- advertisement -

What percentage of lows do you tolerate

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, Jun 23, 2015.

1. kail

kail Approved members

I am wondering what percentage of lows do you tolerate (making the leap to assume we have some ability to control these). I know that there are many factors that will cause variance such as age of the child, where they are, what they are doing, hypo unawareness etc etc etc. that may make this hard to answer. I am thinking mostly of CGM users who see the entire day of numbers and the percentage that are high/low or in range. What percentage of lows or really lows are you ok with before you make significant changes that will raise their overall averages and probably increase highs but hopefully decrease lows.

I started think about this because DD4 has been running lower this week than typical. We have been getting things under better control overall lately and seeing a gradual decrease in our average numbers and standard deviation initially without an increase in lows. This past week or so though she has been flatter and lower than usual. For example she has been between 70-85 almost the entire last 18 hours which a few brief dips into 60's and one blip up to 100 with lunch. This is more extreme than it has been the rest of the week but I would say that we are averaging about 110 according to dex. I know it is really higher than this because there were stretches of time where dex was reading upper 60's but every time I checked her she was 75-85 and there were times when she did go low but dex lagged behind in noting recovery. As much as I love seeing her at 85-90 and steady (while closely supervised at home), I did notice the percentage of lows slowly creeping up on our dexcom website and it started me thinking about what tolerance for lows is appropriate when you are also trying to keep most of her numbers in range.

This all seemed to start at the time we decided to make war on our huge breakfast spike. I wonder if our changes helped and it smoothed out the rest of the day when we didn't start off with a mountainous high or perhaps whatever is making her low right now also helped us have success with the morning changes. We are seeing a late afternoon rise though now. Its like some kind of whack a mole. You manage to smack down a stubborn pattern of highs and then it bulges out somewhere else in your day. but thats another topic......

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Honestly I'm not sure what percent lows we get. I know your dd is younger and we did run my dd higher when she was little too but I don't consider it a true low till she is below60. Are you getting numbers below that?

3. kail

kail Approved members

Yes-most of our lows are 60-70 but we do see a sprinkling of lows below 60. She seems to have absolutely no awareness lately of feeling low. Sometimes I question if she is really that low since she will be running around/biking/swimming/etc like a maniac and I can barely hold her still long enough to see that she is 50 before she runs off again. Shouldn't she feel lousy? Anyway, I don't have access to our dexcom data right now to see what it says (knowing its not exactly accurate) but I think we are usually around 5% for overall lows on their data and out of that about 1% are less than 55. This past week we are up a little-maybe 2% of more significant lows and 7-8 total. I am completely guessing at those numbers right now. And I know for a fact that there were several hours the other night when dex thought she was low but I kept checking and the meter never read lower than 78 so I know those percentages are quite a bit off.

Also I am not so much looking for advice on if I should make adjustments right now but the fact that I was thinking about whether I needed to make changes and if so what changes, started me wondering what number/percentage of lows do other people tolerate when they are determining a target blood sugar to shoot for.

4. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

5% sounds acceptable to me!!! Ours was 8% at our visit last month, and our Endo found that to be just fine. Our daughter is just now starting to feel some lows, but like yours, it does not stop her from running around like a maniac!!! She is having way too much fun to be bothered (thank God for Dexcom!). If most of your daughter's numbers are in the 70 and up range, I wouldn't make any changes unless there were multiple instances of 60s and below every single day.

5. shannong

shannong Approved members

The Dexcom data says my son has lows 6% of the time, but only .05% are lows under 55. Our endo has always told us to keep lows at under 10% so I guess I have used that as a guide, but we are usually under that. My son feels his lows, so he usually catches them well before Dexcom does. I think for a 3 year old that can't verbalize their lows yet, 5% sounds pretty awesome.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Never really had a 'goal' for any number. I don't think the endo's ever brought it up. I thought the kids' numbers on the Dexcom reports were something like 12% or 15% or something so I went and looked - the range was set at 70 so I changed it to 60, which is really what we generally think of as low around here. The kids are 7% and 8% so I guess my comfort level is at least 8% :)

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

What's a "low"?

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Beep Beep Beep Ennngh Ennngh Ennngh

Silly

9. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Hahahaaaaa!!!!!! That is SO the 55 alarm sound lol. :D

10. dpr

dpr Approved members

I don't like to see my daughter below 65 more than 1-2 times a day. Less is obviously better. Without a CGM I would bring those numbers up 10-15 points and be really happy. Great job!

11. kail

kail Approved members

Agree! ingrained into my brain forever. But still a valid question.....I guess some would consider a low less than 70 while others might say less than 60 or ??? I suppose I consider anything below 70 low although I am not super bothered by the 60s. Certainly non D people will be in the 60's at times. I used to be more bothered by them but she used to also drop to the floor crying and saying she was hungry or come to me looking pale and listless. Now she runs around like a crazy person telling me she feels fine even when she is 45.

12. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

9% max. 5% would be great, but 9% is tolerable.

10%, time to change pump settings...

13. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I feel like I am the queen of lows (I was having around 3-4 lows a day right before finals week), and it is one of my goals this summer to reduce my frequency of them. I'm hoping I can reduce them to no more than 3-4 mild lows (60-69) and 1 major low (59 and below) per week. I test about 70 times per week, so that would come out to about 7% of my readings being below 70.