- advertisement -

What is the most pocket-friendly meter for a young boy?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mph, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mph

mph Approved members

Nick is at the "bags are girly" stage.

He crams glucose in one pocket but needs a smaller meter/case that will fit into another pocket and still allow him to walk without the peg-leg look.;)

Any suggestions?

TIA

Of course he is willing to keep the "bag" in the car.......but doesn't care to tote it into the stores/restaurants/etc.

2. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

We have the mini one touch....maybe that would work..

3. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

My son uses a snack size plastic bag, fills it with a one touch mini, swabs, lancer & lancets and a few test strips (we use a tiny plastic vial that was once used for homeopathic medication). It fits pretty well in the pocket of most shorts & pants. The plastic bag doesn't last that long, though, so we just switch it out as needed. I have tried to get him to use a fabric pouch of some sort but he refuses-not a battle that I need to fight as long as he takes his stuff with him!

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I loved the Precision Extra. Nice and small enough to fit into an IPOD case.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would take the meter, strips and pricker out of the case and stick them in the pockets. My son loved the mini meter in his pockets.

6. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Noah currently uses the accucheck compact. It has the strips loaded, the lancet attached so all he is supposed to remember is the meter and alcohol wipes.. it is the wipes he usually forgets. He also has been looking at that walgreens on that has the meter on top of the strip case. But I don't know how much the strips are.

7. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

The Bayer Contour USB meter is small. My daughter says it's "cooler" looking than other meters so that factor may appeal to him as well;).

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

The One-touch mini is pretty small and you can shove a tube of glucose tablets in the pocket.

What kind of bag is he using? My son carries a sling bag (has about 8 of them)...it is the kind of bag you see half the boys carrying around with them when they are riding bikes or just out and about town. (I often wonder what the other boys are carrying in their bags besides their cell phones;))

9. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Freestyle Flash is our backup. Ds thinks it's pretty nifty and small, and he's had the OneTouch and Contour USB in the past.

ALso, have seen at Walgreens those test strips containers with the meter as the lid of the container. Those look very compact!

10. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

There are a few that have been mentioned.

1. Sidekick available at Walgreens
    2. One Touch mini
    3. Freestyle Lite

My DD likes the Accu-chek Compact plus. It's a brick, but it's just one thing to grab, and it contains 17 strips in each drum. She disliked fumbling with strips and a pok.er.

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I don't think its the meters that cause the bulk, its the strips. Maybe the Precision Extra with a few of the foil wrapped strips would be less bulky?

12. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son carries a one touch mini, bottle of one touch strips, delica poker (which is smaller), and two rolls of smarties (sometimes he uses a small pack of skittles) in his pockets. The glucose tabs in the small roll are too big now. :rolleyes: He only changes the lancet once a day so he doesn't ever bring extras with him.

This is what he does when he is running around with friends or in the neighborhood. He has more supplies at school and does have a "d" bag to take if he is spending a lot of time at a friends that I am sure just gets thrown in the corner.

We just switched to this bag that I got at target http://www.target.com/p/Swiss-Gear-Messenger-Bag-Grey/-/A-13273308 prior to that we used a staiwell bag which I loved but it is not "cool" looking and has finally worn out after four years.