- advertisement -

what to do when dexcom loses connection ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Oct 28, 2015.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

someone on one of the " pay it forward " groups sold me a dexcom G4 unit . it works but the receiver looses the connection really easily if you walk away from the receiver to the washroom etc . even if I go in the bathtub and ithe receiver is a meter away it seems to lose the connection from the transmitter being submerged it goes to ??. the only way i have found to fix it is to stop sensor , and then start sensor again and wait the full amount of time .

does anyone have any tips ? can i do something besides stop sensor ----> stat sensor

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

If you come back to the receiver, and just wait a few minutes, or even longer, does the reading come back?

Our receiver rarely looses connection like you described above. If my daughter is far and out of range from the receiver, it does lose the readings. But when she comes back near it, and within a few minutes the readings will simply come back. We almost never had to stop and re-start the sensor during the 7 day period.

Have you called Dexcom? Maybe your receiver shoulder be replaced.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

That sounds more like a dying transmitter battery than a receiver problem.

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

our receiver does the same thing. If Ashleighgoes swimming we get ??? Dexcom says it's because the transmitter and receiver can't communicate under water. once Ashleigh gets out and the transmitter dries signal comes back. We also are limited on how far we get move the receiver away from Ashleigh. Her bedroom is upstairs, we can take it down the steps to the living room but that's it. And sometimes if we go to far into the living room we lose signal. i'd love to be able to keep the receiver in my room while she sleeps but it's not possible.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I agree I think the issue is with the transmitter , and the transmitter is dated over a year old . I just can't see the date right now . I am looking for dead one's as my BF is going to work on following the instructions to repair them and seal them back up with the sealant they use for aquariums .

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I can't get it to recover from the ???. it eventually goes to red martini glass if I try to wait it out. the only way to get it to recover is to stop sensor ---> start sensor .

it was an item purchased via paypal. I don't know its whole history , the lady said she got it originally as a pay it forward , but somehow rationalized that she wanted 600$ from me .

I will be calling Animas Canada at some point , that is who sells dexcom and accessories in Canada . I am told a transmitter costs 800$ .

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

I think the only way to resolve the issue is to get a new transmitter or new receiver or both. I have been dealing with ??? issues for the last 2 months and I have replaced the transmitter and now the receiver. Hoping this fixes the issue, but nothing else seemed to. If devices are in warranty, Dexcom will replace them right away if the issues continue.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Wait - so this person got it for free and then charged you $600? That's awful. :( Sadly, it sounds like you have a dying transmitter. That's what ours started doing right before we got the "Replace Transmitter" warning. You really don't have any recourse going through Paypal as it's technically illegal to sell/purchase items that require a prescription. If this was done through one of the "Pay It Forward" groups on FB, I would advise the group to steer clear of this woman as it seems as though she's getting things for free and then turning around and selling them. :(

9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

You might try building your own receiver. It's called an Xdrip and there are instructions on the CGM in the Cloud facebook group. We have one that we use during start up to see raw data. It fits in a tic-tac case.

http://stephenblackwasalreadytaken.github.io/xDrip/

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

yeah, I went back and searched and she was trying to acquire a new transmitter right before she sold me this one.
    I disputed it with paypal, in her reply she said that the receiver and transmitter were gifts , and that i was charged for the sensors . four sensors would cost me 235$ US .

She said she was selling it because her daughter got the upgrade, yet she was working on getting a new G4 transmitter just prior to selling