- advertisement -

What to do if child is ill

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tiny, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Tiny

Tiny Approved members

My daughters doctor has not told me how I should handle it. And as long as there is no ketones they don't want to hear from me. Her pedatricain knows nothing about diabetes MaryJane is his first patient. So I need help with this. She said she had a headache so I gave her tylenol for her headache. She was stuffy so I put a vicks night light in and it put vapors in the air that helped. Any advice would be greatly helped. Tiny

2. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

When my son is getting sick his blood sugars tend to run higher...so we usually have to make some adjustments. Keep on checking for ketones when your child is sick, they can pop up even when blood sugars are perfect. But besides that, just treat the illness(cold, sore throat, headache) how you would with a normal child.
    Sometimes you can get sugar free cough syrup and cough drops.
    Hope that answers your question.
    Hope your child feels better soon

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Tiny~
    Always check for ketones when she uses the restroom, when she's not feeling well. You can't check enough for those darn things in my opinion. They creep up on you when you sometimes least expect it.

Some kids go low when they get sick, some go high. I would suggest an extra check at night, before you go to bed for example, and still do the 2 or 3am check also.

Treat her like you normally would- watch out for the extra sugar in medicine. Tylenol isn't bad.

4. DustinsDad

DustinsDad Approved members

Loss of appetite and throwing up would be a worry, but if that's not the case, then checking ketones and bs and pushing fluids (as usual) and treating symptoms is all one can do. Hope she feels better soon.

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Here's an resource that might help.

This is the 11th edition, Understanding Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, MD is a handbook for people who are living with diabetes.
    This is also known as the "Pink Panther Book".

http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/ud11.html

Chapter 16 is on Sick Day Management

Chapter 15 Ketones

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey Tiny, hope this works itself out soon. In the meantime, here's things to consider assuming BG stays in a reasonable range:
    - keep giving basal insulin as usual;
    - adjust bolus to her appetite, if she's eating less she'll need less insulin;
    - give lots to drink.

Often when fighting illness, BG starts rising and you want to correct for this (high BG weakens the body's defences and stimulates the illness) so call doctor/endo if BG is high (say over 200) and ask them for advice re how to correct;

Question for you - how is BG and does she have a fever?

7. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I agree with everything the previous posters have said. Just keep a close eye on it. How are her numbers?

This would truly concern me! These Endo's are here for US! It is their JOB to help us when we need it! Even if it just means reassurance that we are doing what we are suppose to :mad:

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I agree with what everyone else has said...In addition, there are some cold meds that have made Seth very high...I think the tylenol daytine was one of them, but not the night time:confused: My favorite cold medicine is Drixoral it works great and doesn't make Seth high. The last thing is that usually when they are sick, it makes them high (Not always) If it makes her high, and you give her more insulin...Watch for lows, when she gets better, she will have lows, I used to do the wait 2 days/look for patterns thing. But now, if Seth is sick, and I raised his insulin, when he has a low or 2, I just put it back to where it was before...This has saved a lot of frustration;) I hope this helped:cwds:

9. Tiny

Tiny Approved members

I have been checking ketones all is well.I have seen sugar free cough syrup. You would think they would come up with diabetic headache and fever medicine. Thank You for your help. Tiny

10. Tiny

Tiny Approved members

Trust me our endo told me that if I call and it is not a emergency she was going to charge me. Because if she had every parent call because there childs sugar is up or ill they would never get off the phone. Her pediatrician knows nothing about diabetes and when asked about if she is sick what do we do. His response call the endo doctor. Who doesn't want to be bothered. I had to call the office to find out what was a true emergency. The response was If she has ketones. Tiny

11. Tiny

Tiny Approved members

Her sugar seems to be high but i think because she is getting out of the honey moon peroid. But the endo doesn't care if her sugar is over 300 as long as there is no ketones. Tiny

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

It sounds to me like you need to find a different pedi Endo :( Grr his attitude stinks and you need more help available than that. I would go somewhere else!

13. 3js

3js Approved members

14. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Wow -- you have a rude, irresponsible, and terrible endo. It's the endo's JOB to answer your questions DAY OR NIGHT!! I've never ever heard of an endo saying this -- especially with a pediatric patient. Our endo gave us his pager number and we can call him 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and he personally will call us back. Many other endos have a nurse or other doctor on call after hours. You really need to find a different endo. And you're right, most pedis don't know anything about diabetes, so you really need an endo that doesn't treat you like that.

15. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Tiny,
    How's your daughter feeling????

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

Growl.. don't like your endo's attitude. 300 is too high, ketones or no, and levels like that need to be brought down. I echo others - if possible find a new endo. If not, you need to learn how to manage the D yourself. Don't leave her up there at 300..

17. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I would definitely find a new endo. What a bad attitude. Our endos encourage us to call for dosing changes on all sick days, whether ketones are present or not. If you can change, I would definitely get the ball rolling.

18. Tiny

Tiny Approved members

I would like to find a new endo but the insurance said we have to get along because she is the only ped endo we have. So I am stuck with the endo.Tiny