- advertisement -

What the heck is up with all the dx at age 4?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Jul 2, 2011.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son was dx at 4...been reading the posts of so many newcomers with 4 year olds and the responses from posters whose kids were dx at 4. I guess it's just coincidence...???:confused:

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I do that when I see 17 or 18 month olds! :p

If there is a trend for four year olds, personally I believe at least one of the triggers to be viral so I think four is when a lot of kids begin preschool, playgroups, lots of interaction with lots of little kids that don't quiiiiiiiiiiiiittttte get that whole wipe your nose thing yet. :p:D

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yeah, my son had JUST started preschool...but I'm sure he had it before he started because he had been pretty thirsty and peeing a lot for a couple of months.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven was 3 years and 4 months at diagnosis. I have often wondered if it had anything to do with the CWD starting pre-school or having older siblings in school where lots of viruses are floating around

5. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hayden was 4 too :(

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would love to see a poll here that lets you check what age of diagnosis. Would need to allow more than one choice for parents of more than 1 diabetic.

7. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Age Four Also

Ds was 4 almost turning 5 at dx. Had been in pre-school and just starting the first few weeks of K. Had a blistery type rash within the past few weeks that seemed viral in nature. Always have wondered if that was the "last straw" that tipped his pancreas over the edge.

8. Mom211

Mom211 Approved members

My dd was 4 when diagnosed, too.

9. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Adam was 4 as well!

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Would love that as well...but I have no idea how people make those polls!!:eek::confused:

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I will make a poll is you like:)

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hailey was four also. She was really sick at Christmas time and then she was diagnosed in January. :(

13. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

14. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

My little girl was 4 yrs and 2 1/2 months when diagnosed. I only started seeing signs of it about 3 weeks prior. So we avoided the whole PICU thing, Thank God!

15. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

The sad facts are that Type 1 D is not only on the rise, but average age of diagnosis is getting younger. :cwds:

16. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

it just makes me sick every time a new person comes on and posts about a new dx. :( When is it going to stop? i mean, it's bad enough my own little daughter has this, how many more kids aare going to get it? I'm just so mad that years into this, every couple of days another person is posting new to this awful game. I hate to welcome new members to our "club." I'm so sad that they're here. I'm so sad for them. :( :( :(

17. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

My oldest was 2 weeks before he turned 2, but my youngest was also 4 :(

18. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Interestingly, my DD just went to diabetes camp and one night they went around and everyone shared how old they were and how old they were at diagnosis. I asked if most of the kids were new to diabetes and she said that "lots of kids were 4 and 5" so even she noticed it.

She was the youngest diagnosis there, which is common in our world. We've never actually met a younger-at-diagnosis CWD and it's feels so uncommon...and then I come here and I always notice how many CWD here were younger than her! So, I never noticed a trend of 4 year olds but I always notice the people that kids less than two. I guess we all notice the people most similar to ourselves :)

19. Tyson'smom

Tyson'smom Approved members

Tyson was 4 when he was diagnosed - 2 months after starting preschool!

20. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I voted in the poll for Morgan first (age 4) and then couldn't vote again for Zoe (8) which would have put the stats at 20% in that age group! I was thinking that there were a lot of 8 y.o. and 4 y.o.!