- advertisement -

What would cause new sensor to be so off?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, Aug 18, 2013.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana put a new sensor on at midnight last night. We always have some off numbers The first 12 or so hours of a new sensor, however, it's been almost 24 hours now and it has not been accurate at all today. At 11 am today it said she was 46 when she was 90. Now it says she's 250 two arrows up when she's 150. There hasn't been one accurate number today. Has anyone experienced this? I'm going to change it now. Hate to do it because I have to use our last one. Our new shipment goes out tomorrow. We leave for Hawaii a week from today. I'm going to call in the morning and hopefully catch the order before it ships and ask that it it be sent 2nd day delivery.

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

What brand cgms? I think you will get more salient responses if we know the brand.

3. 3kidlets

She has the Dex G4

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

All I can offer is that she's dehydrated or it's a dud ... I'd try to get her to drink, if you think it's possibly that, before pulling it.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

Possibly inserted in muscle instead of soft tissue. Where is it located?

Other than looking at a poorly placed sensor my on other suggestion is bad calibrations - entering BG when on a steep up or down slope. We always enter Bgs when more than 10% off regardless of when the sensor was started.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't know if you use numbing creme, but the only sensor we've had that has behaved like that, I think was the result of not getting all of the numbing creme wiped off well before insertion.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I was wondering if an adhesive is the problem. Same thing, if it is in the area where the sensor went in, you can get very inaccurate numbers.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have had some G4 sensors act just like that. Also several Dexcom Seven plus sensors do the same thing. We don't use numbing cream or tape underneath. Sometimes I can keep calibrating(even with those crazy double down and up) and it finally starts working right. Otherwise it usually fails or I give up and pull it. I download the data and Dexcom has always replaced them.

9. 3kidlets

We don't use numbing cream.

I didn't pull it yet. I waited to see what happened overnight. The numbers were a little closer but still no where as accurate as we usually see. I'm going into check her now. If it's still off, I'll replace it this a.m. I guess it's just one of those things. This is the first one in 4 months that has done this, so just wondering what was up.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have found on some of those we can calibrate more often and sometimes it starts working correctly

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

I would try a restart first, and then replace.

12. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

Dex told us to calibrate three times five minutes apart. That works for us sometimes.