- advertisement -

What was your child's blood glucose at dx?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Apr 24, 2009.

1. jacobandhannah

jacobandhannah Approved members

Jacob was over 600 and an A1C over 13.

2. Anna-C.Momof3

Anna-C.Momof3 Approved members

Ray was 896 and in DKA. Addison was 324 but thankfully hers was caught relatively early.

3. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Reese was at 450. He has monthly CBC and chem panel blood tests to monitor his recovery from lymphoma and chemo. The two months prior to diabetes dx, he was at 189 and 190 and no one told us, even though I had been pointing out to his Oncologist that his appetite was suddenly very low and that he complained his stomach hurt at every meal.

For those who blame themselves for not seeing the changes, please let yourselves off the hook. This disease is so subtle, that my son was being carefully followed by Drs. and had me hovering over him and worrying about him terribly, and we ALL missed it until we got the blood test with the 450 bg. He had been drinking and peeing alot too, and even wetting the bed, and still none of us figured out what was going on.

4. Jboudo01

Jboudo01 Approved members

487. A1C was 8.3....no ketones...Signs were excessive thirst for 1 week, excessive urinating and started bedwetting. All within about 2 weeks.
    We caught it early. Ped checked for urinary tract infection and then thought it would be good to check bg. I thank God for him being thorough!

5. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

At the pharmacy it just read "hi." At the doctors' office it just read "hi." And at the hospital they got two readings. One just over 600, one just under. I know she was in DKA at that point, but I don't know what her A1C was. Too much information at once. Really, the hospital stay is just a blur in my memory now.

6. CrystalK

CrystalK Approved members

Addison's bg was 864 at Diagnosis. High ketones, no DKA, in the hospital for 5 days.

7. lisalotsamom

lisalotsamom Approved members

Tessa's BG was 700, and she was in DKA.

It was her blood gases that really freaked me out though (I'm a former RN)...her blood pH was 6.9, which I knew was almost incompatible with life. She was sedated, intubated and placed on a ventilator to help "blow off" some of the CO2 and lower the acid in her blood.

Among other treatments, of course, like lots of IV fluids once they were able to get a line in (ended up going into her shin bone because she was so dehydrated), IV insulin and other meds.

8. elained

elained Approved members

Robbie was 49.9 (898, I think) with no keytones. He has excessive thirst and urinating and also had started to wet the bed. We had a 6 night hospital stay.

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

440 on the drs meter. That was after he had lunch on the way to the drs. No ketones, no hospitalization, no symptoms other than wetting the bed a few times.
    a1c was low 5's I think, maybe even 4 something??

I'll never forget seeing 440 pop up, the dr asks me if he had a sugar free juice box and to go to the car to check. I called dh to ask him what 440 meant as his dad has D.

10. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Dd's fasting bg was 301, ketones +++ (anyone know what that means?), and A1c 15.something. No DKA. She had lost 15 pounds in a month following stomach flu. Hospitalized for 3 days/2 nights for education. 10 months prior to dx, a random bg was 150, retested fasting at 88, but I have to wonder if her panc was starting to go even then.

11. hsmommyofmany

hsmommyofmany Approved members

my son was 3, 2 weeks of symptoms (increased thirst and urination), his BS was over 700 (not sure exactly) and a1c was 10.8.

12. mamort

mamort Approved members

Matthew who we thought had the flu 597, ketones present 3 day hospital stay, home for couple of days, Allison whiney and thirsty tested on Matthews new meter 520, keytones present, no hospital stay. (because we already knew what to do according to Endo.)

13. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Christian had a 355 fasting bg. But 2 nights before he was sleeping on the couch and I borrowed a friends meter and it kept reading hi. I couldn't get it to give me a number so I took it back to my friend and asked her what hi meant and she didn't know. We thought something was wrong with the meter so she threw it away.:eek:

14. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

BG was 636 or 638 don't remember exactly, don't feel like looking it up. I had massive amounts of ketones for the 4 days I was in the hospital. But I wasn't in DKA. Just a high bg w/ ketones.

15. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I was 440 at diagnosis. I had a boil that needed to be surgically lanced. I was in the hospital 10 days. I should have only been there 9. I threatened to tie sheets together and climb out the window the next day if I was not released. I was really nasty to the staff on the 9th day. To the point they had the one nurse I had bonded with call me and calm me down. This was also 24 years ago now.
    Wendy

16. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Grant was 453...no DKA...no ketones.

We were in the hopital for three days.

17. Liann

Liann Approved members

Forgive my ignorance, what would a sugar free juice box have to do with a high reading? Do the sugar free sweetners raise bg or something? I'm just curious, as I am new and learning... Thanks.

18. khannen

khannen Approved members

Shealyn's was over 600... high as the lab meter would read at the Ped's office. A1C was over 10. She lad large ketones, but was only in the hospital less than 24 hours. Since I grew up with Dad (T1 for over 50 yrs), I was already quite familiar with T1 and the care needed. They got the ketones cleared and we ran away from the hospital as quickly as we could.

19. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

Jacob's blood was 445 at dx. He was going to the bathroom alot and drinking alot, which unfortunately at the time didnt click with me, but he was cooking with his dad one morning and told him he felt dizzy then he fainted, when he came to he threw up, after a while he ate and felt better, then I just knew having grown up with my brother who was diagnosed when I was 17.

20. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

BG was 515, also DKA :(