- advertisement -

What was going on in your head?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by misscaitp, Sep 4, 2008.

1. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I was just wondering what was going on in your head during your own or child's dx'd?

Everyone body thinks different things, some people were in shock and didn't have time to think, some people think what am I going to do, or some people think it will be okay.

Just wanted to know where everyone else standing on this matter.

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I really don't remember. I was 7 so that was 10 years ago. I sort of wish i could remember more. I didnt know what d was so i had no reason to be scared. My mom was sobbing and i said "its ok momma don't cry!" I know that I didnt mind the shots, I was more scared of all the people there than the shot. I encouraged my mom to try giving me a shot (crazy how I was prepared to have d), but refused to do my own finger poke lol. I quickly got over that one!

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was mostly overwhelmed. Also, I was really really really mad that the adults had let me get so dramatically ill. And I was also mad that they wanted to keep me in the hospital. And I was scared about going blind.

4. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Well my diagnosis was a little different than most. We were pretty sure, about 2 weeks before i saw my endo, that I had diabetes. I don't remember what I felt, not exactly. I cried, that I remember. Not because I was scared, but because I was starting something new (high school) and it was hard enough as it is, let alone with diabetes. I don't think that I have ever been afraid because of diabetes. Lonely? sure. But afraid? never. I was diagnosed 11 days before christmas, so that was hard.
    I think though that I mostly thought "ok here we go" But I just accepted it and moved on. It didn't really matter what i thought, because I couldn't change it. Never asked "why me?". I just did what I had to do:)

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

My mom was more sobby than me. At first I cried, but after they got the IV in (sometimes I wonder if it was just the IV??) I was fine. Shots, finger pokes, counting carbs, didn't really bother me.

6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

For me I was more of wondering why they were smelling my breath, it not exactly the common greeting. And why people were rushing around. I also thought that the hospital was mostly for sick people and didn't understand why I had to go. But I decided to relieve the tension, by saying "please don't mess up my shoes, I just got them." That made people laugh.

7. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

i was ten and a half. i didn't really get what was going on at first, just that some thing was wrong, i had to go to another doctor(we found out at my yearly check up)and that i might have to stay at the hospital. i had a doughnut and a can of regular soda on the way down to the endo's, LOL! once i was at the hospital i was scared, i didn't know what was going to happen or what life was going to be like. and i freaked about the needles:cwds:

8. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I don't really remember what was going through my head. I remember my mom cried a lot for the first couple of days after I was diagnosed, though.

9. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I was really upset. My grandpa has diabetes (modi) and did not take care of it. He lost his leg just about a month before d'x. The example of diabetes in my head was him. I HATED my first shot, as they chose to give me Lantus as my fist shot and it stung bad and I cried.

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I was 17 at diagnoses...and it happened this past April.

I knew, long before they actually said anything...something was wrong.

The Nurse took one look at the meter(it just read HI) snatched it and quietly left the room.

She returned moments later with my doctor, she asked me to wash my hands...just to make sure.

I did, holding back tears...I already knew it wasn't good. She told me to hope for the number to be between 70-120...

The countdown on the meter was very intense. You would have thought we were watching the countdown for the first flight to space. It was one of those slow meters too...10, 9, 8....I just remember praying. Asking for it to please be a mistake. Then the last few seconds passed 3,2,1...HI again.

I believe I started crying at that point, I don't think my mom realized what was really going on. Diabetes was very new to her, and I think she came to the appointment assuming I would be fine...like usual. When they gave me the cup to go test my Sugar urine, I walked out to see my sister walking towards me(she worked in the same building as my Ped Office). She knew I had an appointment, and stopped by to say hi(she use to work there, so I knew almost everyone in the office, and so did she). She was all smiles, and instantly could tell something was wrong. She asked me, and all I said was "I have HI sugar."

After that test, I heard my Doctor talking outside. My sister(who knew my doctor, as we had all gone to baseball games together), was out there talking with them. My mom stayed with me, and I think it was then she started to understand everything.

I think one of the things I will always remember is the great family I have. I called my dad after the diagnoses, and told him they were sending me to the ER. He and my 21 year old brother were on their way to a Rockies game...they turned around, and were at the Hospital right as I walked in.

To be honest, I didn't feel fear right away...my family really comforted me. I did feel relief though. To finally have answers to all my quiet concerns about my health, and also how much better I felt once they gave me insulin(finally...the incredible thirst I had been having went away...thank goodness).

It hit me the following days, through D bootcamp(or so I dubbed it)...and realizing how sudden my life changed. I felt like it wasn't me they were talking about, and that it was all a dream....

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We went to the hospital after a long night so we were all kind of exhausted already and Aaron felt really rough. I remember when his BS came out so high a young nurse was walking by on the way to another patient and she said in passing, "No wonder. High sugars make you feel like crap!" I thought stupidly, "He can't have diabetes, because my friend Cathie's daughter has it, and Philip two doors down has it, so how could Aaron have it too?" Meanwhile, Aaron, who has been so brave and uncomplaining through this whole thing, gets kind of teary and says, "So I'll never have a freezie again?"

The only saving grace was what you said, Danielle -- how fast he felt better. It was amazing to watch.

12. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

To tell you the honest truth, I was so out of it as my mom drove me from the pediatricians office to the ER, that I didnt know what to think...it was like I wasn't even human at that moment. I was just sitting there, as my mom cried, and I tried to calm her down. I kept telling her that it would be OK, and that I would be ok, just like my best friend. It was a life-changing experience though.

13. Mars

Mars Approved members

It was a total shocker for us. We found out at his annual checkup. It was not our usual doctor, and he was so awful about everything. All he told us was the bad things that could happen - blindness, lose a limb, kidney failure - it was unbelievable. He was a total alarmist and said we had to get to the hospital right away. After the shock, and then the anger at the doctor for being such an idiot, I felt a terrible heaviness in my heart. I felt like I had failed my son and I wanted to take it away from him and give it to myself. My son has been a brave warrior from the get go.

I have been reading all the postings on this thread from the youngsters with their own diagnoses, and I just have to tell you how much I admire you all. You are brave, and you all have a very special place in my heart.