- advertisement -

What to do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mama2H, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Ok, what would YOU do? Short history, Hailey tried out for the AAU volleyball team at her school. The only two girls not accepted were her and another girl who just found out she has hashimotos and is seriously underweight (she is over 5 foot tall and weighs about 80 lbs). The coach told Hailey she was welcome to come to practices and has had her taking stats at the games. Hailey came home from a practice Tuesday and told me that the coach asked her to play in the last game since they won't have enough girls there to play. Would you let her? If she does it may help her chances for getting on the team next year. If she does not it may hurt her chances for next years team. I am angry that she was not selected in the first place because of the obvious selection (or exclusion however you want to look at it) but Hailey took it well and chose to go to practices, knowing she won't play, so she can improve her skills and be chosen for next years team. She was told she was not selected because she needed to improve her skills.

Do I let her play or make a trip to the local water park and have her tell her coach that it has been planned since before she was asked to play?

2. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Have her go for it and play. I know there must be alot of hurt feelings due to her not being selected, but here's her chance to show what she can do as a kid who just happens to have diabetes. Go Hailey!!!:D

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Have her go and play. You don't KNOW its from her Diabetes - perhaps he really does believe she needs to improve her skills. This game will help that. And I think it will be exciting for her.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

What does Hailey want? It seems she would go for it...so I would let her go.

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

She does want to do it but she is nervous. In practice they have had her practice serving and bumping but have never put her in the rotation so she has no clue how to rotate through and she says she can't serve. I know I do not KNOW that they didn't chose her due to D but it looks really really bad when they took every single other girl that tried out, including the girl who stands and stares at the bleachers in the middle of the game :rolleyes:

6. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I think this is a great oppurtunity. Let her play. She has shown grace and teamwork by sitting on the sidelines. This is a defining moment that shows no hard feeling, that you are willing to support what she wants ,which is to play volleyball.

((Hugs))

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

If she were my daughter, I would ask her what she wanted to do, then do that.:cwds:

8. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I think that Haley just showing up for the practice shows that she is interested in joinging, and learning. I believe that if Haley wants to play that last game, then she should. I also think the coach did the right thing by asking her, then to not ask. High hopes for all, for next year!

Its a shame that we didnt live closer. Chell loves volleyball! Wants to play but all the other medical gets in the way.

9. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Sounds like your daughter has talent, if the coach is asking her to play...and that is what she wants...I say go for it!

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If it were me, and my daughter WANTED to play, I"d let her play.. If she's never gone through rotation, they need to help her with that, is there a practice before the next game?? if not, I'm sure the girls will help her out..

if she wasn't selected because of the D, this is a chance to PROVE to them it CAN be done, that there is NO PROBLEMS with her playing.. they'lll never ever admit that its because of D, because then there is a HUGE problem..

if she wants to do it, let her go, let her show them that D is NOT going to hold her back
    :D

11. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I would let her pick. I think she should try it. Good luck and let us know how she does in the game..

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Thanks guys :eek: The bitter part of me wants to make other plans and let them lose the last game due to default but the "grown up" part of me wants to let her play :)

13. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I only read your first post, but I would let her play 100 %, here she can proof that she can do it!! She can show him, what a moron he was, to not pick her in the first place!!!:) Go Hailey, and kill it!!!!!!!:)

14. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

My two cents...
    Put your anger aside and let Hailey decide.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would let her play if she wants to. The other girls will be able to help her with rotation - it's the setter's job to confirm everyone is where they are supposed to be. Heck, I wasn't even a setter, and I spent half my time directing girls into their proper position.

Also, I would be careful telling Hailey that you think she wasn't chosen because of the diabetes. It may be the truth, but it may not be. You don't want her to blame every adverse situation in her life on D. :cwds:

You can tell her that I was on the "D" team my 8th grade year. Like the really, really sucky team. By high school I started on varsity, my junior year we came in second in state, and my senior year I was selected to play in the Iowa All-Star game. Many of the girls who are good at Hailey's age lose interest or are overtaken by late bloomers. I am living proof of that. :eek:

16. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I am very very careful to make sure not to mention D when she didn't make the volleyball team, only to my friends and dh. Same with cheerleading. When she says something I usually just say "lots of kids didn't make it you just need to work a bit harder" Hard to say when she is one of two though :rolleyes:

17. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I would let her play. In all truth, you do not know for sure if she was not chosen due to the diabtes. I know it is easy to assume that becuase we see how hard our children work for things (volleyball, baseball and such) but not everything boils down to diabetes. I wish sometimes it were as simple as that, parenting would be much easier if it were!

Anyway, the more she plays, the more she learns. It can only be a good thing.....as long as Hailey wants to.

18. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I hope she plays and kicks some butt!!!:D:D

It sounds like she took what was handed to her and made the best of it. She showed up to practices, worked as scorer...she showed the coach she's interested and willing to learn. Let her show him she can do it.

Sounds like you have a great girl there!! Be proud!

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

We actually had a similar situation where two girls where not chosen for the teams - but only becuase the teams were filled up. I honestly think that if the coach was scared about D - then he wouldn't have asked her to practice. Both of the non team girls were given the option to practice. One did and 1 didn't. The one that did got to play in a game or two and she did prove that she was better then some of the others. Alot of times, coaches pick older grade girls over lower ones to give them a chance before going to HS - that might of also played a part.

We all hope that it wasn't becuase of D - but even if it was, this is her chance to show the coach that D won't hold her back next year - and a positive attitude and eagerness to play will see her through the game!

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

If she wants to play, let her play. She's aware of what she needs to learn and I hope she feels comfortable asking the players and coach for help with that.

I would also make sure all the t's are crossed and i's are dotted. I believe with AAU, even to play only one game, she must be properly rostered. Wouldn't it be awful if she showed up to play only to be told she's not properly documented?

I have to admit, I believe with you that the selection processed was obviously tainted for medical reasons.