- advertisement -

What would make D even a tiny bit easier for you or your child?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by thebestnest5, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

A system of patents where Animas could suggest a bolus amount based on the settings rather than having to start from 0.

A pump that we could wave over the food and have it calculate the carbs in the food.

A warning that goes off if the person eats someting without bolusing in 5 minutes.

A warning that goes off if the person boluses about the same amount within 10 minutes.

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I'll take the magic wand device where you put it over the food it calculates the carbs and then subtracts for what is dropped, spilled, or wiped all over by a toddler.

Some true ability to see how the insulin is working - as in is it really only lasting four hours with no tail, or is it lasting more/less - maybe infrared insulin that changes in color as it's no longer working. This would also help in knowing whether or not the insulin was making it into my child so I don't have to worry if the site is needing changed or if the basal is off or if the I:C ratio is off.

Some sort of differentiation through insurance companies so that I don't have to constantly ask for different treatment than other people with diabetes - for example I don't know why we have to provide logs and explanations for why a two year old needs 13 fingerpokes a day. He's two...he doesn't fully vocalize his lows/highs, he runs like mad one minute and lays around the next, again he's not all the other patients. Stop making me feel awful for convincing you that I NEED to poke him that much, trust me I wish I didn't!

Insurance companies just covering the medical devices endo's prescribe, such as CGM without any justification needed. I wonder the last time somebody need justification for antibiotics, chemotherapy, or even birth control.

Some sort of glucose that was given by a patch, Isaac's teeth are really having trouble and this would save us a ton.

More financial aid available for people with t1d.

3. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

- Something non-invasive, like a hair elastic, or an ankle bracelet, that measures the time and intensity of exercise, and spits out a multiplication factor to take exercise into account when dosing insulin - with a memory too - that has the option of taking into account gymnastics coming up tonight.

- I guess Smart Insulin would not even have to know about exercise, being so Smart, lows and highs would be thing of the past.

- A CGM that was super comfortable, fast, and accurate, and cheap, that did not even need calibration.

OK, now, scaling back to a tiny bit easier - middle of the night carbs that did not cause the worry of tooth decay. (Right now, after eating or drinking something in the night, DD wants to brush her teeth.)

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Smart insulin. Presumably we'd still need to be careful to watch for lows, but I'd take that in a heartbeat.

5. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Smart Insulin.

I would love a shot for lows.

A shot that works as fast as fast acting, but I wouldn't have to wake her up in the middle of the night.

Or something like Becky mentioned. Something with sugar absorbed in the skin.

6. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Hands down--just give me some version of the long-awaited-but-apparently-never-to-be-approved Sentry for the CGM. If I could just glance at my Blackberry/phone/watch/guardian unit/whatever and see his BGs and trendline...what a quality of life improvement that would be. Imagine eliminating/seriously reducing the "have you checked/what's your number" diaglogues. I am sure my son hates hearing me ask this and I hate hearing myself ask. How darn hard could this be to devise and WHY has this never been released???? Ugh.

Oh yes, CGM alarms that can be heard would be right up there too...how hard could it be to add adjustable volume/ringtones?

7. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Some of these are repeats:

A delayed bolus option on pump (bolus starts in 1 hour)
    A remote device for the cgms for parents or wireless transmission to parents phone (even better).
    Mandatory insurance coverage for cgms for all type 1's across the board
    Smart Insulin (this would be huge not tiny for us)
    Painless BG tests or a cgms that was so accurate fingersticks weren't needed)
    Color screen on the pump and replace the dot matrix looking font
    Ability to program 2 temp basals back to back -- 0% for 1/2 hour followed by 90% for 4 hours
    Decent remote from Medtronic
    Restaurants required to provide full nutrition info. Same for deli/bakery

I can dream.

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I second that about MM remote...seems if we could just blend the three major pumps we'd have a perfect union!

9. Dmama24/7/365

Dmama24/7/365 Approved members

Dare to dream....

1. A glucose patch.
    2. Yes! A cgm that is as accurate if not more than a meter so testing is obsolete.
    3. Tubeless Ping :)
    4. Affordable strips and sensors.
    5. A robot that performs the 3 nightime checks I do everynight.... And wakes me as needed.

I know theres more.....

10. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Som great ideas out there!

Delayed bolus feature on the pump

Meter that wirelessly transfers to my computer so I don't have to upload to see our graphs etc

A perfectly accurate meter

Meter that doesn't require strips and is virtually painless

Smart insulin

And this is the easiest one but a personal D assistant who was 100% completely knowledgable on all things D and could tell me when and how to bolus for foods and NOT get a spike hrs down the road ;)

11. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Yes! I would like this feature. Or be able to give a bolus NOW and then give the 2nd bolus three hours later, not just as a square.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Just a few things that would make it easier for us.

A pump that has basals patterns named for day of the week that changes automatically like the Cozmo pump did.:(

A CGM that send data to my cell phone.

A BG meter that send data to my cell phone.

Guaranteed insurance coverage on all diabetic supplies for type 1's to prevent complications later. CGM sensors etc.

Be able to do a combo bolus with one already going.

Site reminder on pump like Cozmo had.

Smart insulin

13. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

Ok how is this for a little far fetched and way out there..would it be nice it there could be a tiny sensor that could be implanted under the skin that would read their BG's all the time and have correct numbers and the only thing you would need to do is scan the sensor instead of poking them a million times a day :D

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes!! My son eats the same thing for breakfast almost every day--and every day is different! What's up with that???

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Except I want a remote that has ALL the features of the pump, not one that just allows you to bolus remotely. I want the remote to have CGM features, the ability to change basal patterns and set temp basals, the ability to change other pump settings, and to display all alarms and alerts. Oh, and to have an integrated Accu-Chek meter. With a backlit screen and strip light.

16. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Yes!!

We have the joke of a remote.:rolleyes: DD would rather hike up her dress in a bathroom stall and bolus,then use that lame remote.

17. shekov

shekov Approved members

This is what I want too!

18. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Yes! A full featured remote that sits on the nightstand or stays in parents room would be awesome. My daughter's a good sport, but when I come in at 3am I have to uncover her, and sometimes roll her over to find her pump and give her a bolus.

19. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

Yea I have to do the pat down last night looking for her pump..I had to grab the tubing and follow..lol

20. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Except for the CGM, this is basically what the Omnipod is. Except for the Freestyle meter - that has been orphaned by Abbott. But I can bolus or run a temp basal while my son skateboards around the center island in our kitchen, and have, several times.