting away with it, I'd wouldn't have to think twice about not sending them.
    Good luck, I know it's not easy making those decisions.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

I would see this as an opportunity to teach your daughters to work as team to support Trey - this could include physically intervening if the brats tried to touch the pump.

I would also tell your in-laws that the pump is a vital medical device and that if their children as much as touch it, the parents will be held responsible.

But if it were my son I'd let him go.

P.S. This is assuming he's done sleepovers elsewhere before. I would not make this his first sleepover.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  6. Java

Java Approved members

I would not let him spend the night. It is just to hard to control D at night after they have been running around and playing hard. When my son has kids over to spend the night he always runs low at night. So there for you can not even tell her what to expect at night. I say go and get him before bedtime. I know it is hard but you have to do what is best or your son. Maybe one of her kids could come back home with your son and spend the night and have something special for them like a movie or something.

7. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I try really hard to not let D be the reason I say no to things, often measure saying yes or no by considering if I would/did let my older son do it at the same age. I would look at this as a chance to provide your son some independence, your daughters to step up and share the load for their little brother, and your SIL and family to show support to him.

8. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Sorry I was'nt clear before about my girls. They both would knock the kid out who would touch Trey's pump. My oldest dd would even test Trey and treat in a emergency if need be. They have just never been left in this sort of situation before.

I really appreciate everyone's response

They will also be horseback riding. This would be a new experience for Trey since D. I am unable to be there with him for this.

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

How far away will you be from them in an emergency?

10. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

I hate to say no to sleepovers because they are the BEST in children's eyes....there's nothing more fun! So I try not to let diabetes be a hindrance to these things. However, I think I would have to say no in this case if it was me because of the children you describe. If they laugh when breaking a Playstation then a medical device won't be any more honored by them and you know what happens when the first child falls asleep at a sleepover! Yikes! Can only imagine what might go through their head to do to that a pump! If you do decide to let them go, though, I agree with what one person posted and that is to tell the parents how much the pump costs and that they are responsible if something happened (in a nice way, of course:)). Good luck....keep us updated if you decide for them to go!

11. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I wouldn't let them go either.

a couple of scenerios go off in my head
    -the brats think the pump is a toy and start bolusing .
    -the brats break pump. then how do you get moneyout of them to pay. Our insurance will only pay if its stolen. Idon't think it will pay if someone broke it. and we have a 1000 deductible.