- advertisement -

What to expect?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by THILL26, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm glad the appointment is tomorrow. I'm sorry to say but the pill the GP has given him most likely did nothing for him the past two weeks. Most pills that type 2s use are to help the body process insulin better. With type 1 the body isn't making insulin, there for there is nothing for the pill to do.

I hope you get a lot of answers tomorrow. Bring a pen and a note pad, there is so much information that its nearly impossible to remember it all at once. We're all here to help as well if you need it.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am glad your appointment is tomorrow! I think it is outright dangerous of your GP to wait two weeks. And by dangerous, I mean life threatening. The proper protocol would have been for your child to be hospitalized to make sure they were in no stage of DKA and to start an insulin regimen immediately, with you, your child, and your family learning everything there is to know about Type 1.

I truly hope you seek a new GP who understands how Type 1 can turn from an average of 250 to DKA in the blink of an eye.

Also, just an FYI, how you take care of your son will be completely different then how your dad does. Your son will probably be placed on a Multiple Daily Injection regimen, which works better and is more up to date for taking care of your son. It was eye opening for me since my step-dad was diagnosed about 20 years prior to my daughter.

3. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Good Luck tomorrow!

4. L101418

L101418 Approved members

I'm sorry, but do you know if the endo is a pediatric endo? Did the GP make the appt for you or did you call the endo to make the appt? Did the endo know your son's A1C was 9.4 and he was losing weight when they had you wait 1 1/2 weeks for him to be seen? And no one gave you a meter to take home? I just don't like it at all. Please let us know how it goes.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

VERY unusual and troubling way to handle a new Type 1 diagnosis. I hope that the OP comes back and lets us know how the Endo appointment went today. Also, you never mentioned where you are located, in the US or outside the US?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree with that one.

I hope your GP realizes that what he did could have led to serious consequences - that is down right incompetent frankly.

Make sure to see a pediatric endo and do some research on the many options available to your son for insulin and insulin delivery (pens, pumps, etc). Getting just two shots a day is very "old school" and may work well for some, but usually demands very rigid eating habits and difficulty with higher blood sugars.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Any update?