- advertisement -

What is a Glucomon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ccarrol4, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

I've heard people mention them, but I have no idea what they are...

2. PokesforLife

PokesforLife Approved members

I am with you! What is it? I am very new to everything Diabetes and this is a very new word for me!!

Can anyone help?

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I think it's like a cell phone or something that inerfaces with a cell-o-phone

4. Anna-C.Momof3

Anna-C.Momof3 Approved members

I have heard that it is a meter that automatically sends the reading to the parents cell phone in a text message. There may be more to it, so hopefully others will chime in.

5. Noel

Noel Approved members

I am no expert but....

I believe that it is a device that plugs into an electrical outlet and then you plug a One Touch meter into the device. When your child tests with the One Touch meter the device automatically send the result of the BG test to a designated cell phone number. I believe that their could be another place that the numbers could be sent to (like a computer or something) but I am not exactly sure. There is no calling that needs to be done, it is done automatically.

It seems like it could be a wonderfully useful tool. Here is the website if you want to check it out.

http://mygluco.com/glucomonhowitworks

The man who owns this company is very nice and will give you tons of info...his name is Kevin. He posts here from time to time. If you e-mail him he will get back to you.

6. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

I guess we should make this a game and the person with the closest answer gets a prize ;)

The GlucoMON is not a cell phone and it is not a website that you upload your meter to. There is no cell phone required to operate a GlucoMON and it does not require families to use all of the features supported by our system (ie, educational quicktips, real-time alerts, automated reports, etc...).

The GlucoMON is a wireless device that functions as part of an automated diabetes management system which we call ADMS. The key to this system is that it 'makes our life easier and we get better results'. This is a typical description from hundreds of families who have used the system since its first use in December 2002.

About ADMS: The system makes it possible to spot blood glucose trends more easily than any other way that we are aware of. Reports arrive via email automatically based on system review of the data (clinical algorithms) or a timed schedule and can be reviewed by anyone and everyone in about 15 seconds. "People" includes the person with diabetes as well as other key people on that person's team (mom, dad, friends, CDEs, endocrinologists, etc...)". In some cases, system members without a PC or Internet at home or office receive paper copies of their reports weekly via USPS first class mail.

Because of this weekly review and subsequent actions, people who use ADMS are lowering their A1c's, have less frequent hypoglycemia, less frequent hyperglycemia and according to surveys show improvements in quality of life indicators such as decreased anxiety and guilt, time savings, etc... One of the ADMS features is 'glucose alerts' which are copies of blood glucose results in the meter sent automatically to any email address including cell phones as a text message (this is what most people think of when they think of a GlucoMON).

Kid at school checks with meter, connects to GlucoMON (when GlucoMON is located at school classroom or office) and mom gets a text message on cell phone... but that is just one feature of the system. ​

ADMS is also designed to support any device, not just our own GlucoMON and not just blood glucose meters. It is also an open platform for third party analysis tools like predictive algorithm development, testing and optimization. However, since ADMS is primarily about ease of use, reliability and integrity, we have to certify anything that becomes part of the system and other companies / researchers have to decide if it's worth it to be part of an easy to use system.

About the GlucoMON: It is a GSM/GPRS wireless appliance that is usually kept at home and used once or twice a week. It currently supports the OneTouch family of meters. The GlucoMON manages your meter too making sure that the internal clock of the meter is accurate thus ensuring accurate timestamped bg data. My company, Diabetech, handles all of the wireless airtime cost as part of our cost which means it's easy for anyone to get started. No trip to the phone store necessary - it just works out of the box. We are working on support for one or two additional meters early next year. Ultra is the current production meter while Ultra2 and Mini are undergoing final testing in the lab. The GlucoMON is self-contained and requires nothing but electricity to operate.

Connect meter to GlucoMON, Disconnect when the blue light tells you to which is usually in about 20 seconds...).​

I hope this helps and if you still have questions there is a lot of info at mygluco.com or you can email me to discuss specific situations and how this system has already helped others.