- advertisement -

What is your most special Thanksgiving dish?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by LJM, Nov 26, 2008.

1. LJM

LJM Approved members

What dish does your family make every year that no one can do without?

For us---it is creamed onions (they smell up the house all day).

I am thankful to you all for getting me through the past 9 months. Happy Thankgiving everyone.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Creamed onions here too! Though peeling them drives me a bit nuts:rolleyes:. But they're done, in the fridge, awaiting tomorrow:D

3. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Creamed onions - never heard of them...they must be good though!

Ours is apples, grapes and nuts mixed with mayo, sugar, and milk. Sounds so nasty but it's sooooooo good!

4. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

My little family doesn't like most of mine. Even though I am converting my daughter little by little.

When I was little most of our holiday's were spent with my mom's side of the family. I loved beets and the hard boiled eggs my grandma used to put in them. The green pistachio jello that was really just marshmallows, whipped cream, the jello mix and pineapples. Pumpkin pie. And card games we were always playing card games.

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

for us it's the two kinds of stuffing we have - we do a French meat stuffing which pork,hamburg and potatoes and you actually boil the hamburg it makes the weirdest smell but it's one of the smells that I equate with the holidays - we just came back from my parents house just to smell the smells...
    We also do my dad's stuffing which is a bread crumb stuffing - this really mushy, overly bells seasoned thing..but it's so good. No one else in the universe can stand it, but it's "our" stuffing. Even my husband likes it now. So for me, those are my two holiday foods that I couldn't be without.

oh wait, 3, chocolate cream pie.

6. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

My grandmother's recipe for Southern cornbread dressing..No matter where we go for Thanksgiving dinner everyone asks me to make my dressing :D

7. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

My husband HAS to have his Aunt Lola's cornbread stuffing. The first year I made if from scratch. Nope, not as good as Aunt Lola's. Next year I asked for her "special" recipe - YUP - Pepperidge Farm. Saved me alot of trouble.

8. LJM

LJM Approved members

Oh, Sarah: now you have made me feel like I am behind.:cwds: I am impressed you have the ready to go. They are always better a day old, so I think making them ahead is smart.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No, you're not behind:cwds:I just get nutty on Thanksgiving if I try to do too much on The Day:D
    How do you do yours?
    I boil for 1 minute
    Peel
    Poach in chicken broth, wine and a bay leaf
    Then make a roux, add poaching broth and heavy cream
    return onions to pan and heat through.

Is that like yours??

10. LJM

LJM Approved members

That is about exactly the same. Although my family has a tradition of crumbling saltines over the top (just for extra calories).

11. LJM

LJM Approved members

Off topic, just added my first avatar. Holly the sharpei mix (1 yr.)

12. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

My FIL's turkey. I used to hate Thanksgiving meals because the turkey was ALWAYS dry and took at least 3 glasses of milk to wash it down that is until I met my FIL. The way he does it is he chucks some garlic cloves, onion and some other herbs in the turkey along with a cup of white wine, puts it in an oven bag but other than a few holes from a fork the oven bag is sealed. The fork holes let excess pressure escape but otherwise forces the majority of the moisture to stay in the turkey. The moisture and flavor from the wine, garlic and onion etc... cooks through the turkey while the bag keeps the moisture from completely escaping with the end result being a moist and delicious turkey.

All other turkeys I ate before hand always had a long slit cut across the oven bag while cooking which simply allowed too much moisture to escape and dried out the turkey.

13. type?girl1018

type?girl1018 Approved members

Haha we do the French meat stuffing too! it does make a weird smell, but it would not be thanksgiving without it. i absolutely love it!!!

14. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

A broccoli casserole that is made with sour cream instead of cheese. It's not the traditional Ritz cracker and Cheez Whiz variety, but it's almost as easy! I can't not make it now. Even when I'm not making the whole meal, I am asked for the broccoli casserole.

15. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

ours is my moms scalloped corn....ohh man is it good!!!! everyone fights over them. Im not sure how she makes it, but I know its with creamed corn and whole kernal corn, lots of butter and crackers on the top...ohh YUMMO!!!