- advertisement -

What is Normal BG Level?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by Sterling1, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Sterling1

Sterling1 Approved members

Ok call me paranoid...what are the normal ranges for adults (40ish:eek: )? Today I started feeling funny /shaky not well...it dawned on me this is exactly how my daughter feels when shes low.
    I have had bouts of feeling like this for years.(Dr.s find nothing wrong) Now I am thinking I should start checking BG when I feel this way. Of course checking does me no good because I don't have a clue what normal levels are.
    Thanks for any help,
    Diane

2. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

it varies depending on who you ask on average i would say 80-120 but some say 70 is ok and i have heard up to 140 ...depending on if it was fasting ect.. i would go with 80-120 ...anything over 140 could be pre d and below 80 could be hypoglycemic

3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Approved members

Thanks! Well I guess this is exactly what my problem has been for all these years!

I had eaten a sausage pancake and coffee with milk and sugar. An hour and a half later I was at 62. It is now almost lunch time and I'm still shaky.:(

All these years and Dr.s and this is my problem...geeze.

Well, I'm gonna eat then check again...Now I guess I have to Google Hypoglycemia. I know nothing about it. Crud.

THANK YOU so much for the help,
    Diane

4. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

I just had my labwork done and my fasting was 105 which they deemed as borderline high! They are looking for a fasting bg of between 70-99! I was told not to each anything after midnight...which i didn't eat anything past really 9pm the night before and I made sure not the have pasta or anything heavy. I had some roast chicken the night before. So with that said, the doctors are not giving much wiggle room for determining onset of T2. : (

5. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

You can say that again! I have just been given a T2 diagnosis and must begin taking Metformin twice a day. My fasting BG was 122 and my A1C is 7.9. I'm not sure if my doc is jumping the gun here or what. Didn't even want me to check myself at home or keep a log. Just to come back in 3 mos. for another blood test to see if A1C comes down.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Actually it is the post meal numbers that will go high first and not the fasting numbers. The thing is that you might want to test before and after meals for a while and see when your post meal spike occurs and how high it goes depending on what you eatl. Your a1c of 7.9 definitely says diabetes as they are now using the a1c as a diagnostic tool. You could always ask for an OGTT to see what happens.

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Ask for an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) to check for reactive hypoglycemia. It could be that you are spiking due to the carbs and then dropping low as your pancreas spits out the delayed insulin and too much of it too boot.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Most parents would find those ranges a little tough to maintain for a Type 1.

I have 95 set as the goal for my son with the hopes he will be between 60 and 150. Our tools are a pump and testing 7 times a day.

Normal (or what he experieces) is 40 to 200.

P.S. Lizadilday -- would you introduce yourself? I don't know if you are living with diabetes or if you have a child with diabetes.

9. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

My doctor didn't dx T2 until my a1c hit 7. My fastings crept up to 140-140 (had been 120ish for years with normal a1c-under 6). I have been on Metformin since Feb and my first a1c after (June) had gone down to 6.1/fasting 123. My fastings have been high for YEARS and no one could figure out why. I'm 46 now. I had kids at 36 and 39, gest D with both. second child really messed up my metabolism LOL ironically (or not?????) He is hte one with T1.
    Good luck!!, I know there are special issues with people who go low like you.