- advertisement -

What is Going on at American Diabetes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by type1noFun, Jan 5, 2009.

1. type1noFun

type1noFun Approved members

Hello friends

Has anyone else heard that the ADA has laid off hundreds of employees and cut there research funding? I have not seen anything on their forum or newsletter or on this one so I am hoping this is not true.

A friend of mine recently attended a meeting they held in Florida and she said that there was no mention of this. She said she had a blast and all seemed fine. She even got to attend a private receptions (apparently they were held each night) in a hotel suite with the CEO and volunteers. Open bar and very large suites with catering, kitchen and very fancy room. She said there the suite was packed with staff and volunteers and other dignitaries from pharmaceutical companies

I told her I am all for hosting parties if that is the way business gets done BUT in todays economic climate and if they are really cutting jobs and diabetes research but not their alcohol and hotel bill that would be tragic for all of us familys with diabetes. I dont know what to think. I sent a message to the ADA but have not received a response yet. I will post here if they ever respond. Meanwhile, can anyone in this forum shed some light and answers?

Stay strong and healthy

2. type1noFun

Thanks for the clarification Kit Kat. Glad to hear your eye witness account and glad no funding was cut for research and no open bars anywhere at the meeting. Hope you are correct on that.

I DID contact the ADA and as I said in the orig post---NO response as of yet. Left a message on the phone and tried to talk with someone live. Please assume the best intentions of people--whether they are on the forum for 1 day or 3 years like you. We all have a right to respectfully ask questions

You are correct organizations like ADA and JDRF are dependent on public donations and we all have a right to ask questions. Thanks again for your fast reply

P.S. Interesting handle.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

where did you hear all this? Seems like nothing but rumor to me.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just curious, what is your connection to diabetes?

5. type1noFun

As I said in my first post a friend of mine attended the meeting.

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Welcome,

Actually you said there was no mention of this at the meeting your friend attended (see below). I'm confused about the origin of the rumor. Would you be so kind as to clarify. Thank you.

BTW, large organizations often hold events that include food and alcohol and sometimes entertainment, to raise a lot of money. The cost may be justified.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

exactly what Ellen asked. You said:
    and then said your friend saw nothing mentioned and to the contrary saw what you portray as excess. So I"m just wondering where you initially heard that the ADA has laid off hundreds of employees and cut there (sic) research funding.