- advertisement -

What should we have on hand before we start the G4

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Dec 6, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Sophie went live with her tslim yesterday. On the 13th we start the dexcom.
    What supplies should we have on hand before we start?Right now we have some IV Prep and opsite patches. We would like for sensors to stay in/on as long as they are reading well

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. wondertwins211

wondertwins211 Approved members

We use skin tac to make the Dex stay longer. We apply the skin tac directly to the adhesive of the dex and then let it dry a little bit....then apply to her body and do the insertion. Usually around day 6 or 7 we add some Opsite Flexifix around the outside (we cut a hole out of the center) and we can usually get at least two weeks per sensor. Good luck! It is such a game changer! Can't imagine D-life without it!! :)

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think what you have sounds good. My daughter reacted to Skin Tac, so we don't use that, but we just cut 4 strips of Opsite Flexifix from the roll and reinforced the dex adhesive all around from the start. She has infusion set adhesive issues and we have to tape them on, too - so I didn't want to chance it and leave the dex naked. Her first sensor lasted 2 weeks with no other reinforcement.

How's the t:slim going for you?

4. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

She adores the pump.Yesterday was her first day of no shots since dx and she was thrilled. At 2am I checked and corrected her without having to wake her up,which I lobed.
    So far we have had no problems and are loving pumping

5. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Remember alcohol wipes too - you need those to wipe off the transmitter every time before you install it on the sensor.

We use the opsite too, I put it on as soon as we put the sensor on to insure that it stays stuck on well.

Good luck - you're going to love it!!!

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I use a eyeliner stick to draw a little circle so that I can put the Skin-tac or IV-prep around it. You can't have any type of adhesive on the skin where the needle will go in, so this is a good guide.

We got a holder from Tallygear that my daughter likes to clip to her pants or her kit (we are past the pump pack stage now).

7. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Your favorite pillow, cause you will finally sleep....maybe not anymore than before......but, better sleep! Love it, like we all do!

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You don't need to wipe off the transmitter every time. I never once wiped mine off and it's still fine, and I've been using it for 11 months and 14 days.

Depending on where I've worn the sensors, I've sometimes used extra tape but usually not, even when I wear them for more than two weeks. I have not found that I needed anything beyond what they sent me (well, except my brain).

9. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

DS started with DEX4, we just LOVE it!

It made controls far easier, and helped to time better the insulin bolus injection before the meals to minimize the peaks.

We can predict rather well some mid-morning patterns and correct them in advance, or prevent lows when we see the curve going down.

Anyway, a couple of sensors started to unglue by day 5, so we applied over the sensor glue a Skin Tac Wipe ms407w (away from the hair), and it was a magic solution. The sensor will last glued forever, meaning, squeezing out of it a few extra days with no sign of the glue quitting.

If it doesn't produce to you any skin reaction (might want to try in an arm before using it with the DEX), start from scratch with the Skin Tac, it's truly impressive how well it works.