- advertisement -

What was your original A1C at time of D being diagnosed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bigbluefrog, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I have a friend who works with elderly and an optometrist, and she was shocked to hear my dd first A1c was 13.7.

And to make matters worse the nurse sitting next to her never heard of such a high number. I get the feeling they are used to dealing with type 2 diabetics and type 1s being treated with insulin.

Not the first diagnosed type 1 diabetics.

So what was your first A1C?

idk maybe 13.7 is odd:(

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Not totally sure as it was a bit of a haze, but I'm almost certain mine was unreadable (above 14).

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Ours was the upper 12's if I'm not mistaken. I have it written down somewhere.

I have learned not to share much information with people to avoid what you experienced. I am always amazed at how much people think they know about Diabetes.... :rolleyes:

4. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

16-something

5. Kdh012677

Kdh012677 Approved members

My sons a1c was over 14 and they acted like they could not believe he was not passed out. His blood sugar was 612. And they put him in icu and the nurse that was taking care of him acted like she did not know how to treat a type 1 diabetic and told us that she did not like to mess with insulin.

6. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Dd remembers it as 13.1, I remember it as being in the 15's. She's probably right.

She was not in DKA, but had large ketones, so DKA was probably not too far off.

7. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

DD was 9.6, which is unusually low I think for a type 1 diagnosis. Her BS at her pediatrician that morning was 317 and then she was 218 at the endo's office. She was not in DKA and was not hospitalized. We were trained there at the endo's office for about 3 hours, and then another 2 hours or so the next week and then another 2 hours with the nutritionist a month later.

She was 447 later that first night, which scared us to death.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel's was 7.4 and she was in DKA. Special nursed for 3 days :(

9. Megszers

Megszers Approved members

I don't know exactly, because they could only read them up to 14. Mine was over 14

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My daughters was in the 12s.
    They must be thinking of type 2s.

11. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Mine I think was 9.7

12. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

My daughter's was 12 when she was dx'd and she was at the start of DKA so she was in the hospital for three days.

13. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler's was 17.4 :(

14. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

DD's was 12 something.

15. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My sons was 17. He was in full DKA, with a blood sugar of 1382. He was lifeflighted to children's hospital. He slipped into a coma 30 minutes after we arrived at the local emergency room. At the time I had no idea what the numbers meant. I just remember the doctor telling us that our baby was very sick.

16. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

My son's A1C was 8.0. You'll find that there are waaayyyyy to many people and yes...many of them nurses who don't know the difference between type 1 and type 2. At my son's diagnosis, his level was 720. Based on all of the numbers and blood work, his endo said that he most likely had not had it very long at all or his A1C would have been much, much higher (but that, of course, also depends on how fast and how dramatically his little cells stop working). My sister-in-law, who is a nurse, wanted to argue that was not true as anyone with an 8.0 has had diabetes for a very long time. I'm sure my sister-in-law has never dealt with anyone except those with type 2 and had no clue what she was talking about...but whatever!

I actually know a nurse who has a brother with type 1 and another brother with type 2, who also is not an expert by any means. This nurse actually tried to tell me that when my son gets older, the need to test will decrease dramatically...to like only 1-2 times a day. Don't I wish!

Keep in mind though...there are some very good nurses out there, but when dealing with type 1 diabetes you have to be really careful about the advice you accept as truth. :)

17. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

7 year old daughter was 12.7 and blood sugar 850

18. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

A1C 11.3, BG of 306, no DKA but large ketones. Our eye doctor told my daughter that the closer she can keep her A1C to 6, there are far less chances of retinopathy. She told her that she has a friend with none after 30 years.

19. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

14, which is as high as the reading goes at the hospital where she was diagnosed. BG was 600; she was in DKA, but chatty and wanted to walk around the children's hospital to find the Rue Goldberg machine

20. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

I honestly don't remember if they told us what ds's A1C was at diagnosis, but I do remember his bg was 589 with no ketones. They said we caught it very early.