- advertisement -

What was the best memory of your dx'd day?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by misscaitp, Sep 26, 2008.

1. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Weird question, huh?

I think that being dx'd was devastating, not leaving much to be positive about. But every cloud always has a silver lining. Whether it be the people around you or feeling better than you did when you got that first shot of insulin.

For me:

The paramedics. They made me comfortable on the ride to the hospital, turned off the lights in the back so I could go to sleep. But the thing is they were only there to transport me there to the nearest local hospital, but they that hospital wasn't equip enough to deal with a child w/ diabetes. So when they could have left, and left me waiting there for 4 hours. Instead they decided to drive to Walter Reed. They were the nicest people I met that day.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The energy! I felt like I was coming back from the dead. I was so so relieved.

About a week earlier, when I got the doctor appointment, I had written in my journal that I hoped it was something treatable like diabetes because otherwise I was not going to be able to go to school or work, I was so sick. To be able to walk and talk and see and think- that was wonderful. I've never felt so grateful to be alive, and also I've never felt so afraid of death.

3. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

My brothers responses. I could see how much they loved me and actually cared about me. They refused to leave the hospital and gave up many things while I was there.

4. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

On the way to the hospital my mom took me to barnes and noble and bought everything I asked for.

Oh and the fact that my mom sat with me the whole time and only left once (to go get stuff at walmart and eat normal food)

5. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

my educator-she had diabetes and made me feel s much better. and i still see her at JDRF stuff:D. she did my pump start too:cool:

Hope-mom got me a little 4 inch cream colored kitten that we named(together) Hope.

Sugar free chocolate-Grandma felt bad for me and so she went down to the gift shop and got me sugar free mint and reg. flavored chocolate and i ate and ate and ate that stuff. and the the nutritionist came the next morning and......:eek:

and Lisa-she was a med student, she was there for the first night shift. she also did my blood draw at 6am and gave me a barbie:D

my mom sayed with me the whole time, didn't leave once, and that helped. and i found out that we were placing membership at our church which ment we were staying there and not going some where else, so that made me very happy!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  6. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

More...
    It was easter so they gave me like 7 easter baskets. There was one nurse that was really nice. I really liked her.

7. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

That I did not have to be confused and shake any more and that something was being done about it.
    That the doctor believed that I had diabetes, unlike my other doctor:mad:

8. Jordyn

Jordyn Approved members

Umm... I think mine is watching all th eAmerican Idol in the emergency room.. i was in there for like 8 hours and i had absoutly no idea what diabetes was or what was going on, so seeing all the bad singers trying to siing was great.
    My mom and i had a blast!!
    ( well i guess it couldnt really be a blast because i was in the hospatle and we just found out that i had diabetes.. but its soo funny to eatch those people sing! )

9. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I don't really have any great memories my mom couldn't be there and neither could my dad. I was all alone. For the first Dx of reactive hypoglycemia which was done locally. Second dx was better because my mommy could be there and I had been part of an online community and I had a few really close best friends. A bit before it she sent me Elley and than after she sent me another present.
    The best part of being Dxed MODY meant that I had half of an answer to a puzzle that still doesn't realy make sense.
    The best part was reliezeing I wasn't a freak of nature. But most of all the best part was finding CWDS

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Is it possible to have a good memory!? Maybe eating lunch and breakfast earlier without having to check BG, check carbs, and take a shot....little did I know....;)

Really though, the best memory was seeing what a tight unit my family is.

My entire family was there in record speed. My mom and sister were already at the office, but from the phone call to my dad and brother(who were on their way to a Rockies game)...they were literally at the Hospital faster then I could ever imagine.

I remember my dad walking the halls of Children's to see if they had the channel for the baseball game(I am a baseball fan, can ya tell?). And, of course, they didn't but the nurses made light jokes about it(especially because both my dad and brother were decked out in full Rockies gear).

I think, I just realized really how much my family loves me, and how much they mean to me. The second best memory would be how much better I felt after they gave me insulin(literally, the Doctor gave me Lantus and Humalog, and almost immediately my intense thirst went away, and other symptoms). I remember going home that night(I was not going into DKA, so they let me go home after a few hours), and telling my mom...that while I didn't wish I didn't need insulin, it wasn't so bad seeing how I felt human again. I felt alive again.

11. V-ball_girl_93

V-ball_girl_93 Approved members

(I am new, but saw this and wanted to post on it!) Hmm... lets see, my best memory was prolly the nurses. I had two VERY amazing nurses. It was a very hard day, but my family was there for me! I also love to learn about new stuff, so when I was learning about how to take care of myself, I guess you could say I felt smart! And I like feeling smart! ;) lol! So, learning everything, oh and not getting up 20 billions times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom was AWESOME!!! =D That is what drove me crazy. Always having to go to the bathroom! lol! :) All good now! I remember after I was diagnosed, prolly about a month later I went to the movies, and was SOOO proud of myself for not having to get up and go to the bathroom during the movie! lol! (I know, stupid, but it was something that had always bothered me! lol!)

12. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

not stupid, i felt the same way after i got through a whole church service(an hour) with out having to get up:cool: