- advertisement -

what is high

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof1, Jul 26, 2009.

1. momof1

momof1 Approved members

our endo says target range is 80-150. in my opinion dd should be under 150 as much as possible. am i wrong? my husband and i disagree all the time on what is high. if she is over 150 but under 200 i consider this a little high but not scary. if she is over 200 i consider this high because our sliding scale is used at 200. she was 238 at lunch and this bothered me and dh says i over react. i didn't add units because she is very sensitive to the insulin but i still thought it was high. what do you consider high.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I consider anything over 140 to be high, and correct for it. I am also quite insulin sensitive (for my age), 1 unit drops me 110 points, so when I was on shots, I didn't correct until 200s. I don't panic until I'm over 350, though. Just treat. I test ketones when I'm over 300.

3. momof1

momof1 Approved members

i don't panic but if i say thats a little high he says don't tell her that thats not high

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

When I say panic, I don't mean really freak out. I just mean, that's the level I start to really worry about getting it down FAST, and test half hourly until it's down. I can see that you weren't panicking, and I think your reaction to a 238 was reasonable.

5. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Joey's high scale starts at 150. Honestly, hes been having so many highs lately ( endo says hes coming out of honeymoon fast & hard), that anything under 200, Im happy. I worry when he's over 300. I know that some of this is because the grade school nurse would constantly drill into me about damage he's doing w/ bg's over 300. I stopped talking to her cause all that did was cause panic attacks.

I would go with what your endo taught you. You're a mom. You're going to worry. I definately worry about all the kids more than DH. Maybe yours is like mine and just reacts differently. Try not telling hubby how worried you are when highs happen & just treat. In other words, you deal w/ it your way, let him deal with it his. As long as your daughter is being treated correctly, thats all that matters, right? And you have us to talk to and help you thru it. :cwds:

6. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

We consider anything over 140 out of range and we treat it. We do use the words high and low, but you could just as easily say "out of range" if that would make him feel more relaxed about it.

Sometimes words get emotionally charged.

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

you are going to burn out if you panic everytime they are over 150. It just happens as the insulin we give kids cannot mimic a functioning pancreas.

I don't get upset, I just correct anytime he is over 150.

Its diabetes, you have a kid, to expect them to constantly be under 150 will lead to disappointment.

Do your best and correct when you need to, don't get too upset about being hi--its just the nature of the beast.

8. momof1

momof1 Approved members

i only get really concerned when it is close to or over 300 but it does make me watch her more closely when it is over 200. I know I can't keep it under 150 all the time, that is impossible but he thinks 200 -250 is ok and i don't. we also believe wwe are coming out of honeymoon phase, she goes high for a few days and then she will be around normal a few days and over and over for the last couple of weeks. like i said earlier she is very sensitive and if she is like 200-225 and i give her an extra unit per sliding scale she drops in just a little bit so i use my own judgement there plus she seems to feel the best and be the easiest to deal with emotionally when it is under 200. when it is over 200 she can't handle things as well. i do most of the d stuff dh hardly does anything so i think it kind of bugs me when he has an opinion. he sits at work and reads stuff online and trys to tell me how to deal with it. yet I am the one on the front line day in and day out and i am tired and don't have the energy to defend myself to him. it is hard enough to keep up with a very active 8 year old little girl. add d to it and whew.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I think there are two different issues; what's high, and what to say to your daughter.
    I would consider 190 high. I would not consider it advisable to tell your child that that's high.

10. momof1

momof1 Approved members

i think she can handle it she doesn't freak out or anything. she reacts how i teach her to react and if i panoc she will but i don't. now when we had 2 that were over 400 back to back 2 weeks ago i got nervous but we walked and drank water and it came down. thank you for the opinion but my girl is not the problem. my dh is the one that disagrees with me about what is high and not high.

11. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

If it has been over 3 hours since the last shot we correct for anything over 110.
    But this is only since we got the cgms, and only if the activity is low otherwise we wait until about 180.

Keeping in mind also that we are trying to get back in the 7 (or under range) for the next a1c.
    Michael had his highest ever last month:( and Danny was at an 8.

12. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

We look for a range

We look to fall within 80 to 120 when correcting, whether the bolus or plain correction. But we do not correct if he is below 180 (I'm told this is where kidney starts working overtime). On the other hand, in a growing-schooling child, we do not want to be on the low end, we believe he needs the carbs to feed his growth and brain. Also, ADA recommends A1c less than 8% for a child 6 to 12 (which is an average BG of 180). In our case, with few diet restrictions (we let him eat as many carbs as he wants and we just correct for it, no candy though) we manage to be at 6.8% (average BG of 144). We've been like that for almost a year now, with a few peaks here and there mainly during vacations, where he gets a free ride as long as the values don't skyrocket.

13. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I don't think he was trying to imply that your daughter was "the problem," but kids internalize our anxiety whether we recognize it or not.

When you disagree about what's high, are you concerned that your husband won't take corrective action when she's over 200? Or that he just doesn't seem as worried?

14. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

WOW!

The endo just changed her ratio so she would be 2oo at night?

She was having so many lows, that our target was 2oo?

15. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

As far as the human body sees things, anything over 140 is high, and anything over 90 on the average is high.

With D, you can't quite control things to those limits, but it is still good to recognize that anything over 140 is high as far as the body is concerned. It is also good to recognize that when BG is high, it is never anything to be upset about. You just treat it with insulin. Just like when driving on the highway and if you look on the speedometer and see it's over the limit, you recognize that it's unsafe and slow down, but don't freak out about it. Just like with driving, it will happen sometimes. The key is to not let it stay high for long periods of time.

16. momof1

momof1 Approved members

i'm sorry i didn't mean for it to come out that way, i know he wasn't implying that. words didn't come out the way i meant them either, i just was saying that she is ok with it, she doesn't panic or anything and I don't either i make a mental note and i might say thats a little high but we'll get it down. i was just wondering what you guys consider high to see if my thinking was wrong. husband reads a lot online and he's a football man and athletes say they like to be over 200 if they are going out to practice or for a game. i remind him that she is not a grown man and is also not playing a game of football so she doesn't need to be over 200. keeping in mind that if i know she is going to be playing a lot i give her more carbs and less insulin so she doesn't drop. i thought maybe i was being a paranoid mom by thinking 200 and up was high but from most of your posts it seems like you all kind of agree with that. i don't panic or freak out or any of that i just watch her closer. i feel better about my stand though we don't argue about it or anything we just disagree about what is high and not high. we also don't do it in front of kennah.