- advertisement -

What to do if your kid gets sick while your at a water park

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Temera, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Temera

Temera Approved members

I am taking my little girl to Holiday World in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anybody could give me a tip on what to look for if my baby gets sick. I know headaches are one symptom.... I am afraid she will be to busy playing and not tell me when she is sick.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Why would she be likely to get sick at a water park? :confused:

And is she really a baby?

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Do you mean if she gets sick or if she goes low?

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

How old is your child, can she communicate if she is high or low?
    Why are you anticipating that she will get sick? If you mean if she goes low, that is very different. However, going low does not in anyway mean your child is sick, it means she is having a symptom of low blood sugar.

If you are concerned with her going low, I would suggest stopping and testing every hour, and give 15g of uncovered snack if she is below a certain number.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm guessing the OP means sunstroke.

6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Hello Temera,

I remember from another post that you have a six year old daughter who was just diagnosed last week with diabetes. Is that correct?

What type of insulin do you give her? Are you giving her injections?

When my daughter was newly diagnosed and we were doing an activity that was new, I would check her blood sugar a little more often and keep both sugar (juice or glucose tablets) for treating lows and cool drinking water available (when her blood glucose is too high my daughter feels thirsty.)

There signs of high and low blood glucose can vary, but here is a very good handout on the symptoms of both high blood glucose
    http://connect.in.com/hypoglycemia-symptoms/photos-1-1-1-3127a5bee43975e7e6a01045be6d4e51.html
    and another on low blood glucose
    http://connect.in.com/hypoglycemia-...dc8d5bddb79122d1a6ec04e1101.html#image_button

(I found the charts online).
    At a water park children may be very be very active, which may cause blood sugar to drop.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. Kyra's Mom

Kyra's Mom Approved members

I just took my daughter to a water park for the first time since diagnosis last week. I checked her BG every hour and the park allowed for us to bring in snacks and drinks to help manage any lows. We did really well every time I checked her she was in the 80's and 90's so I just gave her a small juice or a go go applesauce and we were back playing in no time. I was really worried about the water park because Kyra loves the water and never wants to get out she also cannot tell me when she is feeling low or high. Good luck!

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You can see that we're all confused. That's because we never ever think of our children as "sick" because of D. If your child is newly dx'd, my best advice is to stop thinking of D management as managing sickness. If she's low or high you'll know because you are testing bs. Let her run a little higher and have sugar ready for her if she needs it. And have FUN!!! :)

9. Temera

Temera Approved members

:
    Thanx Kyra Thats a good idea. My little girl is newly diagnosed and was wondering how to handle a low bringing extra juice and snacks is a good idea. I will also pack my glucogan. Thanks again :)

10. Temera

Temera Approved members

Thank you mom, yes she is newly diagnosed last thursday. The website was good info ty very much.