- advertisement -

What should i do?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Jordan, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

We've been fighting with our insurance company for months now about getting the OmniPod. They just aren't giving in about anything at all. =( Now ultimately the OmniPod would be my first choice for a pump, but I just don't think that it's going to happen. My parents are sick of fighting with them and I can understand, we can't switch insurance companies because this one is with my dad's work so we're stuck with them. I have a MiniMed pump at home, I wore it for about six or so months and wasn't getting the control that I had before..
    So my question is; what should I do.. should I keep fighting for the OmniPod or start back on the MM and try to make it work? I also would ultimately like to get the Dexcom 7+ CGM as well, and I think that we might be able to get the insurance company to pay for that instead of the OmniPod.
    I just would like to have the control that I had before I even started on the pump, while I'm on it. I had an A1C of 5.5 and my numbers were barely ever too high or too low.. but now my A1C is 7 and my numbers are out of whack and have been since I started on the MM which was almost a year ago. :confused: And then there's the fact that I despise having diabetes because of the shots 5+ times a day, some days i almost can not bring myself to stab myself with a needle even though I've been doing it for like eight years. If I had a pump that kept my numbers in control and kept my A1C consistently down, I would be thrilled, I think that it would take a load of stress off of my shoulders..

Now I'm sorry for that being so super long, but I need your opinions!

2. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

Jordan, is it possible something is wrong with your pump? like it's malfunctioning?
    j/w:)

3. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

hmmmm.....well, if I were you, I would go ahead and see if you can get the Dexcom first, if you think they will let you. That should hopefully give you some better control. Then move forward with the Omnipod, after you try out the cgms. Just my opinion. Hope it all works out. :)

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

!

Well, I first of all, I just want to say that I am sorry you had a rough go with the pump your first time around. But honestly, here is what I would do...

I would go ahead and go back on the MM for right now. I know this idea probablly doesn't appeal to you AT ALL because of your past pump experience, but here is why I'd do it;

If you go on it now, you can get all your settings down pat and correct, so then when you get the pod approved, it will be a MUCH easier switch to make than from mdi to pump. Also, if you do go from mdi to pump, your numbers are most likely going to suck for a while why you are figuring out all of your basal settings and all that good stuff. And I don't want you to be discouraged by crazy numbers again, and make you hate the pod too. :( Going back on the MM again is worth a try, ya know. If it doesn't work out, you can always go back. Mdi isn't going anywhere. I know in the begining it can be tough, but once you get everything set and find the right infusion set (that is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!) it gets so much better, and the control you can achieve is so worth it. It takes work though ya know, because pumps don't have brains- yet! :p

So, it is worth a try, in my opinion, to go back on the MM for now. It may be tough, but it might be well worth it. ANd, now you'll have all of us to help ya out, and vent to, and for support and all that great stuff!!

Oh, and don't stop fighting for the OmniPod. If that is really what you want, and think it will benefit your health, go for it. You deserve whatever will make your D care more convienent and better for you.

Malyssa

Sorry if I made you mad from my opinion or anything, or sounded crazy. And for rambling so much. :eek::eek:

5. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

If I were you, I would probably fight for the Decom and continue with the minimed. I personally think that would give you better control than to just use an Omnipod.

6. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

oh, one other thing. is the CGM you want to get the one that is going to be compatible(one remote for both devices;)) with the omnipod? something to look into..... :)

7. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

We initially thought that something was wrong with it, but then we sent it back to the manufacture and nothing was out of place or wrong.. So idk lol

I'm pretty sure that this is the route I am going to end up taking, I had a good long talk with my endo about everything today and that's what would look best for me right now. :)

8. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Well, I'm glad you talked to your endo and figured things out. Good luck, and definately keep us posted on how you do with it!! :)

9. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

Thanks!
    I go in on Wednesday to get hooked up :eek:
    but I don't have school, so at least I don't have to worry about it there for the first week!

10. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

oh and I was wondering if you guys could tell me some of the other types of infusion sets that work with MM?
    I used the quicksets when I started on MM, but would like to try some other types to see which I prefer!

11. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

If it seems like it isn't working, call MM and demand they replace it. I use the quickset 9mm . I started with the silhouette but had a lot of kinking problems. Here are all of there set options. I think a lot of the parents like the sure-t, but I have never tried them.

12. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

That was fast! And awesome! It's good that you won't have school, it will make life a lot easier, I think.

I used the Quicksets and Sils when I was on the MM. I never got to try a Sure-T, but I wanted to. They can't kink, so that is pretty cool, because it is one less thing you have to worry about.

Definately keep us posted!!!

13. here you are again

here you are again Approved members

is the mm the only pump that your dad's insurance covers? it seems like you and the mm just aren't meant to be, and it will probably be really hard to get the omnipod. maybe you could look at a different pump.

14. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

I just got it this time last year. They won't cover me getting any other pump again for quite some time. :eek:

15. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

I'M HOOKED UP !
    :D
    since this morning!
    My numbers have been running a little high, but i've been adjusting my basal rate and my numbers have been slowly coming down to normal.
    It was so nice to not have to inject while eating :D
    hehe i'm pretty excited!

16. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

That's awesome!! And so exciting! :D