- advertisement -

What was your childs LOWEST number without passing out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrokenPancreas, Sep 19, 2009.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

26 - in Kindergarten, walking to the nurse's office by himself. Nice, huh? That nurse is no longer at his school, and Connor now has a 504 Plan with help from the ADA.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

27 when she was on NPH. Seemed a bit drunk ( she was 5) at the time. :rolleyes:

A recent, persistent 48 was actually a "worse" low. The number matters, but also the cause of the low and the duration of the low contribute to the severity - imho.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

You and our endo share this opinion. Me, too.

4. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

My lowest (and worse) low was 35, about 3 weeks ago.
    I was in my dorm room alone, on the phone with someone from minimed and I really felt like I was going to pass out, but thankfully I did not! I had to walk down the hall to get a soda. I have never in my life been so sweaty! It was gross. It left me exhausted. I felt like I coulf have slept for days!

5. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

curious~ Is there any theory on why these lows happen with no serious side effects?

I have seen Ambrea feel worse with higher numbers...and I read earlier someone thought it was the quickness of the drop that may effect them more.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I would tend to agree with that... my worst lows have crept up on me... dropping from 100 to 40 during a 90 minute class, for example, wouldn't be enough for my body to trigger the "OMG you're going low" symptoms.. but dropping from 120 to 65 in 15 minutes can, and those lows definitely feel MUCH worse.

Unfortunately in terms of catching them I don't tend to have a lot of the fast drops. I've noticed since wearing the dex, that my "normal" lows are almost always a gradual decline... too subtle to notice just by feel, but they can and definitely do happen in the time between regular BG checks, and I test a lot. That's part of the downside of tight control - you're closer to low to start off with, so it really doesn't take a huge drop to get into hypo land, and if it creeps up on you, there's almost no chance of catching it. I think that contributes a LOT to my hypo-unawareness.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I get the opposite. My theory is that my body feels low about 15 minutes after I hit 60, so if I'm dropping slowly, I might only be 58 15 minutes after I hit 60, and so I catch it before it gets bad. If I'm dropping fast, however, I might be 10 15 minutes after I hit 60, and that's obviously not brilliant... YDMV, but that's what happens to me. I always catch slow lows at a higher number than fast ones.

8. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Max had a LO about 4 months after dx. Had bad tremors, but was able to say "juice".

9. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Zoe has recently had a 29, did not seem like she was that low, but has had several where she stays low for a long time with lots of carbs where she feels horrible. Morgan has had a 20 and been walking around like nothing was wrong. She had a 29 about 2 months ago with full on eyes rolling back in head, sweating profusely, unable to walk, talk or drink. We put gobs of icing in her mouth. She came out of it in about 10 minutes, but it was horrible. The worst was actually a few nights ago, but I haven't posted about it because I don't want to scare newbies. Morgan had been HIGH before bed and did a correction, I always check her when this happens. I woke about an hour before my alarm went off and decided to go ahead and check her. When I went into her bedroom I touched her arm to let her know I was there and she was soaked with sweat, everywhere, shaking. I knew she was very low (from the 29 before) and just ran to get her juice. She drank 2 without stopping, frantically. Then I checked her...60. What? I started to leave to go check her sister and she clung to me and begged me not to leave her. I waited while she shook and checked in 20 minutes....45. WHAT?! All I could think was she had been in the middle of a BIG crash and I caught it. She was still only 70 after 2 hours and 50g of juice uncovered. That was the most scared I've ever been. I've had trouble sleeping for a week because I don't know what would have happened had I waited for the alarm. I think God woke me up!

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

23 is the lowest I've actually measured it at, but there have been numerous in the upper 20s, and some of them were ten or more minutes after treating a low that I had felt. With the 23, I was no where near passing out.

Also, when I wore the CGMS, there were many times I saw a BELOW 40 and didn't check what the actual number was. I strongly suspect that some of those were below 30. About half of the times that it said BELOW 40, I didn't even notice it at the time; some were during the night and came up on their own, one memorable one was after I had treated a hypo (so it giving some time before it alarmed again) and was at work and didn't notice that it alarmed again for about an hour at which point it had been showing BELOW 40 for half an hour with a drop rate of about 60 mg/dl per hour before that, and it took about 30 grams of sugar to come up.

I have never passed out from hypoglycemia. I have woken up psychotic while hypo; my therapist says that under extreme stress the body sometimes doesn't transition well from sleep to an awake state and I think that's what has happened.

11. lisab

lisab Approved members

Yas has had too many LO readings (under 19) over the years - quite a few with no symptoms and appearing normal.

Yet she has had seizures in the 50's.

12. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Twice, when Marissa was very young, she was 18 mg/dl (1 mmol/l) on an ACCU-CHEK II meter (120 seconds!).

13. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

28 and 44 both no passing out. He was 47 at one point and I couldn't wake him up, that was scary as anything.

14. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann tested 19 once. Many, many in the 20s and 30s---but then she had a lot of high numbers too, but that is another thread.

15. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

19!! And he was walking around, only thing that made me think something was wrong was that he was trying to drink from the wrong end of his sippy cup!

16. Toni

Toni Banned

She has been 20 twice over night (on vacation, swimming laps). And she had a low on the meter at school. These are numbers from a few years ago. Those numbers were downloaded and I'm sure that helped us get cgms for her. She can go in the mid-40s or 50s even though we do test and watch carefully. She does not always feel this kind of a low. She has never passed out, etc, though Sis said she was symptomatic when 20. She had been carbed and temp-basaled down the two times she hit 20. I'm not sure if it was really 20 because there is a 30 percent or more variation in the meter. I would definitely be scared if she hit 20; I just give juice if she is 50; don't worry as much as I used to. I know just because nothing happened before at this level does not mean it cannot happen, but I do feel more confident because, so far, nothing has. P.S. Download that meter or don't use it until you can so you can save that number in memory in the event you may want and have to fight insurance for cgms.