- advertisement -

What to do about high bg in T2

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by bgallini, Oct 1, 2008.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi,

My sil's mother has T2 and she apparently had a reading of 382 this afternoon. She didn't feel well. The grandson said she was sweating. She's not on insulin so I suggested she drink a lot of water. I also suggested maybe they test for ketones. But I admitted I really know nothing about T2. (Sil wasn't really calling for advice, just letting me know she might be late this afternoon.)

So, what's the appropriate thing to do in this situation? Is she at risk for DKA?

2. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

She definitely needs insulin to bring it down. Do you know what medications she is on. Anytime it is 300 and over she should head to the ER. Also make sure she does not exercise when it is that high or she could drive it higher. There is a condition called HHNS Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome which is seen in people with type 2 and can be deadly, but usually blood sugars are a lot higher than 300 and the person is dehydrated as well. I got close to it enough one time that I never want to get there again. Once is enough of a scare.