- advertisement -

What is the most touching thing someone has done for you since dx?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Seansmommy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Seansmommy

Seansmommy Approved members

I need some feel good stories.
    The most touching thing someone did for me after Seans dx was a family at my work donated 300 dollars to Seans jdrf walk. The husband Marvin is kind of not grumpy but kind of gruff. When I asked in awe why? He said cause your kid is cute and it is wrong that kids get it.

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth has had D for over 6 years, so how about the most recent? He's starting football on Monday. His coach lives two houses down so we sometimes end up at the same neighborhood parties. Last weekend we were at a B-day party when he let me know that he had gone to the Doc. and asked them about Seth's D and for some advise on how to make sure he's OK. He was told to give pleanty of breaks for drinking or testing if necc. And to make it a tean thing so that Seth wasn't singled out...Is that AWESOME that he was thinking about him or what?:D Thank goodness the Doc gave some good advise too. One of the other coaches has a daughter with type one, and another is an EMT.:cwds:

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Great idea Amanda:) After Steven was diagnosed a Mom of one of his classmates called me and said that she wanted to bring in treats for her daughter's birthday. She said that she wanted to make sure Steven could eat whatever she brought in. It made me teary eyed that she was so thoughtful about this. She has done this alot over the years and I always thank her for being so kind to my little guy.

4. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Shortly after dx, one of the mom's was bringing in treats to the class.I didn't know her and I didn't know about this until much later from a different mom. Ryan ended up sick that particular day and missed school. She had gotten sugar free cookies just for him. I thought that was really nice that she was trying to make sure he could participate (although we NEVER buy the sugar free stuff).

5. Noel

Noel Approved members

We have been at this a long time too.....so I am going with the most recent....my cousin bought Aidan 2 carb juice pouches for he son's b-day party. She also gave me all of the carb info for the food she served. I didn't tell her too, she just did it. She got him the juice because the other kids were having juice pouches and she wanted him to be able to have the same.

It is a little thing really but she thought of it and did it on her own. That is what made it so dang special!

6. Denise

Denise Approved members

Honestly? within the first few months of dx, Molly was invited to several sleepovers and play dates. I am VERY grateful to these parents that they are not scared to take on the responsibility of caring for Molly! (and for the record, yes, she went to those sleepovers..call me crazy but she had a great time!)

7. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I belong to a private message board of women who all had babies in the same birth month as Tony, been there since pregnancy. After Tony's diagnosis, tons of gifts and cards for him came in. I didn't know anyone in the state I lived in at the time so I felt very isolated and it just warmed my heart to know someone cared.
    Recently I met another mom who has a son with D. She wrote me a sweet email that her son prayed for Tony after they met and I thought that was so nice! Her son is 4 years older than Tony but he pays attention to him, most kids his age just ignore the "baby" and go on there way.

8. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

The thing that sticks out the absolute most, is,,,about a week after Trevor was dxd, I found this board. Everyone welcomed me with open arms, and had such good advice for me...you guys made me feel like everything was going to be ok in the most absolute worse time in my life. Christina (Caspi) sent me a bunch of books and literature.

THANK YOU!!!

9. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Wow. There have been so many.

Number one, Emma's pediatrician could have dismissed our concerns about diabetes in an apparently healthy 9 month old, but he didn't, and he has ALWAYS listened to us, and he always made sure the nurses listened to us when Emma was in the hospital. We miss you "Dr. Steve."

Our CVS pharmacy back in Lubbock was the absolute BEST. Tyson, Mason, and all the staff there jumped through all kinds of hoops for us, and above all, they just CARED about Emma and us.

10. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

There have been two occasions that immediately spring to mind.

About a yr after dx, a new bar/restaurant opened just down the road from where we live. The airforce base where Carl is stationed were given 4 double tickets to the grand opening - a cocktail evening. The base commander was told to give them to couples that he thought deserved a night out.
    We got one of the tickets because he was aware of how stressed we were and he felt we really needed some time for us. I know it is pathetic, but that meant the world to us.

The second occasion was just before last christmas. The airforce decided to pay for a pump for Tyler to help us out! It has been awesome to have some support, even if they will never understand how much we appreciate it!

11. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

My son gave me a bracelet for Mother's Day made of silver beads and his birthstone, and it said "Cure T1". One of my co-workers had one made for herself in honor of Reece:cwds:

12. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

The second day after I was diagnosed, while my parents had gone back to the house for things, the nurse educator came by and we talked for a while. She listened patiently while I bawled like a baby about how I was afraid I would never be able to have a family (stupid Steel Magnolias :mad:) and would die young from the diabetes complications. She explained how things really were, as opposed to what happens in the movies, and didn't try to lie to me or condescend to me at all, for which I'm still grateful.

13. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

My dad's work paid for Brandon to go to D camp this
    year..Plus,when he took in Brandon's thank you note,
    they said when he goes to pump they will help pay for
    it.I was so surprised because they don't know Brandon,
    or alot about D.

14. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Great idea for a thread.
    We've had lots of amazing gifts from friends. After diagnosis we had plenty of meals brought to us, phone calls and check ins etc and our friends and their kids have never once made Emily feel in any way different or "less" because of her diabetes which has probably been one of the best gifts we could ask for.

For specific examples, the dad of one of Em's best friends who is needle phobic asked Emily to test his blood sugar because he wanted to know how it felt to be her. After he told her she is amazingly brave and she carried that comment in her heart for weeks.

On Em's first year anniversary of diagnosis our best friends made her a necklace - each person in their family chose and placed a special bead on the necklace to represent something they admired about Emily and her body - how strong she was, how she uses her whole body to express her emotions so you always know when Em is happy and excited, how great she is at climbing trees. It makes me tear up still to think about that gift which Em often wears.

And most recently the kids did a pagent called Who wants to be a Hero at our UU congregation and instead of sharing Joys and Concerns people were asked to share a bit about their hero. Another great friend of ours said Emily was her hero because she tests and get shots and not only never complains (not exactly true :p) but she uses her diabetes as a bridge to connect with people and show them compassion (which is absolutely true). The other day
    Emily mentioned that during a tough day. I think the fact that someone she loves and admires sees her as a hero gives her such a strong sense of how powerful she is.

Diabetes is never something I would wish on anyone and yet it has given our family so many gifts we may never have known otherwise.

15. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

When Caleb was dx'd, it was New Year's Eve. We came home on on oldest son's birthday, Jan 3. Lots of folks at the hospital were so nice, they even sent a cake from the cafeteria home so we would have bday cake. But, the nicest thing happened when we got home. Some women from our church had come to our house while we were in the hospital and cleaned it from top to bottom. They also stocked the freezer with enough meals for two weeks. I couldn't be more appreciative or more grateful for them.

16. buggle

buggle Approved members

Our pharmacists have been really good too. The second day after dx, we went with our huge list of Rx's to the pharmacy and the pharmacist was so warm and sweet. She remembered us when we went back and always asked Brendan about whatever he'd said the time before.

A bit later, Brendan didn't want to eat his lunch at school and she was there (a parent at the school, which neither of us knew). She was watching another class, but she saw Brendan and recognized him and knew he had to finish his lunch and came over and talked him into eating. I thought that was pretty sweet.

17. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

While Kathy was in the hospital a woman from her school called me asking if she could visit her. I think it was our second day there. She brought in a bag full of homemade get well cards from practically the whole school. Plus, one of her classmates got her a Webkinz and a balloon. I thought that was really sweet. It gave us something to read while we were in the hospital and Kathy thought it was "so cool." :cool:

18. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Just recently Phillip had been having a lot of lows at school. We'd been adjusting basals back down after a cold, but obviously not fast enough. His teacher rang to see if there was anything she could do to help him with the lows. She was the first teacher in four years who even took any notice of the numbers.

19. LJM

LJM Approved members

DS's pediatrician calling to check on us after he sent us down to Children's Hospital. I honestly think he was totally devasted by the diagnosis as well and he has been doing this for years.

That, and a friend gave me a spa day pass to where she works; a really nice resort.

20. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

When Morgan was diagnosed, I was home from the hospital, trying to cope with our new life, and very sad and lost. I was exhausted from 2 nights up at the hospital, and trying to stave off pre-term labor. A complete stranger showed up at my door with a large bag of JDRF goodies and all kinds of things she new I would need. She was the neighbor of a good friend from church who had told her my daughter had just been dx'd. This wonderful lady, Judy, also had a daughter with D, and had been living this for 4 years at this point. She became my "go-to" person, and over the years, we have both helped each other out. I will never forget her telling me "I know you are overwhelmed, but your daughter will be OK, I promise". I believed her because she had lived it!
    When Zoe was diagnosed, I think everyone thought I was OK because I already "knew" what to do. People assumed I was OK because "at least you know how to handle it and know what to do already". I was more upset, and more depressed than I ever was with Morgan! I broke down at work one day and just couldn't stop crying...I was exhausted, and an emotional wreck. One of my friends from church showed up at my door a day later with 5 complete frozen meals and put them in my freezer. I felt guilty...I'd had a better night and both girls were doing well that day. My dear friend Kathleen said "you never know when you're going to have a bad night, a bad day, so here you go.... you don't have to think about dinner the next time". I was so touched and grateful. Those meals really came in handy over the next year!
    Kathleen's 8 y.o. daughter was diagnosed with a brain cancer 6 months later. Needless to say...lots of meals have been flowing her way now......and her daughter is doing great, she is fighting and winning!