- advertisement -

What is the difference in levemir and Lantus?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have a friend whose 4 year old was just diagnosed. The hospital put him on levemir and Novolog. Just wondering what the difference in levemir is. We have never used Lantus or levemir , but I remember reading here people changing dose from night to day and splitting doses.

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

J was on Levemir. I've been told it stings less than Lantus, but it's more likely to need the dose to be split. We did have to split his dose. It doesn't seem to have quite as long a duration as Lantus.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Levemir is designed to be split though you can split lantus as well. I think(??) Levemir is supposed to have less of a peak. I also recall reading somewhere that one usually requires more insulin with Levemir. None of these things make one better or worse than the other. Basically two long acting basal insulins only they work slightly differently.

4. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

My daughter only ever used Lantus, so we have no experience with Levemir. However, Lantus and Levemir do NOT have the same absorption profile. Lantus has a very consistent 24 hour duration. Take a look at this graph:
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme...7a0c-7e14-4756-9152-9fea485d654a#section-11.2
    and see how flat it is from 5 to 24 hours. (solid line is Lantus).

On the other hand, take a look at the same graph for Levemir:
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme...65c1-25bf-401d-9c7e-a2c3222da8af#section-11.2
    and see the drop off from 16-24 hours. (dotted lines are Levemir)

The two are not the same. Some people may like one rather than the other for all kinds of reasons, but they don't have the same curve, and are not interchangeable.

Joshua Levy

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

That is why Levemir is a twice daily insulin. They are not directly interchangeable -- I wouldn't use my friend's Levemir if I didn't have my lantus (or vice versa) like I might do with humalog and novolog. If I were switching from say lantus to Levemir I would take my lantus dose, give half that amount of Levemir in the Am and half in the PM and then expect some tweaking.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Dd started on Lantus. It did last longer than Levemir, but it stung. She had far fewer lows with Levemir.