- advertisement -

What is the most touching thing someone has done for you since dx?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Seansmommy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Shortly after dx and Jacob was still on MDI, we had a very strict eating schedule. When I felt like we could handle outings, and especially go back to church, I was a little sad because we would have to leave the services before they would be over.

So while we were sitting there in church and I finally looked at my watch and told the family it was time to go. We discretely got up to leave, some ladies met us outside the Sanctuary and asked us what was wrong. When I explained that Jacob needed to eat and why, these sweet ladies said, "We were anticipating this, just give him to us, ya'll go back in and ejoy the services--when he is done we will send him back to ya'll." They then took him off to the kitchen and fed him lunch, and literally pushed us back into the Sanctuary.

This was simply amazing to us. There have been other instances through out the years, but this was our "first".

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

When I was in the hospital I was mostly alone. My family was mostly not there and what friends I've got are not close ones and could not be prevailed upon to visit me.
    An elderly couple from my folks' congregation whom I did not really know came to visit me and were there when I was allowed my first meal. I had an IV in each arm impeding the bending of my elbows and only by really contorting myself could I get the food to my mouth. There was an apple in my meal choices, and trying to bite in the apple was causing me a lot of pain. So this woman cut up my food and fed it to me.

3. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

wow - what great stories - I love being human.

For me, the most emotional touching thing that anyone had done was when my first child was diagnosed. Marcus was just under 3 years old. He attended a mothers-day-out program at our church, I also taught at the same school in an older class. Marcus was diagnosed on a Wednesday, when we got the diagnoses I made a few phone calls including one to my work. I told my co-teacher that Marcus was diagnosed with Type 1 and I would not be at work the next day and I didn't know when me or Marcus would be back. That day and night at the hospital were nuts. My husband stayed the night and I had to stay the night at my home with my two older kids. My parents would arrive the next day. Anyhow - I put my oldest two on the bus Thursday morning, took a shower, packed a few things for Marcus, made a couple calls and then headed to the hospital. On my way my husband called me. He was in tears. I thought OMG what happened with Marcus, but actrualy they were tears of joy. See, my husband is not a believer (that is he is not a Christian), which is fine. However, upon hearing the news of Marcus the pastor of my church/school took it upon himself to visit Marcus at the hospital. He didn't call me to tell me he was going - he just went. When he got there he introduced himself as Pastor Goodwill. My husband was scared - he thought "oh God the hospital is sending clergy to the room - somthing must be wrong." Then the pastor explained he was from my church and school. Pastor Goodwill sat and talked with Chad about Marcus, about me, about well anything - kids, weather, school. They just chatted, then the pastor hugged Chad and Marcus and left. The pastor touched my husbands heart - that is what I am most thankful for. My husband is still not a Christian - he still does not accept that Jesus is our King, but he is closer.
    I do want to just say that I don't judge anyone for their beliefs, and I don't clain to have all the answers - but it meant a lot for my husband to be so moved by a man that didn't know Chad and loves him anyway.

4. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

OK, this might seem trivial and it really isn't D related but it just happened yesterday and it meant something to me.
    Around 4:30pm I left the kids playing outside and ran to the grocery store which is right by our house to get some stuff for dinner. I couldn't have been gone 20 minutes. When I got home Jacob had a haircut! The neighbor woman in our attached twin home who is a beautician was just leaving for her job, when I left for the grocery store. She saw Jacob in the driveway and asked him if he wanted a haircut like his brother's. His brother used to be a shaggy dog but now has a short hip haircut that he gets him a lot of compliments. Now, she knows us pretty well and I'm sure she was pretty certain that I would be OK with it.

So anyway, she quickly gave him a haircut and then left for work. He was a handsome little man when I got home. How cool is that?:)

5. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Shortly after Reann was dx'd, my oldest dau picked up some info about the JDRF walk in our area. At that time it was entirely volunteers--no office or staff. I called the number that was listed and talked to this lady. She said she would have someone with a dau Reann's age call me. A few nights later when I got home from work, my hubby was on the phone and gave it to me right away. He had already been on the phone with this lady for half an hour. She talked to me for another hour--and it was all long distance. I've never forgotten how much Sue put me at ease that night.

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

My girlfriend, who is 79, and has just been diagnosed with cancer again, this time kidney, with the 2nd kidney only working 26%, just brought me an antique bone china tea service set from her parents estate in England, I couldn't belive it when she told me!(I know, not D related, but her nephew died from mis managed Type 1 40 years ago, so she looks out for me) It's a service for 6, I still can't believe she brought it from England for me!

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth's teacher brought him a stuffed animal and cards form all the kids in his class. About 4 days after dx'd. I brought Seth to school with me to pick up his brothers. His class came around the corner form PE and they all spontanously(sp?) chanting his name:eek::D It kinda freaked him out for a second, (LOL, he hid behind my leg) but I thought it was great for them to show him the love like that:D

8. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Okay, This is one I remember from the time I was diagnosed. I was in the hospital for 10 days. We had been training for a Girl Scout canoeing trip in the months up to diagnosis. I believe one of the trainings would have been while I was in the hospital. The rule was if you missed one you couldn't go. The FIRST thing my leader said to me when she came to visit me was. "You are more then welcome to come on the canoeing trip if you want to. I have already cleared that up for you." She had taken the initiative to clear it with council and also was not afraid to take a very newly diagnosed diabetic on a OVERNIGHT canoeing trip with her. I actually chose not to go. The leader tells me that I was lucky as the river was so low they ended up walking a lot of the trip. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of how this lady was to me.
    Wendy

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My MIL took time off work and flew from South Dakota to Virginia to take care of Alyssa while Charlie was in the hospital and for a few days after. It was a huge relief knowing that Alyssa was happy and being spoiled by grandma so we could focus on Charlie.
    My mom is unable to visit due to medical reasons so she would send little notes to Charlie telling him how proud she was of him for being so brave and put a dollar in so he could buy a hotwheels.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

It's not really a specific event, just the fact that a good friend of mine stayed a friend.:cwds: She went to visit us at the hospital and has been very supportive through it all.

11. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

This is a nice thread! Matt was diagnosed at 16 and went back into his regular routine so quickly (in the spring musical 2 weeks later) that I don't think people realized how overwhelmed we were. We were wrecks trying to make sure that he had what he needed on the NPH/Reg regimen. It was our busy time at preschool and everyone was caught up with the end-of-year school activities with their own kids. The kindness and understanding of everyone on CWD and the ADA forums got us through.

One of my co-teachers made a nice overture when we returned to school last fall. Her daughter started playing on the HS volleyball team and one of the other players has Type 1 D and MS. She had talked about D with this girl's mom during a practice and was told the first 6-12 months were the very difficult. My friend actually apologized to me for not being more understanding the previous spring about what we were going through. That really touched me because she started to get it.

12. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I was at the park one day, and stupid me didn't bring any snack and ran out of Fruit-To-Gos (what we use to bring up lows). Emma of course fell low and there was only one concession stand there and the lineup would have taken 30 minutes to get through. I asked somebody at the front of the line if I could cut in so that I could quickly buy something for my Diabetic daughter because she was low. The guy at the front of the line goes, she's Diabetic, she needs like sugar and stuff right? I was like yes. He was like, here, I bought a whole bunch of popcycles, you can have one. I was like, really!?! Here, let me pay you for that, he's like no no, go take care of your daughter. I don't think that I EVER felt so stupid and so grateful at the same time.

13. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

My daughter was in kindergarten last fall when diagnosed. Her kindergarten teacher was great. One day M was low, was out of her classroom juice boxes, and the teacher didn't realize she had glucose tablets in her monitor case. The teacher gave M half of her lunch (half a protein bar), and then wrote us a note letting us know the exact carb/protein count. It was such a sweet gesture.... after all, she could have gone to the cafeteria for a snack or called me at home.... and she just shrugged it off when I thanked her.

14. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

My friends just had a fundraiser for Ben yesterday. Old friends, family and members of the community showed up to raise money for our walk for JDRF. At one point, I had to walk away because I was a little overwhelmed.

Also, I think the other thing that ranks up there is that both of my close friends have taken the initiative to learn about d and can watch Ben and care for him. He had his first sleep-over since dx and they got up to check his sugar and texted me with the numbers :)

15. Seansmommy

Seansmommy Approved members

I am so glad you have all responded to this thread. Sometimes when things are not going so good it is great to read things that bring a smile to your face. It also make me think back and see all the things that were done for me at that time and have a chance to remember how lucky I am.
    When Sean went back to school he was their first and only d child. They really didn't get it at first and we had so many problems! Our wonderful endo arranged a meeting at the school with the principal, teacher, district health nurse, our CDE and she even attended! I have never heard of a endo going to a school and was and still am so touched. Btw they started to get it after that!

16. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Thank you for starting this thread...just what I needed today.

First, at DX and while Grant was in the hospital the many neighbors, friends and family who called Grant and visted him with games, books and knick knacks.

Second, this board and all the members who have helped me and posted replies to my threads.

Third, all the people in our lives who are kind enough to ask how Grant is doing and geniuely listen and care.

Fourth, all the people who donated over 6,000 to our first JDRF walk even though they are all facing tough economic times.

Fifth, the teacher's at Grant's school who called and emailed me with their kind words while he was in the hospital. One teacher had all the kids in the class sign a card for him.

Sixth, the 12 yearole boy at Grant's school (who is only a classmate and not a friend) who clipped out a 1x1 inch add out of the newspaper that advertised iodized water that "cured" diabetes. He gave it to Grant and told him when he saw it he wanted to give it to Grant to help him. Grant gave it to me even though he knew it would not help him. I still have that small ad and sometimes read it to remind myself that there are good kids in this world. I will keep it forever.

OK...now I am crying:eek:

17. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I think everyone here knows the story. I was dying to see Kenneth Branagh when he was in NYC in May. I had tickets, but no way to leave Yossi. I called everyone I could think of who knew anything about Diabetes. No one felt comfortable enough to watch him. I felt totally trapped! AP Mom from this forum stepped up and volunteered to watch him. It was for several hours, and the first time I left Yossi since diagnosis. I didn't worry at all, because I knew he was in experienced hands. I was able to enjoy a night I'll never forget.

18. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

The day Christian was dx'd I called my mom to tell her while she was at work. She left work, went home to pack, drove 260 miles from Las Vegas and was here before they had a bed ready for Christian at the hospital. She knew I needed her and was here instantly.:cwds:

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My mom dropped everything when we called her and told her what happened. She was here in 4 hours (that includes packing and driving!).

We have an annual lemonade stand for JDRF. A man read about it in our local paper and sent us a check. He has grandchildren who are twins and said our story touched him and he wanted to help.

The fact that our preschool welcomed us back with open arms and presented me with the 504 forms to fill out, and they walked me through it!

A teacher at the preschool who didn't have interaction with Abby said he wanted to train in D care because there may be a time that she or another child would need help.

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

At Coco's first slumber party away from home, a swimming party no less (evil, evil, evil swimming!), the mom got up at 2am and tested her and sat up with her for an hour reading to her and watching tv waiting for a low to come up...made me cry that day and it makes me cry today!