- advertisement -

What to expect?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by THILL26, Nov 6, 2011.

1. THILL26

THILL26 Approved members

My son who is 16 was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Type I diabetes. We go tomorrow to see the endocrinologist. Do they normally put you in the hospital to get your insulin going and to teach his dad and I and himself how to give insulin or can I just expect frequent doctor appts starting off? Im new at this so I really dont know what to expect at this stage.

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

when we were diagnosed we were sent home on insulin. After her #'s kept going low I called the pediatric hospital and they had us admitted. They did tell us they could do the classes without us being in the hospital but they werent for a few weeks so they had us admitted

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Is he not on insulin now? Sophie was put in the hospital at diagnoses and they started her on her insulin. They taught us how to do the injections, had us speak with a nutrictionist, and a diabetes educator.

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We were told with Kayla that it was type 1 two days before she started insulin. Her a1c was only 6.3 and we caught it early. We were admitted when we started. Noah was dx back in Jan and still hasn't started insulin.. his was caught even earlier. The endo told us that when he starts, we will do it at home.

5. THILL26

THILL26 Approved members

Thanks for the info. No, our family dr put him on a pill for sugar to do him until he sees the Endo tomorrow. His A1C was 9.4 and I have been having my father in law who is also a diabetic check his sugar on and off over the past two weeks and its running around 260 with the medication. When he as diagnosed on 10-26, his sugar at that time was 287. I assume they will start him on insulin but like I say, this is all new to me and I really dont know what to expect. Guess I will learn more tomorrow. Thanks again!

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Welcome to CWD. I'm a bit stunned that nearly two weeks will have passed since diagnosis and he's not yet seen the endo, and that he was put on a pill for sugar (can you identify that for me?). That is so far from my experience that I can't really wrap my head around it. My son was immediately hospitalized at dx (when he was 13), and his A1C was not as high as your son's (but the BG reading was much higher). He was hospitalized for two nights and was taught about carb counting and insulin use.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. THILL26

THILL26 Approved members

Thanks for the reply! I assume maybe because his BG level was not up in the 400 and 500 or higher range is why they did not rush it? It ran 361 prior to taking him to the family Dr and she basically just said the sugar pill was only a supplement until the Endo could get him started up on insulin.

8. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

when my daughter was diagnosed 4 years ago at the age of 7, she was immediately hospitalized with a BS of 850. When my 13 year was diagnosed this year, he wastn' because we were comfortable starting him on insulin.

We went to the hospital for a day of training for him.

I'm very surprised you son wouldn't have been given insulin right away, even a small dosage... a pill isn't the same as injections and I'm more surprised they waited 2 weeks.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you take him to the hospital?

Hope he's doing well.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think it's shockingly bad practice that they didn't get him started on insulin right away, if he has type 1. Absolutely.. wow.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

It seems very odd that they would not take immediate action given a blood sugar of 361 and an A1C of 9.4%.

What country are you in?

And what do you mean when you say they "gave him a pill for sugar"?

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Did they diagnose him as Type 1 or Type 2?

BTW, welcome to CWD:cwds:

12. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

J was started on insulin at diagnosis. He was dx by our family GP, and sent straight to the hospital. I would think twice about using any GP that put a child diagnosed as Type 1 on a pill.
    Is your child overweight - does the doctor maybe think it's Type 2 instead of Type 1?
    Since the pill hasn't lowered his BG significantly, it would seem to me he is definitely Type 1 and really needs insulin.

13. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

Welcome to CWD, I am sorry that you and your son and family have to go through this. I also am shocked that he was not sent directly to the hospital and started on insulin immediately and that you had to have a two week wait. My son's pediatrician told us to go home, pack a bag and go to the ER with expectations to be admitted. I am glad your son seems to be doing well, but if it were I, I would rethink the GP and the endo (for making you wait 2 weeks). With that aside, this is a great community you have found and you will learn alot here, good luck!

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

Welcome to CWD - I am surprised that your GP put him on a pill and didn't even give a meter or an RX for strips. That really doesn't sound like a T1 diagnosis to me! I hope when things calm down that you find a GP who understands the urgency behind this disease!

ETA - here is the problem with giving a pill for sugar: pills for sugar are used for T2 diabetes and help the insulin resistant body process sugar better. T1's are not insulin resistant, rather, they do not make or make very little insulin. So a pill for sugar will not help your son manage his T1.

15. L101418

L101418 Approved members

I'm so glad you are seeing an endo tomorrow. If the doctor suspected Type 1 I haven't heard of anything other than an immediate visit to a pediatric endo or ER.

My older daughter was diagnosed with an A1C in the 9s and BG in 200s and 300s. She was put on insulin immediately. Neither of my girls were hostipalized. We were taught the basics of insulin and carb counting in the doc office and followed up with classes.

16. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Hi I'm sorry about your son's diagnosis. It sounds like from your post that your son is currently not on any insulin. A lot of kids are automatically hospitalized after getting the diagnosis. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 19 months ago. She was admitted to the hospital that day and spent 36 hours there. While she was there we learned how to test blood sugars, give insulin shots, and count carbohydrates.

17. THILL26

THILL26 Approved members

Thanks Paula for the info. It was unexpected on us. He had his widsom teeth taken out in mid August and since that time he started loosing weight and was thirsty a lot. We took him to the dr for a checkup and that is when we found out. Our family dr stated that he needed to get in with a endo dr. I got a call later that day from the Endo dr and they stated they would see him in 2 weeks. I did ask at that time did they feel there was no rush (like in the next day or so) and I was told no, that his sugar level was staying around 260 for the past 3 months from the A1C test and that if they were 400/500+ they would but he was in no danger so therefore I went with the dr orders and have been cutting his sugar and carbs down and he has been taking a pill once a day since. Thanks for your reply!

18. THILL26

THILL26 Approved members

Thanks to you all for your responses. From the sound of things everyone is confused on the pill medication they gave my son. Yes, he was diagnosed as Type I. My mother is a Type 2 which she does take pills twice a day. My father in law is Type I and takes 2 shots a day. Our family GP diagnosed him that day we took him in as Type I. We had no idea this is what we would find out but they ran the A1C test and it came back that his sugar has been elevated for at least the past three months at 250 and we had no idea! He was weighing around 230 in Aug prior to having his widsom teeth taken out and since that time started to loose weight and dropped 25lbs and was staying thirsty all the time and going to the bath room more frequent. After talking to my mom and father in law, they suggested we get him tested so we made our appt to our family GP right away and that is when all this was found out. No, our GP told us that the pill would not do much good but it would be a supplement until we got in with the Endo dr the following week. When the appt was made, they had no openings until this week but I was assured due to his BG level, that he would be fine to be seen in basically a week and half later. He feels good, so therefore I really saw no reason to take him to the hospital. With being new to this, I would have thought I could put my trust in my dr and that of the endo dr but from all that I have read....it really makes me double question everything now. I am so thankful that his appt is tomorrow!!! I have been checking his level with either my father in laws meter or my moms and it has been staying around 250-260 range ever since. I will just be so glad to finally be seen tomorrow and get answers and feel like we are now at a starting level to get this under control and learn to live life in a way that benefits my son to the best of our ability. Thank you all so much for the replys. You all gave me a lot to think about and a lot to ask tomorrow as well. Good thing the appt is tomorrow...if not, I would probably be on my way to the hospital!!! Thanks again.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I agree with all the others that this is the strangest dx story ever, but putting that aside, these are my thoughts on the appointment.

Make sure that they explain the peak and duration of whatever insulin they place your son on. Make sure that they give you a prescription for the thinnest needle possible. Ask for syringes with 1/2 unit makings. Also make sure that there is someone you can call regularly for dosing input during the first weeks. Log everything on paper: blood sugar, food eaten, time and activity level. And finally ask for sick day instructions so that you have it and don't have to be frantic if your ds catches a stomach virus late on a Friday. And then go to Staples and buy a good sturdy binder. ;)

Good luck tomorrow.

20. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members