- advertisement -

What Is The Best Thing To Treat Lows

Discussion in 'Teens' started by insulinfreak, Mar 2, 2006.

1. SamsMom

SamsMom Approved members

You guys are awesome!

Thanks y'all for the help. I am just trying to figure it all out since he was just diagnosed in July. I am sure you all can relate to this--Sam doesn't want to look obvious and rattle candy bags and wrappers in class (he will be a sophomore) so I am trying to think of the best thing for him to put in his backpack to treat a low at school. I like the Reese's idea because of the protein. Are any of you in sports and if so, maybe you can share your experiences with lows during sports events. Thanks!!!

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

For almost any sport I would say have a gatorade and all the basic supplies if you know he goes low. I play soccer so we have a half-time snack after testing ( usually low) and then one at the end which is good enough to keep my bg up. But the most important thing during lows is to be able to tell the coach so your pulled out of the game for a short amount of time.

3. SamsMom

SamsMom Approved members

Thanks MissCait

Sam goes low also but usually about 2 hours after tennis. The endo said for him to have 15g carb for every 1/2 hour of exercise. It is hard to pull him out of a tennis match so we are going to do our best to keep the numbers up. What is the highest bs level you will play with? And the lowest? I did have a nurse tell him that he could sip on a small gatorade while he played. How's soccer going for you? Have you been okay managing your bs?

4. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Well this season my mom and I decided to sit out because I getting my pump in the beginning of next month and that would require me to sit out for 2 or more weeks so I just going to continue with sports in the spring after i'm used to it, but to answer your question, the highest I've ever played with even though I know I shouldn't havee was probably 320. Lowest that I will start playing a sport is 120.

5. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

Yeah, i is not a good idea to start playing a sport or being really active if you are low. that could lead to seizures and comas (ive been there). if you know that he is going to go low it might be a good idea to give hime maybe a gatorade or something withought insulin before the game or practice.

6. wiccanshadows89

wiccanshadows89 Approved members

i drink dr pepper

7. Dylan

Dylan Approved members

I like to use those fruit punch flavored glucose tablets and 4 fluid ounces of apple juice works really well to.

8. [K]-arla-

[K]-arla- New Member

I was told a half a glass of real coke or orange juice is the easiest and fastest way to treat lows

9. Laurie

Laurie Approved members

My favorite thing to treat lows with is chocolate, But if it is below 60 I treat it with juice or glucose tabs.

10. Dylan

Dylan Approved members

Sorry I posted under my moms name

11. skimom

skimom Approved members

Try Rockets (those rolls of halloween candy - 2 rolls is fifteen carbs - plus way cheaper .) Follow up with 1/2 pb sandwich and a glass of milk once BG is back in range.For exercise, either reduce insulin (basal and bolus)or nibble. Be sure your sugar is at least 10mmol/l before starting(I'm in Canada) or else have a snack to eat before exercise. TEST LOTS and learn to figure out what yur body does.