advertisement

WHat home insurance for PUMP insurance

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Little Diabetic Dude, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Little Diabetic Dude

Little Diabetic Dude Approved members

I have just rung our current home insurer they don't cover medical items such as a pump. So my wuestion is
    WHat type of insurance do I need and who does this type odf insurance they said it would be around $30 a yr does this sound right. ANyone have it???
    TIA

2. lisab

lisab Approved members

Mel, Check out - AAMI (House and Contents) - will cover for specific medical devices up to the replacement value, other medical unspecified up to $3000.00. all other medical consumables - insulin/test strips/pump supplies etc.,

You can check it out online. When you speak to a consultant be sure to ask for a quote inclusive of specific medical device Insulin Pump and estimated replacement value.

Are you paying out of pocket for the pump????

I know of some who have taken out health cover for their child only......(minimal cost) Pump company will usually loan a pump for the 12 month waiting period.:D Info not common knowledge! Enquire with pump company they should also be helpful with Health insurance companies who will cover the cost of the pump etc.,

If you have enquired as to whether pump is covered under Health Insurance and have been told NO. It is because it is covered as a 'prosthetic', with those insurers who do (some Health insurance companies do not cover any prosthetics) - not stated as 'Insulin Pump' (some customer service reps wouldn't even know this!!):eek:

Another option for those who pay out of pocket for the pump (who don't have Private Health Cover) - you can claim .30c in the $1 as Medical Expenditure (What Medicare doesn't cover) in your Tax Return!

Hope I haven't confused you with the info - just wanted to pass it on, thought the above info may help others who may not have private health insurance .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. millyyates

millyyates Approved members

Our home and contents is GIO. It costs about $50 to specifically list the pump at $8,000. It is therefore covered for loss or theft inside or away from home. Hope this helps.

4. Little Diabetic Dude

Little Diabetic Dude Approved members

Thanks lisa and milly I have looked into a few companies and have been told to fork out about 150-330 extra year on top of my home and contents insurance. I will ring both aami and gio for a quote. OUr pump is a loan pump around $8000 so need to get it insured asap.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Ours is listed as an extra to our home and contents with AMI, but it doesn't cost any extra. They already covered a Dexcom receiver I drowned when I said it was an 'add-on' to our pump.

6. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Does anyone know if NRMA covers the pump under contents insurance?

7. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I tried without any luck to get our pump covered for acci dental loss.was unsuccessful.tried all the major insursnce co in area.

Our pump is covered for theft through homeowners. Would just have to pay our deductible. I don't worry about it anymore. I mean if we can't find pump, then it must be stolen