- advertisement -

What time do you feed your kids dinner?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WhyMyBabyGirl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

Here comes another question from me!

In another thread, someone said that Novolog last up to 5 or 6 hours.

That could be the reason that my dd is running low at night.

She has been eating pretty late now, being summer and all, and I'm just wondering if I should up her dinner a few hours earlier.

Thanks!

2. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

We eat dinner anytime between 5 & 7. I will test him 3 hours after his bolus is finished. Then again before I go to bed around midnight or 1 a.m.

3. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

Okay I'm the guilty party who said this. Okay, so say dinnertime for you is at 7 and bedtime is at 9, you test your DD and she's let's just say 200, she still has at least 2 hours for the insulin to be working. Let's say you change dinnertime to 5 and bedtime is still at 9, if her dinner I:C ratios or her insulin and carb goals aren't right you're still going to see a low regardless of what time you feed her. For "research" sake you could try giving her an earlier dinner and seeing where she is at least at the 4hr mark, if that bg is still in range try testing at the 5hr mark and 6hr mark to see if the novolog is still pulling the bg down. This is just what I would do.

4. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We eat dinner between 5-6, but usually closer to the 5 hour. Insulin lasts between 3-4 hours in our house.

5. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

We eat between 5 and 5:30.

--Sara

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It shouldn't matter what time you eat dinner. If your daughter is going low consistently after dinner, she needs less insulin at dinner.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

It really shouldn't matter when you give dinner, unless part of the problem is that the Novolog is peaking at the same time as the long-acting. Then you could either try to move dinner up and see how that works, or cut back on the Novolog. Is she on Lantus? If so, what time?

I got to the part in your other thread where you say she gets Lantus in the morning. What is her dinner I:C ratio? If she keeps running low every night after dinner, you need to lower the dinner dose.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I prefer that he eat supper by 6:00. The reason being that if we're going to have growth-spurt related BG issues, they usually happen between 10pm and 1am. So if all the dinner bolus is out of his system, I can "see" what is happening with his BG more clearly than if I have a supper bolus still working in there, mucking up what is actually happening.

But obviously sometimes life gets in the way and he eats later than that. It's not a big deal.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We eat between 5:30-6:00. Humolog lasts for 4 hours I didnt realize that novolog lasted much longer and actually when you get close to the 4 hour mark its not nearly as effective as when it peaks at 1-1 1/2 hours

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Novalog doesn't last any longer than Humalog in our experience. For us both are out of his system in 3.5 hours, unless it's an unusually large bolus.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

We almost always eat at 6PM. Novolog only lasts about 2 hours for me.