- advertisement -

What to expect at the Airport?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Bigbluefrog, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I haven't flown since 1987, so I imagine things are different now.:cwds:

I picture them checking her D bag and going...WHAT IS THAT!:eek::eek::eek: Needles, insulin, Lantus, Prep sites, pump supplies! Not to forget her brace with metal tabs on it setting off the alarm. And the pump can't be x-rayed.

Do you carry all your D supplies in your carry on bag? Juice?

I guess I am way over due for a vacation:eek:

Do you pack D supplies? How about food?

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I just flew to Hawaii and back, and really it wasn't THAT bad.

I carried both juice and water with me to Hawaii, and no one questioned me, however the security people wouldn't give me enough time to get everything OUT of my bag, and I got hassled a bit by another TSO because my stuff was "concealed", but it didn't really cause any extra problems other than them having to pull it out (there was nothing else in my bag, they were just trying to hurry the line along, and apparently I had been taking too long getting my shoes off and everything else situated). The only advice I have is to make sure you have any extra liquids out ahead of time, notify the screener BEFORE it hits the x-ray machine (just say "my child has diabetes and we have juice and water" or whatever you need to say).

Any extra liquids you take, or medications do NOT need to go in the quart size toiletry bag - I really got the impression they'd rather just have them loose in a bin... not in a bag.

Because of my pump (and not removing it), I got patted down (I'm pretty sure this is policy now, as of like june or july, because it contains a liquid), but I only had my bags searched at one security checkpoint - they will swab any electronic devices to make sure there are not explosives, but you should not expect to be hassled about syringes or anything else.

You don't need to remove her pump (if they ask you to remove it, just tell then you cannot), so it will not go through the x-ray machine. You can opt out of a full body scan if you happen to be at an airport that does those.. it really isn't a problem, just ask to be screened by hand.

I printed out the TSA website where it talked about diabetes supplies, and I had that on hand if I needed, but everything was fine.

Food is not a problem at all... don't worry about that.

If you let the gate attendents know before each flight that you have a child with special medical needs (you do NOT need to disclose what those are) you will be allowed to board early... on the way TO Hawaii I did that so that there was zero chance I would be seperated from my carry-on bag if it had to be gate checked, but when I flew home From Hawaii, because I'd been in an accident the day before and had a gigantic set of x-rays with me and I was pretty battered looking, they were extra accomodating.. they even had someone help me with my bags :) (I am okay, for the record, but when I flew I was VERY sore and very glad to have the extra assistance).

3. Bigbluefrog

Thanks for the heads up, sorry about your accident...heal quickly.

I think a case of juice is out? Is a bottle or two of liquids are okay?

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I pack D supplies in a separate bag and tell the first security person I encounter at the x-ray machine that my son has D, and that these are his supplies. They've never glanced at them. It's been a complete non-issue for us.

5. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

We've carried a couple of juice boxes and a bottled water on. It's more than the regulated amount of ounces but we put it all in a small backpack with the other D supplies and unzipped the top. They barely even glanced in the bag.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What she said, for both domestic and international travel.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4 oz juice boxes are often let through, but water, in our experience, never.

Pack glucose tabs and be prepared to buy water and juice on the other side, if need be.

If you're really stressed, tell the head flight attendant for your cabin that you're traveling with an insulin dependent child and that's possible that you may need extra water or juice - no biggie, they are usually very nice about it.

8. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We just travelled a week ago for the first time. I was nervous, but it was not a big deal. We had all of her D-stuff in two bags (her smaller purse to keep right on her, and her extra supplies to stuff under the seat in the plane). When we got to the point of going thru the metal detector we told them she was wearing a pump and we had diabetes supplies. Her pump did set off the metal detector, so they took her to a separate line where they very nicely wanded her, tested her pump (had her touch it and they tested her hands, she thought they were insane:)) and my husband followed thru with her D-bags. At one airport they took out the supplies (I had it in ziploc's inside the backpack to make sure they could see it all) and they examine it all. In the other airport they just screened it on the belt and didn't do any extra testing on it. We had one of the toddler juice boxes, and they did say that if it was any bigger that we wouldn't be able to bring it. On the advice of CWD families, we bought a bottle of juice after we went thru security. You want to make sure you take all of the D-supplies as carry-on's, don't check any, and don't check extra batteries either (they don't want those in your luggage). They were very nice to her, it only took an extra 5-10 minutes, and it was a good experience overall. We did get a letter from the endo stating that she was D and had to carry her supplies on her at all times, but we never showed it, just had it on hand in case someone questioned us.

9. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We've done both domestic and international travel since dx. I always carry a letter from the endo saying that all his supplies must go carry-on. As another poster said, I also print out the TSA page that specifically mentions diabetes.

I put all his supplies in one bag (other than his kit that he carries) and I tell the screeners ahead of time that I've got medical supplies in that bag. I've carried large amounts of insulin in small cooler bags with ice packs. I got hassled about the ice packs once, but he got overruled.:D

Just make sure to give yourself extra time to deal with any issues.

Most importantly, have a good vacation!:)

10. sarahspins

I had 4 of the small juice boxes and 2 bottles of water. I actually DID use the water to take some meds along the way so I was glad to have it.

11. Bigbluefrog

So normally you get one check in bag, but you packed two one for clothes and overnight stuff, and the other is just D supplies?

Does anyone have the link for the TSA page?

12. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

We traveled on United last month, from Philadelphia to Dulles and then onward to Ghana. I was pretty surprised that Alex's D supplies was rather a non-starter. Alex wore her pump, no problem, it didn't even set off the metal detector. I carried a ton of insulin in a red cooler bag and I used a Sharpie to mark on the bag that it was medical supplies -- insulin, and it just rolled through the x-ray machine, no problem. Alex's D stuff, insulin pens, meter, insets, etc., were in a special bag and they didn't even open it, I did have a small juice box at the bottom of her D stuff and it didn't raise an eyebrow. The D stuff that we carried over (donation stuff) was checked and that stuff was searched by TSA, but I had a letter inside each bag so it was intact when we got the bags back. We traveled on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend and traffic was light, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Hope it goes as smoothly for you. :)

ETA this is the TSA link

13. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

you get one carry on and one personal bag (purse, laptop, or other type bag)
    http://www.tsa.gov/

I have flown 3 times and haven't had problems in the US. You've already gotten great advice about what to pack. I just wanted to add that mitchell airport has a "medical" security line. My brother and I went through that line and it made things very simple and easy for us when we travelled for spring break last year. We just simply told them that I have medical needs. I took out my meds and supplies but they didn't examine them or ask about anything (not even the juice boxes or my pump). I usually turn my pump so only the clip is facing out of the pocket and pull my shirt over it so nobody even sees it. If the alarm goes off then explain is what the endo always told me and I always had a letter from them.

14. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

That's been my experience too. No problems except for an occasional request to take off my "pager". Since your daughter is older, I would recommend just bringing a non-liquid source of glucose such as tabs or skittles. It's an easy way to avoid the whole no liquids issue. Have a good trip!

15. sarahspins

It is also described on the hidden disabilities page that you ARE allowed a 3rd bag for medical supplies... but I didn't want to push my luck there :)

16. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I pack supplies in a seperate bag and let them know they are d supplies. I always have a letter of necessity from the endo but they have never asked for it. I also keep prescription labels just in case. I have taken small juice boxes through with no problem.
    The pump always sets off the alarm so they have to pull him to the side and check him. I have only had issues with the security at one airport. The rest have been very nice and make conversation with my son.
    Oh, I bring granola bars for snacks and fruit chews to treat lows.

17. tesa

tesa Approved members

We recently came back from a school trip to Washington DC. We had no problems with the airlines whatsoever. We had water, juice, syringes, PDM, insulin, crackers, etc. You name it we had it! All in a bag of my DD's, then I had things in my own purse for her, just to keep some things separate. I told security before we went through that my DD has T1 and no questions asked. She walked thru with her pod on and no alarm sounded. Everything was smooth sailing! You will be fine. Have fun!

Btw, I did have a note from our endo but did not even need to use it. Better safe than sorry!

18. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex flies all the time. I think you've gotten great advice here. Alex does not take water but he does take juice bottles sometimes. Some agents will question this and others will override them. The pump can go thru the metal detector but not thru the xray machine so keep it on. I think we've decided that he should not go in the full body scanner if asked to do so....but I can't remember if that is b/c of the pump and/or the cgms.

Oh, and EACH person gets to bring on one carryon plus one personal item (purse, laptop, back pack).

We've actually had more issues with other people getting thru TSA....younger ds got admonished for having his hands in his pockets...at age 7...going thru the metal detector. Grandpa got caught with a corkscrew in his carryon. Nephew had some sort of issue b/c his sweatshirt had uneven stitching on it (it wasn't symetrical). Younger ds had a video game in his backpack....that should have been put in a bin with the computer items. Fortunately these didn't all happen on the same trip! :D

Just keep telling yourself....We're on vacation!!!:D

19. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dd has the Ping also. She wears it with the clip. The clip seems to always set off the alarm. So she takes the clip off now before going thru security, just holds her pump or pockets it. (hates being stopped and wanded)

20. WiscoJim

WiscoJim Approved members

Same here - I travel from wisconsin to california once a month and have had no issues at all, just be up front with security about what you have in your bags.