- advertisement -

What is the price of your strips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I did a thread on this a couple of days ago but I obviously worded it poorly since few of the answers were what I wanted to know.

Let me try again please?

How much is paid for your strips? If you pay cash and you pay $350 for 300 strips then the price paid would be 350/300 x 100 = $116/100 strips.

But if you paid $10 for 300 and your insurance company paid $340/300 strips then the price paid would be (10/300 x 100) + (340/300 x100) = $116/100 strips.

Please include the brand of strips and the store where they are purchased.

2. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

We pay in Canada for Accuchek strips approx. $70.00 for 100 strips.

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Checking my RX claims..

Total paid 6 days ago for 300 one-touch strips: $303.31, insurance paid $293.31, I paid $10.00.. so that's $101.10 for 100 strips.

However last month the total paid was $305.16 - the price paid by my insurance tends to fluctuate a little, but never more than about a dollar. The price paid for insulin (and my other Rx's) often varies by quite a lot more.

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You seem to be asking how much strips cost, is that right? Strips are about a dollar each. It's a simple matter of pricing them at CVS. I don't actually know what the blue strips that come with the MM pump meter cost retail (I pay $15 for a 3 month supply or 12 strips per day). But the MM site wants to charge 45 bucks for 50 strips, so that's 90 cents a piece for the one touch ultras.

https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/store/products/details/10-TSTRIP/HMS-020963

5. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

Okay if we're deducting the insurance then the cost to me is 0.

6. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

A box of 100 one touch ultra strips costs around $130 at Rite Aid. I have no idea what our insurance company's contracted price is since I presently cannot find an EOB.

7. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

I am not sure if I clearly understand what you are asking, but we have $0 co-pays on all diabetes supplies- pumps, infusions sets, IV prep, tape, strips, glucagon, and insulin and our insurance will purchase a new pump approx every 2 years with the appropriate letter of medical necessity.

8. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

We use the bayer contour USB and we get our strips at cvs. I know over the counter the strips run around $120 for a 100 count box. I think insurance pays around $100 per box and we have no copay. We also get 300 strips per month.

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

If I can extrapolate from the answers we got...

Then the over the counter price is about the same as the price the insurance company pays when they buy it for us.

I was looking to understand the different parts of the equation so we could decide if we were all getting a good deal whether we paid for strips in cash or through our premiums. It appears that we are. But if someone has a situation in which the insurance company is paying much more or much less than the over the counter price - let us know.

10. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I really don't know as we have no copay for DME which is what our meter, strips, pump and pump supplies are covered under. Same for insulin and syringes except they go under pharmacy. We only have to pay for ketone strips which aren't covered, not even urine strips which I find odd but don't complain about since everything else is covered. Oh and a small copay for the Glucagon kit.

However early in the game when I was having trouble getting more than 200 strips a month approved and we had to pay out of pocket for some they seemed to run about a buck a strip.

My insurance requires patients to use One Touch brand. However when Lia was dx they preferred the Contour brand and since she was already using that when they switched brands they let us keep using them and "grandfathered" her in so to speak.

11. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

what insurance do yall have? the co-pays are so high on ours, that its cheaper to go with the RelyOn at $20 for a box of 50.

does it actually go through prescription or is it major medical?

is there any out of pocket you have to meet first? for us it was about $500 before insurance would start to cover anything.

looking at these threads makes all this just seem too good to be true. I would have trouble getting 10 free strips a month, 200 would be absolutely out of the question!

my mom was just curious

12. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We get one touch ultra strips from Wal Mart pharmacy. They charge about $215 for 200 strips (2 boxes). So, just over a dollar per strip.

Hope this helps.