- advertisement -

What is Available in Canada?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Leece, May 21, 2010.

1. Leece

Leece Approved members

Afternoon, We currently use a Animas Ping and I am wondering if there is a CGM available in Canada which doesn't need a Medronic pump. We are not eligable for another pump for another 5 years or so.

2. typeoneX2

typeoneX2 Approved members

CGM in Canada

I think Medtronic is the only one available in Canada. With that said, I heard a rumour that Animas may distribute the Dexcom in Canada later this year. I have been waiting a long time to buy one...

3. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

The only one available right now in Canada is the minimed brand.
    They have a stand alone unit call the Guardian RT.
    The receiver is a pump body that looks just like the 522 pump but no pump innards. The transmitter and sensors (minilink) are the same as the ones for the paradigm RT pump

4. Leece

Leece Approved members

So would we basically have to wear two pumps? or just buy the Medtronic one and then it would be integrated? When you have the Medtronic do you wear the pump and then an additional sensor?

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

In your situation, if you went with the Medtronic CGM, but couldn't switch to a Medtronic pump, your child would wear the Animas pump and carry the Medtronic receiver. They would wear a sensor on their body (basically like another infusion site) that would beam the readings to the receiver.

We have a Medtronic pump, so readings from the CGM are beamed to the pump screen. We also purchased a stand-alone Guardian receiver that I carry with me (or just leave on the coffee table at home). That way I don't have to ask to see his pump to see the CGM readings.

Make sense?

6. Leece

Leece Approved members

Thank you for the responses.

7. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

We have the medtronic pump but use the Guardian for our CGMS. My son has been carrying two devices for almost two years. We waited for a loooong time for another CGMS to be available here before we purchased the Guardian - just sorry that we didn`t purchase it much sooner.

We can end up spending a lot of time waiting for other technologies, insulins, etc. to cross the border or we can work with what is available. Even once they are approved by Health Canada it can take a long time if ever for them to be marketed here ie: Apidra was approved for use in `06 and wasn`t marketed until January `09, the Omnipod has been approved for about a year and there is still no sign of it coming to market.