- advertisement -

What Is The Best Thing To Treat Lows

Discussion in 'Teens' started by insulinfreak, Mar 2, 2006.

1. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

I have decided I prefer 50% Dextrose IV (D50W) to treat lows. It will take you from 20 to 200 in about a minute, and your symptoms instantly disappear. Just kidding.....

BTW...I also have the strange ability to function fairly well at extremely dangerously low glucose levels (20's-10's-SINGLE DIGITS greater than 6)

2. limelover62

limelover62 Approved members

Hey by the way u live in Virginia Beach? I live in Williamsburg

3. butterflygal291

butterflygal291 Approved members

i use orange glucose tablets

4. Kristen

Kristen Approved members

I use Jelly Beans!! Lala Lora... wher are you?? Like What country?? Im in Nwe Zealand

5. MLH

MLH Approved members

treating lows

I like to treat with milk. My daughter is sick of it. I am going to look for the fruit punch tabs. Thanks!:D

6. Kristen

Kristen Approved members

I would be sick of Milk too!!! no taste!!

7. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Chocolate milk works well for me, but i HATE milk so i only do that during soccer when i'm dying to play. Or if I'm really low at school then my friends find a teacher and get me choc milk and force me to drink it!

8. gobbly2100

gobbly2100 Approved members

I love to have jelly beans :)

9. PetGirl

PetGirl New Member

I use sugar cubes. My friends pig out on them so I guess they go "low" too.lol. Most of the time, I'll eat whatever I see so ya

10. Nana

Nana Approved members

I usually eat some chocolate :D I know, it slows down the sugar because of the fat, but I don't have any problems. Sugar rises just the same. :p However, if my blood sugar is below 2,5 mmol/l (I think that is around 45mg/dl), then I just melt some sugar in the water and drink it. :)

11. tylerbetic

tylerbetic Approved members

to treat a low I use jelly beans,they're really good

12. pump_away

pump_away New Member

same here

Hey im pump_away and when i was low i would always love drinking coke, cause i could never have it unless i was low. But sinch i got on the pump i can drink if i want. :p

13. pump_away

pump_away New Member

same here

hey i would always love too eat candy if i was low, cause i couldn't have it all the time. You might want to drink coke or fruit punch if your low instead of candy.;)

14. divabetic429

divabetic429 Approved members

Ewww! I hate glucose tablets. I usually either drink juice or eat like 2 cookies.

15. AffableDavid

AffableDavid New Member

Junior Juice =P

16. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

I have always been told that juice is. that is what i like. when you are so low you can not chew on candy juice is a good idea. i have never liked the taste of the tablets. I drink diet mountain dew ALLL the time, therefor regular coke taste nasty!! I do have a pump but i figure, if i am already used to diets, why change back?

17. NickJonaslover8

NickJonaslover8 New Member

Treating lows

I think to treat a low you should have a glass of orange juice but definetly not anything breaded. Breaded items just go through your system to fast and it won't help much.

18. SamsMom

SamsMom Approved members

Hey Guys--a question for you.

When you treat your lows with starburst or skittles can you tell me about how many you have? Do you have 3-4 or more starbursts? How much of a small bag of skittles do you eat?

My teen son has not yet treated a low with starburst or skittles but he plans to have some on hand when school starts.

Thanks for your help!

19. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

starbursts or skittles

Hey, i do not know the exact carbs info for either of these kinds of candies. but, i do know that no matter how low you are supposed to eat 15 carbs then check blood sugar again in 15 minutes. so i would sugest looking on the back of the box/bag and give him 15 carbs worth. i hope this answers your question!

20. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

For a regular pack of skittles it is 56 carbs so a little less than half of the bag and each starburst are 3 carbs

I personally don't use those I eat peanut butter reese cups because they have 23 carbs and they cover the protein.