- advertisement -

What to drink ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rusty, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

I was wondering what everyone does for carb free drink. We have been useing crystal light. Recently i have read that the aspertame that is in it may be bad. Now i know that water would be the best and i do give it often. I would like to find something else to try. Any ideas ?

2. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

We drink a lot of seltzer water (Poland Spring). It has zero everything and no sweetners at all.

3. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

On a daily basis, just water and milk here, with juice for lows.

Diet Coke is allowed as a treat every once in a while. A few times a month. Same with chocolate milk.

That's really it.

4. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

we drink a lot of Fruit 2 0 (flavored water) kenny likes the apple flavor, but it is hard to find.

5. Kris60

Kris60 Approved members

we love sprite zero and mainly propel. Propel has small carbs, but not enough to really make an impact.

6. CButler

CButler Approved members

Elizabeth likes the Kool Aid Jammers 10 with 2 carbs. I don't give them to her constantly-maybe once daily. Read the box carefully if you buy them because it looks similar to the regular Kool Aid Jammers that have more carbs.

7. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

We stay away from any artificial sweetener at our house. We drink water, milk, juice and gatoraid. We do allow regular coke or capri suns at birthday parties and such. We just bolus for them and have yet to have a problem.

8. etringali

etringali Approved members

Alex gets a "fruit Falls" drink for snack at school- 2c(thanks Andee!). At home it's generally water anytime and milk at meals. I have sugar free Kool-aid & crystal light, but that's mostly for me. The kids occasionally get a drink of it.

9. linda

linda Approved members

oh my CAPRI SUN:eek:before Em was dxd, "they" thought Em was viral and had us pouring tht stuff down her throat...she cant even LOOK at that sweet stuff in store without gagging:eek:

Em likes viatmin water, water, seltzer with flavors, there are a lot of lower sugar drinks now, diet ice T, she only has regular pop if low or sometimes out to eat,:)

10. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

Seltzer rules here. For a special treat, we add a slice of lemon or lime occasionally. We go through huge quantities of it.

Otherwise, Carina drinks milk and plain ordinary water.

She has fruit rather than juice (except for a low) because the fruit keeps her feeling full longer.

11. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I'm not a fan of artificial sweetners. Ava mostly drinks "bubbly water" {aka seltzer**, herbal tea, and recently we found these yummy drinks called Wateroos. They are flavored water in a juice box with no artificial color or sweetener. Basically seltzer with out the fizz.

Also, if you get the Kool Aide pouches without added sugar or artificial sweeter and you really water it down, it tastes abit like a less sweet gatoriade. Ava and I both like this. It's got artificial color though and some kids are sensitive to it.

Alternatively, on days that she's really active, I'll do a very watered down juice, about 4 carbs and build it into a meal.

He's about Ava's age. I found a juice box called "sensible sippers" They are half water, half juice, no sweetner. They are 7 carbs and one box is the PERFECT size to bring up a low bg without overshooting and getting a high later.

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Sams Club has some juice pouches called "Honest Kids" that have 9g of carbs each and are pretty good. No artificial sweeteners, colors, or otherwise. Jayden likes those a lot.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We never look for carb-free or reduced. We just give water with meals, milk in the morning and evening, and the occasional juice.

14. cilipu

cilipu Approved members

we have mostly water sparkling or non sparkling that are the choices Maxine is offered. Sometimes she can have mineral water with added lemon. That's without carbs and it tastes a bit different.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We drink water, milk, crystal light, something orchard juice (I can't think of the name of it.. part of their proceeds go to JDRF its 6 carbs per 8oz serving, and I water down ALL drinks (except milk) so she only gets 3 or so carbs from it..) for school she either gets cool aid jammers 10 or fruit falls.. I like the fruit falls better, not as much 'junk' in it.. just water and a bit of juice.. if we are out she gets light lemonade or diet coke.. she doesn't drink much diet coke though.. she doesn't like the 'bubbles':rolleyes:

16. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Water, G2, Powerade Zero, Koolaid Jammers 10, Roaring Waters, Milk are stables in our fridge. I will buy diet rootbeer, or Sierra Mist Free (with a splash of cranberry when in season:D) on occasion too.

17. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Diet Rite uses splenda instead of asparatame and is caffiene free.

18. usbornetheresa

usbornetheresa Approved members

Tori loves coffee! She always has. So she drink decaf as a "treat".