- advertisement -

What inovation do you think could be the the most helpful to deal with diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Angus Hall, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Angus Hall

Angus Hall New Member

I for a while known a little kid with type 1 diabetes. He has just recently turned 6 and hasn't known life without diabetes since some close calls at the hospital as a baby until he was diagnosed. I have long seen his parents struggle with many issues like having to manage his eating, dealing with the costs of insulin and pumps, and most of all not knowing if any of his other caretakers had enough knowledge of his condition while they were away from him. I have recently had the chance to join a buisness pitch competition where one can win a considerable amount of money to let their ideas go somewhere. With the posibility of any of these buisnesses becoming real I wanted to make a product that could help this kid and his family. What I have noticed seems to be the biggest struggle for his parents and caretakers is the seperate devices connecting to his cgm and pump. So my idea is to create a childproof smartwatch that could function as a cgm while also being able to trigger his pump that could be seperately be controlled by a smartphone. Certain devices like this exhist, but none I have been able to find seem to be able to control a cgm and pump in one device. Not just this, but I have struggled to find any child specific devices for diabetes. I would appreciate any input as I don't know everything about diabetes nor do I really know the day to day struggles many parents and individuals face. What do you like about this idea, and what would you change?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I would suggest you spend some time researching DIY pancreas, Loop, OpenAps, and Omniloop to see the amazing things that diabetics have developed for themselves that are far superior to what is on the market. These are already doing what you're proposing.