- advertisement -

what is the best way to keep pump secure during sports

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by cpmms, Mar 3, 2008.

1. cpmms

cpmms Approved members

My daughter plays softball and we wanted to know how others hold and protected their pump during sports. She wants it to be hidden as much as possible. She now wears her pump with the clip on her waist or in her pocket. I am afraid it is not protected enough. Any ideas?

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

We have this custom made pump holder - it is made of a wide(at least 4 inches ) piece of elastic that wraps around her trunk and is done up with velcro. attached to the elastic is a neoprene pouch which velcros shut and snugly holds the pump and protects it. SHe will wear this on the inside of her clothes( or on the inside of her ski suit) etc.A friend made it ( no pattern - just used measurements)My daugher says itis very comfortable

3. kkuncl

kkuncl Approved members

My son plays baseball (m)

When he is in the field he uses his clip and wears his pump on the waist of his pants. When he is batting/running bases he takes it off (hangs it on the fence) so that he doesn't have to worry about sliding. When he comes back to the dugout he puts it back on. He tests every other inning or so. These pumps are made of motorcycle helmet. They are pretty durable!!

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

My son has a pouch very similar to what skimom describes but we got it from Minimed. She could wear it in any position on her stomach/back/side. There are also many types of other pouches and clothes made to hold pumps. I don't know any of the companies names though but if you do a google search you might find some or ask on the parents of type 1 board and someone will have links for you.

BTW my son wears it during soccer and rugby so I can say the pouch is very secure and discreet.

Barbie

5. Mindy and Tim

Mindy and Tim Approved members

I struggled to find something for my son who plays little league. Finally, at the website uniaccs.com, they had something that works out pretty good for us. I can't remember the exact name of it, but it was a tamper proof pouch on a belt. I think it's first goal is to prevent toddlers from accessing their pump, but it also suggests that it is for others that "like to play rough". It's got a clear plexiglass (I guess that's what it is) piece that you can put inside it that could protect it some from a hit with a ball. He wears that under his shirt, and wears it around on his back. So far, so good. Minimed makes a hard case, but it only fits the 522, so depending on the size and make of your pump, you might be able to use that. Good luck!

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

7. soulsfr

soulsfr Approved members

found a company-called zoombang. they are located on east coast and they are sewing a pump pocket into his sliding shorts for free! jeff is the sales rep-i recommend calling them to discuss your specific needs.

8. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Hailey uses the spibelt for softball and volleyball. Works great! When she is fielding she wears it where ever and when she is batting and may slide she moves it around to her middle lower back. We just make sure her tubing stays tucked in and her best friend double checks the tubing before she goes up for bat.

9. Momto4

Momto4 Approved members

We just disconnect. 99% of the time she is in range or a little low and has to drink Gatorade. The other 1% of the time when she runs high she reconnects, does a quick bolus and then disconnects. It's always worked for us.

10. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello cpmms:

I had a pump a long time ago, in the last CENTURY as my kids sooooo love to say :D and this was one of the issues for me (as an adult) as well. The activity has all kinds of intense physical contact. Eventually it became one of the deal breakers

Basicly you are looking for a "money belt" in which to stick her pump. Or a really small fanny pack. IF she's got the longer tubing you can place it almost anywhere depending on the area(s) of likely impact/contact...

Should be very painless... and pretty simple and very cheap too

11. type1rider

type1rider Approved members

When I am cycling I literally just drop the pump in my jersey pocket. No case, no cover, no problems. :)

My Navigator CGM on the other hand takes a more "creative" solution. I usually wrap it up in a cloth or something, and then enclose it in a zip lock bag. Then I drop it in another jersey pocket, or the radio pocket. Just trying to prevent scratches and water damage, while still allowing for rapid use when I want to see how I am doing.

Crashing with these items, I usually find myself using my body to shield any of these more "important" items. LOL!

12. geekguyandy

geekguyandy Approved members

same here

type1rider, I do similar. The pump just goes in a jersey pocket. Dexcom goes in the pocket closest to the sensor. I never keep either in a case or bag though. If it's raining/snowing, the pump is waterproof so I don't need to worry about that, and the Dexcom will just go in my jacket pocket which stays dry.

I started making a handlebar mount for the Dexcom, so that it would rest between the aerobars. But I didn't finish it yet, and it wasn't working the way I wanted. I need to mold some plastic and then it would be perfect.

13. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello cpmms:

Got an email newsletter from a diabetes pump wear company a couple days ago (apparently my email filter missed it :mad:) but looks like an option if you've found nothing you liked so far...

www.pumpwear.com

Even catching a line drive dead square in the pump shouldn't cause much/any damage. They are made of serious NASA polymers. As for her sliding causing her problems, I'd think some kind of neoprene sleeve (ie soft knee brace material) should work perfectly depending on where she wants to put hers...

Tubing getting tugged, thats a design flaw, but unlikely it'll pull out entirely, unless it were a serious body-bowling type of a slide.

14. millyyates

millyyates Approved members

Disconnect

Milly does a little untethered when playing sport and training. Put in an estimate on the basal for a couple of hours and take the pump off. She often will just slide it along the floor to mum or dad if she's left it on by mistake. Generally she needs about 15grams of carbs per hour for training/playing.

In big games when the anxiety/adrenaline levels are up just test and stick a bit more insulin in. Its become a bit of a gut feel thing through experience.

15. NHL-go-pens

NHL-go-pens Approved members

Spibelt is great. I wear it in basketball and bicycling