- advertisement -

What type of pump? Don't know how to start a poll?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lrvesquire, Jun 29, 2009.

1. lrvesquire

lrvesquire Approved members

So my son's numbers are crazy right now, and while we were thinking about going to pump, endo thinks he may be producing his own insulin even in small amounts again. Dx was 2 years ago. In the meantime, still thinking about pump even though they are putting him on a levemir only schedule.
    SO please chime in on pumps, preferences, etc. I am leaning towards the one touch ping.
    He is almost 4, active as heck and as tired of shots as we are!

2. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie uses the Ping and we love it.

3. moco89

moco89 Approved members

4. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Willows uses the animas ping and loves it - my dh uses the Omni Pod and LOVEs it.

5. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Reese is on Omnipod and we are very happy with it.

6. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

MM 722 here. she loves it, we have had 0 problems and great costumer service..we picked the mm because of the CGMS. I like that we would be able to see her BG numbers on her pump. We haven't gotten the CGMS yet, I'm waiting a little longer for the parent monitor there supposed to be coming out with

7. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We are in our saline trail still, but we are going with the MM 522. We have the guardian CGMS so we are using the pump with it. We kept our guardian so we have that as a "parent" monitor for the time being.

8. lrvesquire

lrvesquire Approved members

Good to hear

Jillian,
    Your mom sent me an email on fb when first dxd. I remember because your daughter spells her name like i do. Glad to know you are trying the pump, please keep me informed. Tell your mother hi.

9. Noel

Noel Approved members

We are a Minimed family here.....both DH and son are very happy with them. DS has pumped with Animas prior to Minimed. In our experience service was better with Minimed, but again that was our experience...

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Former Cosmo users (LOVED it) but swithed to (MM over a year ago) for the paradigm real time system (with CGMS).

Very glad we did. It is extraordinary to be able to see glucose numbers in real-time, right on her pump.

One infusion site, one sensor site and ONE devise to pump and capture sensor readings. I recommend the MM CGMS system.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  11. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb uses the PING and loves it. He would not change for anything. However, I need to add that this is his first pump so we have nothing to compare it to.

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You can't go wrong with any of the pumps. It is a little like deciding which car to buy to replace your bicycle to go places. Having any pump has its advantages over shots. Contact the rep for each pump and take a look. Decide what it is that is important to you and go with that pump.

Very few have experience with more than one pump -- other than Cozmo users who have already switched and find there is no equivalent of a Cozmo pump. You can't go wrong with any of them.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son had just turned 4 when we started the MM pump. Two months later we added the CGMS. We love both, and can't imagine going without either of them now!

14. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I just wanted to add that when we first started pumping in 2005, I spent A LOT of time researching pumps. I narrowed it dowm to the Animas (for the tiny insulin adjustments and also for the waterproof feature) and the Cosmo for the integrated meter and also the watertight feature. I ultimately chose the Cosmo because I thought it would be simpler for my daughter to check her BG and have that number go directly to the pump, one less step. --I came to love the many extra features it had.

My point is (And I do have one :rolleyes: ) that I made my choice based on my daughter's needs (and mine) and on what was available at THAT time.

I am always looking out for the next improvement, or a better system.
    Now that she is older, I am able to help her use her CGMS to manage her glucose semi-independently.

So perhaps, concentrating on your needs for just the next 2 years will help you make your choice.

All the best!

15. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I use a Minimed 522 and I love it. I have had NO problems with it at all.
    It was not my first choice as far as pumps go ( I wanted a ping), but I really love my MM. I'm so glad that's the one I got.

16. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

My son is 3.5 and uses the OmniPod and we love it!!! I would call the reps for your top picks and have them come to your house and show you them in person.

17. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

MM722 (hold up to 300 units insulin) for Liv. We started with the MM522 (holds up to 180 units insulin). We use CGM with her pump and I can't imagine sleepovers without it; actually I can imagine it and I'm glad she has CGM. We've been happy with it.

18. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Deacon is on the Animas Ping and so far we love it. The meter remote makes it all worth while.

--Sara